Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 4th, 2016, 04:08 PM
kilemall kilemall is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,995
Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default

Oh, also, this really helps the Free Trader on the edge of bankruptcy or space to economize on crew rates, or the greedy megacorps that hires one competent lead and all the rest apprentices.

It's false economy when trouble strikes, but hey, maybe trouble will never come.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 4th, 2016, 05:04 PM
atpollard's Avatar
atpollard atpollard is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Richey
Posts: 9,444
Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Level 3 Certification- Senior

Monthly Pay- Base x 2
Certification Fee- Base x 6

Certification Expiration
9 Years

Time required
4 days for each test, 3 days board, 1 month intern- 6 weeks total

Rolls
Written Test 8+
Simulation Test 10+
Oral Examination Board 8+
Intern 10+

Common job titles- Senior, Chief, Lead
Example- Senior Pilot, Lead Steward
Special note- this is the level at which Medics are titled Doctors- Dex 8+ are Surgeons, with an additional doubling of pay.
So let me see if I understand this correctly. My character musters out of the Navy with Engineering-3 and wants to get paid for his skill. So I need to pay 3000 credits x 6 = 18,000 credits to take the tests.

Written = (2d6+3)[5][5](10)
Simulation = (2d6+3)[2][5](7)
Oral = (2d6+3)[5][2](7)
Intern = (2d6+3)[5][3](8)

Yay, I passed all 4 rolls.
So my certified chief engineer will now earn 6000 credits per month for the next 9 years, when he will need to be recertified.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 4th, 2016, 05:23 PM
pendragonman pendragonman is offline
Absent Friends Margrave
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 2,908
Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
So let me see if I understand this correctly. My character musters out of the Navy with Engineering-3 and wants to get paid for his skill. So I need to pay 3000 credits x 6 = 18,000 credits to take the tests.

Written = [roll0]
Simulation = [roll1]
Oral = [roll2]
Intern = [roll3]

Yay, I passed all 4 rolls.
So my certified chief engineer will now earn 6000 credits per month for the next 9 years, when he will need to be recertified.
Coulda just stayed in the Navy...

And its the potetial to make 6K a month. Nothing says that there is an opening for a Chief Engineer rated engineer.
__________________
[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis.[/COLOR]
[/B]
[B][COLOR="Green"]3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana.[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Crimson"]Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.[/COLOR][/B]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 4th, 2016, 05:41 PM
atpollard's Avatar
atpollard atpollard is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Richey
Posts: 9,444
Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Coulda just stayed in the Navy...

And its the potetial to make 6K a month. Nothing says that there is an opening for a Chief Engineer rated engineer.
What bothers me about it was my quick and dirty analysis indicates about a 1 in 4 chance of making all 4 of those rolls. That means about 75% of the time, I will be flushing that exam fee down the drain with a year to wait before I can even get another chance at that 25% pass rate certification.

So don't you tell me that there MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT be a need for a cerified chief engineer or we have finally discovered the reason why Piracy exits. All those high skill Spacer's shafted by the certification system, unable to find work, and broke from the exam fees.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 4th, 2016, 06:32 PM
pendragonman pendragonman is offline
Absent Friends Margrave
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 2,908
Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
What bothers me about it was my quick and dirty analysis indicates about a 1 in 4 chance of making all 4 of those rolls. That means about 75% of the time, I will be flushing that exam fee down the drain with a year to wait before I can even get another chance at that 25% pass rate certification.

So don't you tell me that there MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT be a need for a cerified chief engineer or we have finally discovered the reason why Piracy exits. All those high skill Spacer's shafted by the certification system, unable to find work, and broke from the exam fees.
Or we have found out just exactly why it is soooo lucrative to run one of those "teach the test" places.

While I agree that the exams should be hard, what has not been discussed yet is whether or not the actually owned skill level is a modifier to the rolls.

Using the actual skill level as a mod will normalize the tests, making them much more passable for those of the skill level or higher, but will be a deterrent to those without that high a skill level.

Compare this to the Actuarial exams, or the exams offered by the various trade unions, or the Microsoft certifications, etc.

The exam should not flunk 3/4 of those who attempt it if they hold the proper skill level.
__________________
[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis.[/COLOR]
[/B]
[B][COLOR="Green"]3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana.[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Crimson"]Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.[/COLOR][/B]
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM
atpollard's Avatar
atpollard atpollard is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Richey
Posts: 9,444
Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Or we have found out just exactly why it is soooo lucrative to run one of those "teach the test" places.

While I agree that the exams should be hard, what has not been discussed yet is whether or not the actually owned skill level is a modifier to the rolls.

Using the actual skill level as a mod will normalize the tests, making them much more passable for those of the skill level or higher, but will be a deterrent to those without that high a skill level.

Compare this to the Actuarial exams, or the exams offered by the various trade unions, or the Microsoft certifications, etc.

The exam should not flunk 3/4 of those who attempt it if they hold the proper skill level.
Just to be clear, that was a 1 in 4 chance of passing WITH skill-3 as a modifier to all four rolls. The odds of passing without that +3 are frightening.

Try rolling 2d6 four times and beating 8+ on all four rolls and 10+ twice in those four rolls with almost twenty thousand credits on the line!

[EDIT: 15/36 x 6/36 x 15/36 x 6/36 = 0.00482 = < 1 in 200 chance of passing.]
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:42 PM
kilemall kilemall is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,995
Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
So let me see if I understand this correctly. My character musters out of the Navy with Engineering-3 and wants to get paid for his skill. So I need to pay 3000 credits x 6 = 18,000 credits to take the tests.

Written = [roll0]
Simulation = [roll1]
Oral = [roll2]
Intern = [roll3]

Yay, I passed all 4 rolls.
So my certified chief engineer will now earn 6000 credits per month for the next 9 years, when he will need to be recertified.
That's it.

It's largely rigged that if you have the skill you will likely pass.

But, maybe not. And it would be a SHAME if you blew your mustering out life savings on a failed certification attempt.

Maybe you can still pass that Apprentice Steward test.....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:44 PM
kilemall kilemall is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,995
Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Or we have found out just exactly why it is soooo lucrative to run one of those "teach the test" places.

While I agree that the exams should be hard, what has not been discussed yet is whether or not the actually owned skill level is a modifier to the rolls.

Using the actual skill level as a mod will normalize the tests, making them much more passable for those of the skill level or higher, but will be a deterrent to those without that high a skill level.

Compare this to the Actuarial exams, or the exams offered by the various trade unions, or the Microsoft certifications, etc.

The exam should not flunk 3/4 of those who attempt it if they hold the proper skill level.
No, the skill levels ARE mods, is that not clear?

It's designed to let people pass most of the time if they have the skill, but have a chance they won't with bad luck, and make it difficult for the less skilled to pass but not impossible with luck or perhaps bribery/hacking.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:56 PM
kilemall kilemall is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,995
Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Coulda just stayed in the Navy...

And its the potetial to make 6K a month. Nothing says that there is an opening for a Chief Engineer rated engineer.
That's the other part. I would tend to reuse the underlying matrix for the passenger system to define job openings instead of available passengers.

Low passage would be available level 0-1 level jobs, mid passage level 2 jobs, and high passage level 3 jobs.

So on a low pop rock, it may be weeks before even a level 1 working passage opens up.

And, they may not be for the specialty one has. Could be people hold lower certifications too in their secondary skills 'just in case'

The system could also be used in reverse, to see what crew is available at what skill level desired.

Level 4 Master jobs are not going to be on the job boards- too specialized, 'discrete', dangerous and expensive, it would be patrons and people who know people going both ways in order for a deal to be struck, or waiting for the 'right' job rather then picking up lower paying jobs beneath their station.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 4th, 2016, 08:07 PM
pendragonman pendragonman is offline
Absent Friends Margrave
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 2,908
Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Just to be clear, that was a 1 in 4 chance of passing WITH skill-3 as a modifier to all four rolls. The odds of passing without that +3 are frightening.

Try rolling 2d6 four times and beating 8+ on all four rolls and 10+ twice in those four rolls with almost twenty thousand credits on the line!

[EDIT: 15/36 x 6/36 x 15/36 x 6/36 = 0.00482 = < 1 in 200 chance of passing.]
Just checking your math, if including the skill levels then 2 rolls of 5+ and 2 rolls of 7+, right? So ~23.5%?
__________________
[B][COLOR="darkgreen"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - General James Mattis.[/COLOR]
[/B]
[B][COLOR="Green"]3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana.[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Crimson"]Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by pendragonman; September 4th, 2016 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T5 - An Ammo Option Licheking Reference 0 June 26th, 2013 01:06 PM
"Riding the Gas"; pilot licensing and certification GamingGlen The Lone Star 8 May 11th, 2013 07:00 AM
in-game skill advancement flykiller In My Traveller Universe 4 April 10th, 2004 11:31 PM
May we please have a 3D starmap option for T5? thrash Pre-Release Discussion 10 March 19th, 2001 04:57 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.