Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:17 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Default Ship Repairs in 1977 Book 2 [p18]

The two key concepts I'm pulling out here are TEMPORARY repair, versus REPLACEMENT/REPAIR COST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 Book 2 p18, annotated by Rob
Repair Parts:

(a) Most items in a starship which malfunction can be temporarily repaired from the stock of emergency materials in the ship's Stores.
This first sentence deals with emergency repair of items. The rest of the section appears to deal mainly with permanent repair-and-replacement.

Quote:
(b) Malfunctions usually occur in terms of a specific assembly (ship's computer, jump drive, etc), and the cost of the repair is based on the cost of the original assembly. ... from the component cost section of [the design rules].
This is a note on figuring out repair costs... since (a) above seems to talk about temporary and emergency repairs, it seems like when we start talking about cost then we've already moved on to permanent repair.

Quote:
(c) ...roll two dice: this indicates the cost of replacement of the item in 10% increments; DMs: -2 if the repair installation will be made by ship's crew rather than a shipyard.

Because the repair cost can run to 120%, in some cases, complete replacement of the item is sometimes cheaper.
And this is a typically Travelleresque way of determining the level of damage to the component (via cost of repair/replacement).

Quote:
(d) In the case of minor malfunctions, DMs may be applied to the repair cost throw as considered appropriate. Repair part cost which is indicated to be 0% is considered to be inconsequential.

(e) If the ship's crew undertakes the installation of a repair part, it should have appropriate expertise levels.
Skill is an enabler rather than a DM. And, it's an enabler for replacing or permanently fixing a part.

I tell ya, there is good stuff here to glean.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; February 2nd, 2021 at 11:26 AM..
Old February 2nd, 2021, 11:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Agreed, it's simple and it works.

One of the thing I loved Traveller for originally was the amazing compactness if CT.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 11:25 AM
Baron

Gallery : 111
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

I really need to re-read those books! There is a lot done in those 3 small books that is concise and directly applicable to the game.

Of course, there is also a lot that can be interpreted in many ways as witness the interesting discussions on this board.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Old February 2nd, 2021, 11:43 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

Here's the 1981 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981 B2 pp34-35
Repair Parts: Most malfunctioning or damaged items in a vessel can be temporarily repaired from the stock of emergency materials in the ship's stores.

Malfunctions usually occur in terms of a specific assembly (ship's computer, jump drive, etc.), and the cost of the repair is based on the cost of the original assembly.

After determining the cost of the assembly (from the component cost section of these rules), roll two dice: this indicates the cost of replacement of the item in 10% increments; allow a DM -2 if the repair installation will be made by ship's crew rather than a shipyard.

Because the repair cost can run to 120% in some cases, complete replacement of the item is sometimes cheaper.

In the case of minor malfunctions, DMs may be applied to the repair cost throw as considered appropriate. Repair parts cost of 0% is considered to be inconsequential.
Well, this is the same text. It was just moved to the combat section, underneath "Damage Control".

Note that if you're repairing it yourself, the cost will never exceed 100% of the original component's cost.
Tools Link
Old February 2nd, 2021, 11:50 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
I really need to re-read those books! There is a lot done in those 3 small books that is concise and directly applicable to the game.
It's jam-packed with goodness.

The looseness is perfectly fine for referees running games.

I do admit that there are a LOT of things I'd want to add into a game... especially all the good ideas that followed. Without those concepts, I'd have to add them in on my own. In other words, I'd be writing supplements of questionable quality and coherence.

But no biggie.
Tools Link
Old February 4th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Original_Carl Citizen

LBB Traveller is my favorite now. I've bought into all the T5 and it's nifty, but for old-man gaming, my gaming, Classic LBB is my go-to.
Old February 4th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Baron

Gallery : 111
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

related to the repair costs: guess that part is subsumed into the life support costs, keeping the emergency supplies up to date (as I still have a hard time reconciling the life support costs as they just seem so high).

And the last game I ran (last year) was mostly Classic though spiced with Mongoose, Cepheus and a sprinkling of T5 for some of the things (I really like QREBS system! helps with that junkyard searching and bargain basement supplies some players want to pick up )

And we were all old men (and some old women), some of who have been playing since the dawn of RPGs (and edited said RPGs)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Old February 4th, 2021, 09:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Thumbs up QREBS for the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
related to the repair costs: guess that part is subsumed into the life support costs, keeping the emergency supplies up to date (as I still have a hard time reconciling the life support costs as they just seem so high).

And the last game I ran (last year) was mostly Classic though spiced with Mongoose, Cepheus and a sprinkling of T5 for some of the things (I really like QREBS system! helps with that junkyard searching and bargain basement supplies some players want to pick up )

And we were all old men (and some old women), some of who have been playing since the dawn of RPGs (and edited said RPGs)
Yeah, QREBS is one of the best bits of T5. Simple but so much interesting detail packed into that little subsystem. And on topic now can really affect what kind of replacement parts you can get. Like your players looking through breaker yard stocks and such; who knows could be some fine components in there that can be bought cheap since it's pretty much all profit to a breaker yard.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; February 4th, 2021 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: bold
Old March 15th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Black Vulmea Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Carl View Post
. . . but for old-man gaming, my gaming . . .

Right there with ya, brother.
Old April 21st, 2021, 02:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Shadow Shack Citizen+Shadow Shack Citizen+

Factor in an orbital spaceship salvage station and you get the opportunity of finding functional used equipment at a fraction of what new replacement equipment would cost.

Currently portraying Nyco 'the Kid' Layne in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP game