Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old December 29th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 0
Bishop Odo Citizen
Thanks for the info, I found a good description in MT last night, I also found a rather long posting on How Jumps Work at the Traveller Mailing List, which I just joined. More stuff to read and digest, yeah

http://mattersofscale.blogspot.com/
Old December 29th, 2002, 05:59 PM

Bishop Odo Citizen
I’m working up some ship stats in T20 and I realized that jump fuel and power plant fuel are total different and calculated separately. I realize this is just a game, but why? Does the jump engine create its own power and if so, can it be shunted to operate the ship if the power plant is off line and not in jump space? I took it for granted that all fuel is processed by the power plant and then distributed to the jump engine. So shouldn’t, the jump engines just require a specific amount power only.

From another thread, G:T also says that it's the REACTOR that is used to maintain the bubble in jumpspace. Anyone have any thoughts? I realize I’m missing something, I thought I’d asked the more experience designers out there.

Old December 29th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
BigBadRon Citizen
IIRC: From previous versions of Trav, the Jump Drive has its own power plant, which creates a vast amount of power in a short burst. Most of the power goes into pushing the ship into jump space and building the field around it, but some of it feeds to accumulators that maintain the bubble while the ship is in jump.
You could use jump fuel for the power plant instead, but only if you don't need it to jump.

Revenge is a dish best served cold? No, ice cream is a dish best served cold...
Old December 29th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

alanm Citizen
The jump drive uses most of its fuel in a short burn. There is a description of how the jump drive works on p352 of the T20 handbook.
Old December 31st, 2002, 02:40 AM

Bishop Odo Citizen
I have done some further research and found differences in the various edition of traveler. T20 jump engines have a EP requirement that is derived from the ships power plant, pg 265, in addition to the required hydrogen fuel. MT requires only hydrogen fuel to be provided to the jump drives and the drives itself produces the power.

So, what does all this mean? Since I have the Starship Operators Manuel and want to use it as cannon, and I would like to participate in the T20 community with canon deck plans and ship stats I’m forced to use both. Which in reality is not that hard, it just gets a little confusing for my players and myself sometimes, hopping from system to system.

Old December 31st, 2002, 05:59 AM

Gallery : 8
BigBadRon Citizen
Okay. If I was trying to explain Jump for T20, I'd say that the initial shift into Jump Space needs a vast surge of power (too much for a regular powerplant, which is designed for a continuous output, to handle).
The Jump Drive is a specially modified power plant designed to operate at very high output levels for a short time.
The drive burns all of its own fuel doing this, but once in Jump Space only a trickle of power (which the regular power plant can handle) is required to maintain the field which surrounds the ship. That power is fed through the Jump Drive too since that already has the Field Generators built into it.

Revenge is a dish best served cold? No, ice cream is a dish best served cold...
Old December 31st, 2002, 10:02 AM

marginaleye Citizen
Cool

I've never liked the "jump drive as high-output fusion reactor" theory, if only because (a) it is exceedingly strange that nobody has ever used such power plants for anything else, and (b) if the jump drive generates its own power, then ships with large jump drives shouldn't require large power plants, too.

I have a grotesquely heretical theory regarding the nature of the jump drive, and the role of the "fuel" it consumes.

The jump drive is a highly esoteric kind of reaction engine. As the ship drops into hyperspace, its power plant reduces all of that liquid hydrogen to energetic plasma, which is fed into the jump drive proper (the bigger the jump, the more plasma is needed, and the hotter it has to be, hence the need for larger power plants). At the heart of the jump drive lies a spherical chamber, which receives the plasma stream, and at the center of this chamber lies the deeply mysterious point of no-return, where the plasma stream vanishes. The orientation of the plasma stream relative to the point, the ship's energized lanthanum hull-grid, and any nearby massive objects (like stars and planets) in the ship's vicinity determines the direction of the jump. It's not clear where the plasma goes -- it is generally assumed that is swallowed up by hyperspace, and then "misjumps" back into our universe, as widely-scattered individual atoms of interstellar hydrogen. The point is, by the way, an temporary phenomenon, generated by gravitic and electromagnetic mechanisms within the drive -- when the jump drive is switched off, it vanishes.

The jump fuel is "reaction mass," which "disturbs" the unstable boundary between ordinary, everyday space, and hyperspace, during the transition process. The analogy to ordinary rocket engines is, of course, a very loose one...
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Uncle Bob Citizen
The best answer is that it just is, but...

Van den Broek's modification to Alcubierre's warp drive still requires several grams of negative energy to work. My own theory is that the jump hydrogen is expended to create that negative mass.

Possibly because creating the negative mass produces an equivilent amount of positive energy which the jump fuel carries away as an explosion. Unrefined fuel is not homogenous and can cause an asymetrical negative mass and a missjump.

BTW, van den Broek, Miguel Alcubierre, and the Alcubierre drive are real. Do a websearch.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old December 31st, 2002, 11:26 PM

Bishop Odo Citizen
I agree with you Uncle Bob, the final answer is of course, “that’s just the way it works”. However as a game master and player, I like to be consistent with my rulings and have some background codified to rely upon. I like to encourage players to get into their roles by using the idioms or chrome of the universe. BigBadRon Idea about integrating the T20 and MT canon follows my thinking. I have read the Starship operators manual, worth the price I might add, and a long article from the Traveller mailing list on “How Jumps work,” which has a unique view that venting hydrogen during the jump help create and maintains the jump field bubble. While the venting of hydrogen is not necessary canon, I think I can live with it, and changing the fuel requirement would create more problems than it would solve.

Old January 1st, 2003, 12:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Veilheim Citizen
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with you Uncle Bob, the final answer is of course, “that’s just the way it works”. However as a game master and player, I like to be consistent with my rulings and have some background codified to rely upon. I like to encourage players to get into their roles by using the idioms or chrome of the universe. BigBadRon Idea about integrating the T20 and MT canon follows my thinking. I have read the Starship operators manual, worth the price I might add, and a long article from the Traveller mailing list on “How Jumps work,” which has a unique view that venting hydrogen during the jump help create and maintains the jump field bubble. While the venting of hydrogen is not necessary canon, I think I can live with it, and changing the fuel requirement would create more problems than it would solve.
You're on the right track though. Don't worry, what you're seeing (between CT, High Guard, MT, TNE, T4) has always been a problem. Most long time traveller players are either masochists or gearheads, and for people who had to figure out how to carve their own D20's "way back when", coping with a little rules inconsistency wasn't a big deal.

While this is going to sound trite, take what you like and run with it. It will start to flow more smoothly as you get used to it.

Brennan