Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Yeah, 200 containers is a lot. And, it doesn't have to be a circle - it can cover just one side. The idea is to simply put up a barrier that might provide some advantage if some chucklehead decides to play Goldfinger. If you stacked them 3-4 high, you could provide a barrier that - given movement to and from it - would be about 30m long. That's enough to provide protection on one side. Or, stack them 2 high, and put one up on each side (or front and back).

As to picking them up twice - unless you want the loaders sitting and idling with loads on them for two days, it would be better to move all the cargo to the pad with all but, say, 2 of the loaders, with 2 loaders constantly moving it into the bay. The loaders can move the containers much more easily to the pad than they can into the ship (the opening isn't outrageously wide - 9m). You have two simultaneous chains going - one to the landing pad, the other from the landing pad (into the ship). You previously stated the containers are scattered all over (though some appear ready to go on your map), so time/distance to the landing pad is variable. You make up for this variable by having the loads delivered to the landing area by one chain, and another chain that puts it into the ship. It also allows you to stagger your work crews, since you can build up a bit on the landing pad, let those crews rest, while swapping out crews on the ship loaders to keep them moving non-stop. (Your chain to the pad will likely be faster, since it doesn't have the same constraints as working inside the ship - more care has to be taken in there, and it takes more time to precisely set down a container than it does to stack it outside.)

Also, if something goes wrong in loading the ship (and it always does - a broken lock, or a container set down wrong), then you continue piling up cargo on the pad, instead of forcing everyone to stop work. Once you have *all* the cargo staged to the pad, then you can dismiss a bunch of your workers, or convert to shorter shifts on the ship loaders. Either one saves money, and the second adds safety (since longer hours means more mistakes).
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:07 AM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Ya know everyone, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to pick up a VRF GG or at least a heavy machinegun to mount on a pintel on the Air/Raft.

We could then even land it on top of the ship to protect is from sneak attack and use it to float around for security.

Something to think about for the future.
You remember this is an enclosed air-raft? Would require some modifications.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:10 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Quote:
We could then even land it on top of the ship to protect is from sneak attack and use it to float around for security.
We can still use it for that - put it in the air with one of our rifleman in it, and it is still pretty handy (even if he's just using the weapon sights for being a lookout).
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:10 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

I thought it was just your basic out-of-the-box open-topped job. Well, Max could probably cut open a hole for the gunner with a sliding hatch or something for when we don't mount the gun, and weld up a pintel for it when we get something to stick on it.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:12 AM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
We can still use it for that - put it in the air with one of our rifleman in it, and it is still pretty handy (even if he's just using the weapon sights for being a lookout).
For now, yeah - but I was thinking if we ever have to scramble on board in a hurry and need covering fire it'd be nice to have a medium or heavy MG to lay down fire. Same if we have to go somewhere in it that might be hostile territory to pick up a crewman, goods, or rob a bank.

It's good to keep our options open and the gun can be stowed when we drive through the better neighborhoods.

Old September 11th, 2013, 02:12 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

I think he meant it was designated as an enclosed air/raft somewhere - like page 1 of the ship's document.
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:14 AM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Yeah, I edited my answer.

Old September 11th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Any advantage in having the small craft (Launch?) fly high cover?
Eyes in the sky sort of thing?

Is it armed?
If not, what about an open door to act as a sniper platform?
Old September 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Another thought that occurs to me is how does someone actually steal this stuff? I mean, we just had a long discussion about needing special equipment and procedures to load these small, but ultra heavy containers into a RORO starship. Four guys are not going to drive up and throw a 20 ton brick into a pickup and drive off. So how could someone steal it?

Beyond that, this is a goldmine. They ALWAYS have precious cargo here and they live with the threat (and probably reality) of attempts to 'rob Fort Knox' all of the time ... when they mine, when they store it, when they load it for transport, when it is being transported. They probably have some experience that might be worth listening to for advice.

It seems to me that hijacking a starship full of 'treasure' is probably the low hanging fruit for any criminal endeavor. We need to focus on CCC for the ship. That seems the best way to steal a fortune in 20 ton bricks and run off with it.

Just some thoughts.
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:04 AM

Visit atpollard's Blog

Quote:
(OOC) Unless I missed something the other ship doesn't arrive until the 17th - almost two days from now counting what's left from today.

So maybe Nero is expecting someone else might get here that the ship contacted after it jumped in. Or contacted the ship after he/she saw Nero's deal with us being put together? Industrial spying to keep the lanthanum trade locked up...who knows. I'm a paranoid guy.
One thought that occurs to me (in case we end up on the other side of needing to get from Jump to surface fast): How fast is a launch or ship's boat?

Could a ship zip a high priority passenger from 100 diameters to surface at 6G on a small craft while the ship lumbers in at 2G (or 3G in our case)?
Closed Thread