Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old September 17th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
autochthonic Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to autochthonic Send a message via AIM to autochthonic
Arrow

Does anyone know what it would cost to start a Traveller style life for real?

I mean what would it cost to have an ocean-going vessel that carries small cargo from port to port internationally? Is the modern-day equivalent of a Free Trader financially possible and how much would it cost to buy and operate?
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+
You're talking about owning and/or operating a "Tramp Steamer".
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:49 PM

clementk Citizen
I suggest also looking into traveling Circus/Carnivals; musical, acting, and similar groups that go on tour for months on end; Irish Travellers*; fair/amusement park vendors and acts; shipping companies (truck drivers for starters); monks and others on say a pilgrimage (not limited to Christianity) and similar types. There are some additional examples in history but you seem to be asking for current analogues.

Hmmm, also those travel shows that often show up on PBS/BBC America/Discovery channels in the States. Some of these people seem to be professional explorer/traveler/tourist types.

To me all these groups are valid as inspirations for Travellers in Traveller. The key is the desire or need to travel and some way, preferably more than one, to earn your passage and some pocket money on the journey.

Casey (and this is why my 2nd T20 character was an ex-acrobat who'd worked for Authenticists ^_^ )

* which is actually where I first came across the word Traveller in recent memory, having forgotten about the game Traveller at the time
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
The Irish Travellers I have encountered rip off old ladies by tarring their driveways with Black Paint. They also seem to have no problem marrying a minor girl to a non-minor man, and do so in a horrific "Parade" of "eligible" bachleorettes. 20/20 had a film of it. Icky, to understate.

Members of the group also staged the "rape" case scam at Disney World, where a young woman claimed to have been raped by a stranger that got into the Disney Hotel, but it turned out that she mereley had sex with her boyfriend, and had her brothers beat her up.

These are interesting groups to study, but I recommend doing it from afar. The "Joining the Circus" notion is exceedingly different from the reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 20
Madarin Dude Citizen
Well there are many ex pats living in differnent countries and move around to see the world. ( Iam an American and I have lived in Iceland Saudi Arabia dn now China) You have to take oppurtunities and move and see the world. I am by no means rich. It takes some initiative and a certain lack of fear of being out of familiar surroundings. The tramp freighter idea also sounds interesting to me but I am a man of limited means.
Old September 18th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Ran Targas Citizen
^ I've met several vagabonds during my time overseas who seem to be true Travellers. One girl in particular, an Israeli, sold paintings and jewelry on the street in Japan to fund her travels in India, Thailand, Tibet, and Bhutan. I believe she only had what she could carry or store away safely. I would run into her in the strangest places and she introduced me to the youth hostel experience. In Hong Kong, she convinced me to go to a Jackie Chan movie shoot and try out as extras. Amazingly free and without responsibility, I always wondered how she did it.
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:43 PM

RainOfSteel Citizen
Here are a couple of links concerning traveling aboard or operating tramp freighters.

The Internet Guide to Freighter Travel
http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/mainmenu.html

The book: "Freighter Captain, by Max Hardberger"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...558511-0058365

EDIT---
Test Characters
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Tony Canopus Citizen
I would like to get a surplus soviet sub and go marauding, after the necessary modifications were made... Sport Fishermen and Pleasure yachters beware, Har! It would be Stand and Deliver or they would taste the bad end of a cement- warheaded torpedo to the waterline!
Old September 18th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Visit Arthur Denger's Blog
Arthur Denger Citizen
[img]graemlins/paragraph.gif[/img] A writer with whom I once corresponded booked passage aboard a so-called tramp freighter: he highly recommmended the experience. Cost: a fraction of that of a cruise ship or ocean liner like the QE2. Time involved: plan for it to take a bit longer, you'll be going the scenic route (or not so much so). I understand it is still possible to book working passage aboard such vessels, as well. [img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img]
Old September 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM

Shadowdancer Citizen
I read a story once about young Americans who would backpack throughout Europe and Asia. One fascinating piece of information I remember from the story is that many of them would fund their travels by selling their worn Levi's jeans on the black market.

They would buy as many new pairs of jeans in the U.S. as they could carry in their baggage. They would wear two pairs, alternating as they did wash, until the jeans became soft and faded. Then they would sell them on the black market for up to the equivalent of $500 U.S., and start breaking in two more pairs of jeans.

If they ran out of jeans before they wanted to come home, they would get family or friends to ship them some more new pairs.
\"A good Traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.\" -- Lau Tsu<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68150\" target=\"_blank\">Traveller T20 Tales of the Bray Keaven story hour</a>