Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old April 4th, 2021, 08:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
mega-striker Citizen

OH, NOT flames of boredom. Played it and can't stand it. Striker as originally written is miles above it. For platoon and under (skirmish level) starting from Force on Force or Chain of Command would be a much better start. I am working on Ambush Alley! for solo modern skirmish level gaming right now and think it may be a good start. I will eventually look into adding sci fi and Striker will be the prime source.

When I started this thread my intention was for a set of rule for 6mm and I will return to that. But for now 15mm skirmish has my attention. Striker is that but I find some of the mechanics dated and awkward for regular gaming.
Old April 4th, 2021, 09:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-3

Phillip Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega-striker View Post
OH, NOT flames of boredom. .....

When I started this thread my intention was for a set of rule for 6mm and I will return to that. ......
I quite like the rules and played some amazing games of Flames of War, but my post was more about the way things are organised and the models sold. And a commercial operation that makes money thus allowing ongoing development and support for the new version of Striker I am hopeful for.

I really enjoyed playing Striker when it was released using GW's 15mm Traveller minis. And the minis for a custom rule set using the Azhanti High Lightning floorpans.

But the tabletop miniatures game I enjoyed most was GW's 6mm Epic 40K.

Yes there are rulesets and minis out there, but unfortunately the vast majority of 15mm sci fi minis are not great models and I like the aesthetics as much as the game play. So hoping that a Striker fan has won the 122 million euro lottery this weekend and will license the IP and make a superb set of 15mm miniatures and decent ruleset for Striker. In my opinion there are plenty of factions and well established fluff to make a game that would sell well.
Old April 4th, 2021, 09:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-3

Phillip Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
....... In my opinion there are plenty of factions and well established fluff to make a game that would sell well.
Quoting myself is bad, for that I apologise.

However hitting post made me realise that my opinion counts as much as the success of Fates Fantasy Battle and the second edition The Fates Fantasy Battle.

Exactly!

All that I achieved with what I thought was a great set of rules and miniatures was an empty bank account .....
Old April 4th, 2021, 02:47 PM

mega-striker Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
And a commercial operation that makes money thus allowing ongoing development and support for the new version of Striker I am hopeful for.

I really enjoyed playing Striker when it was released using GW's 15mm Traveller minis. And the minis for a custom rule set using the Azhanti High Lightning floorpans.
I am not familiar with the GW 15mm Traveller minis. I do have the old ('80s) Traveller minis Citadel released in box sets. I still have the boxes, nowadays they hold all my Journals of the Traveller's Aid Society journals (all back to #1).

Great minis still available in weird wargame mixes now from RAFM. I have a couple sets painted up for gaming. I just finished basing them with 1/2" washers as my method of transport (just starting there as well) uses magnetic sheet bases.

Actually I like Snapshot a little better than AHL, mostly because it accounts for weapon length. Someday I have to work up rules to integrate them. But yea using 15mm on 1/2" grid floor maps is way fun.

Frankly I never played 40K. It may be a good or great system but the orks in space (and every other fantasy species transported there), skulls on everything and quasi nazi regalia is a big turn off for me.
Old April 4th, 2021, 02:52 PM

mega-striker Citizen

My beef with FoW is the way it played. Like something best left in the '70s. My opponent had a line of Marders, yes fender to fender in the open which dominated the game board. Three passes by Sturmoviks had little effect. The crew just jumped out then back in right away. He also "built" all his units by playing accountant and points analyzing everything. Turned his kid and me off. But his kid has to live there I don't.

Just unrealistic game play and results is what I saw all that day. Real world tactics were a joke. Just line everything up fender to fender from Leningrad to Sevastopol and the Germans can't go any further. Or in our game do the same with your Marders and Berlin is safe forever.