Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old April 16th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+
Default Adapting Forbidden Planet as a Traveller setting

Here is the link for the background:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet
What do you think about adapting this movie as a Traveller Adventure? What tech level are we talking about here? What are the similarities and differences between the setting of this movie and the standard Traveller setting? Ignore the cheesy science fiction affects and the clunky robot for a bit and translate it to something more contemporary.
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Here is the link for the background:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet
What do you think about adapting this movie as a Traveller Adventure? What tech level are we talking about here? What are the similarities and differences between the setting of this movie and the standard Traveller setting? Ignore the cheesy science fiction affects and the clunky robot for a bit and translate it to something more contemporary.
I would have to go back and watch my DVD of the movie so as to catch everything, but here are some thoughts.

The entire planet is one big power plant, so you have no power limits, but it does not appear that the Krell had fusion power. That makes sense, as the first fusion bomb had not been detonated that much before the movie. The movie was made in 1956, with the first hydrogen bomb test in 1952 and the Castle Bravo shot of 15 megatons in 1954. Fission reactors were just starting to come in. Probably the Krell did have fusion power, allowing for added information since the movie.

The technology for direct conversion of mental thoughts into physical matter existed, and I would have to see where, if anywhere, in Traveller 5.10 that shows up. The process would be mentals images tapping into the planet power plant and then converting energy into matter and projecting that matter to a varying distance. Matter Transport is Tech Level 25, but this is far beyond that, so maybe Tech Level 33. the highest listed?

The movie does have interstellar Faster-than-Light communication, but that is Earth and not the Krell. However, that is beyond Tech Level 15, so places Earth as more advanced than the current Traveller Universe, along with the interstellar drive being beyond the Jump Drive.

Overall, the Earth's technology would be somewhat above what the Traveller Universe is, while the Krell technology is about 33.

That does not make for an easy conversion of the movie into the Traveller Universe.

I do have the Krell in my Out Rim sector, having them fascinated by the wide range of Biomes on Earth, and therefore turning the sector into a large biological experiment and study area using Earth's creatures. Altair IV does appear to be a bit arid, so the plentiful supply of water on Earth provides a much wider range of habitats. No "brain booster"equipment however, but I do use some concepts borrowed from Andre Norton for other technologies on various planets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.

Last edited by Timerover51; April 16th, 2021 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Correcting spelling.
Old April 16th, 2021, 05:44 PM

Gallery : 30
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

But make sure to update the ray cannons...

In the movie the ship's captain has a line that (they're shooting at the monster) the cannon is hitting it with something like "... ten billion electron-volts..." which is like nothing. It's one of those pseudo-scientific lines that when you hear it and know about how much that translates into say watts it makes the line hilarious.
Old April 16th, 2021, 11:19 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoki View Post
But make sure to update the ray cannons...

In the movie the ship's captain has a line that (they're shooting at the monster) the cannon is hitting it with something like "... ten billion electron-volts..." which is like nothing. It's one of those pseudo-scientific lines that when you hear it and know about how much that translates into say watts it makes the line hilarious.
Rather than rolling on the floor laughing at the comment, how would you express the view that the creature is absorbing an immense amount of energy in terms that the viewers in 1956 would understand?

It was only 11 years after the atomic bomb drops, within 4 years of the first text of a hydrogen bomb, using liquid deuterium, and two years after the Castle Bravo test and the "Lucky Dragon" incident. The U.S.S. Nautilus had not travelled under the North Pole yet, and Sputnik was a year away.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old April 16th, 2021, 11:57 PM

Gallery : 30
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerover51 View Post
Rather than rolling on the floor laughing at the comment, how would you express the view that the creature is absorbing an immense amount of energy in terms that the viewers in 1956 would understand?

It was only 11 years after the atomic bomb drops, within 4 years of the first text of a hydrogen bomb, using liquid deuterium, and two years after the Castle Bravo test and the "Lucky Dragon" incident. The U.S.S. Nautilus had not travelled under the North Pole yet, and Sputnik was a year away.

See, it can be done correctly. Just in 1956 nobody knew what an electron-volt was...

In any case, I absolutely love the look of those ray cannons! That is so imaginative.
Old April 18th, 2021, 07:10 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

1 TeV: A trillion electronvolts, or 1.60210−7 J, about the kinetic energy of a flying mosquito.
Old April 18th, 2021, 12:41 PM

10 billion electron-volts is 10 billion electrons. I would like to see the weapon that harnesses the power of 10 billion electrons, THAT WOULD BE SOME AWESOME WEAPON!
Old April 18th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

No it wouldn't.

edit - I now understand your post

Last edited by mike wightman; April 18th, 2021 at 07:19 PM..
Old April 18th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
No it wouldn't.
Just having a little fun. If 10 billion electrons passed through your body, you probably wouldn't even feel it. I wonder who wrote that line, if he wanted to impress the audience, might he have hired a technical consultant to get the science right at least where it doesn't have to be wrong. He could have said 10 billion volts instead of 10 billion electron volts, it wouldn't have cost the movie any extra money to say that.
Old April 18th, 2021, 04:46 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
10 billion electron-volts is 10 billion electrons. I would like to see the weapon that harnesses the power of 10 billion electrons, THAT WOULD BE SOME AWESOME WEAPON!
Electron volts and electrons are two totally different things. Electrons are atomic particles, along with protons and neutrons and other particles. In one mole of hydrogen, weighing two grams, using hydrogen as the simplest atomic molecule, you have 2 X 6.02 X 10 to the twenty-third power of electrons. Ten billion electrons at equivalent to 1.0 X 10 to the tenth power. Go look up the Avogadro constant. That was taught when I was in high school in sophomore chemistry. Given that the human body is primarily composed of water, consider how many grams of hydrogen are present in your body, then multiple that number by Avogadro's Constant/Number. Ten billion electrons are a meaningless figure at that point.

Electron volts is a measure of power.