Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old January 9th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
mega-striker Citizen
Default Contents of a typical ship's locker

Just getting back into running Traveller after decades away and while working up player characters and a starting adventure one rolled up a scout ship. Now I am stuck as to what would be in the ship's locker of a typical scout ship? I haven't seen it anywhere I have looked (probably blind). And I searched here with no luck either. Rather than give what I, knowing the adventures planed, would outfit a locker with, there must be a standard equipment manifest. Since this is a scout ship if some results lead in that direction so much the better. I would like the ship to be atmosphere capable as well, so some equipment for dirt side adventures would be suitable.

Thank you in advance for any leads or ideas.
Old January 9th, 2021, 11:04 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Here's a blog article about Ship's Lockers you might be interested in.

Expanding Universe blog: Ship's Locker
http://expanduniver.blogspot.com/201...ps-locker.html
Old January 9th, 2021, 11:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega-striker View Post
Now I am stuck as to what would be in the ship's locker of a typical scout ship?
Whatever the players happen to need at the moment, within reason (as defined by the Referee).

The point is that it is not defined in advance. If you need something small and cheap to move the game along you will find it. If you need a pot of white paint for some reason, you will find it. If you need a few tools or a bit of electrical cable, you will find it.

If you want a plasma rifle, you will not find it...
Old January 10th, 2021, 04:04 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

You will find ship's locker content descriptions in several CT adventures and double adventures that involves a ship.

It usually includes vaccsuits, shotguns, pistols, blades, and adventure specific additional stuff.
Old January 10th, 2021, 07:10 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

1. It's Traveller's Robe of Useful Items.

2. There are two times taking inventory would be useful, in getting inspiration in problem solving, and when you loo ... liberate someone else's.

3. You could also abuse it by selling the Vacuum Suits every time the mortgage is due.

4. For a more comprehensive weapon selection, install an Armoury.
Old January 10th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 4
MThompson016 Citizen+MThompson016 Citizen+

The Ship's Locker is the emergency stores, as I see it. It's going to have vacc suits, weapons, and emergency tools. The tools needed are going to be for rougher jobs than the ones in the engine room.

tc+ ?23 mgt+ !tm t20- !t4 !t5 !t6(LBB) tp- tg+ ?th ?to ru ge 3i c jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ kk++ hi+ as- va- dr ith+ vr ne so+ zh vi+ da sy
Old January 10th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Baron

Gallery : 111
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Whatever the players happen to need at the moment, within reason (as defined by the Referee).

The point is that it is not defined in advance. If you need something small and cheap to move the game along you will find it. If you need a pot of white paint for some reason, you will find it. If you need a few tools or a bit of electrical cable, you will find it.

If you want a plasma rifle, you will not find it...
This is how I've always interpreted it as well. Though sometimes I will add in that the thing looks to be on its last legs so that the players may want to stock specific items in the locker. With T5, the QREBS rules can come into play (per my sig, I do tend to plunder the T5 tool chest as there are a LOT of useful bits in there that can apply across versions)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Old January 10th, 2021, 08:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

mega-striker Citizen

Thank you for the input. My "issue" is I can see if I have to choose myself what is in then it would be very biased towards the scenario(s) I have in mind. I will have to pursue some of the adventures. I was reading either the scouts, original starship or High Guard book(s) and I saw something there. It was very minimal wrt supplies.

Frankly most of it is common sense but one of my players mustered out with a scout ship. Now they can always add to the basic loadout, bring their personal possessions, etc. but what I am wondering is what kind of ship's locker and armoury would;

1. A scout ship generally be equipped with, and;
2. How much would a detached duty (if I remember the term correctly) scout ship be supplied with?

As I said I have been out of the loop for a while, plus totally ignorant of anything post "the Shattered Imperium" period as far as more recent publications go. Thank you all.
Old January 11th, 2021, 05:17 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega-striker View Post
2. How much would a detached duty (if I remember the term correctly) scout ship be supplied with?
Officially? None. It's a surplus ship that comes as-is. The Detached Scout that gets to use it is responsible for upkeep of the ship.

Some ships may not have been checked well before being transfered to Detached Duty and still have the last crews' junk still on it (especially if the last crew were eaten by some alien critters), and some ships may have been stripped to the flooring.

Unofficially? Depends how much the Scout Base Commander likes you when they give you the ship.

And there's nothing stopping a Detached Scout from asking if there is a surplus parts bin or lost and found or whatever at every stop the ship makes.
Old January 11th, 2021, 10:22 AM

Gallery : 30
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

I think the first question to answer is What's the ship's locker intended for?

Is it a general purpose catch-all? Is it for damage control? Is it for a landing party? Making it an all-singing, all-dancing thing seems wrong to me. You end up with this large "closet" full of junk you rarely need or use but at the same time can't find the one item you really NEED right now in it because of all that junk.

My view is you have different storage areas for most of what has been listed. That is, you have an arms locker (that is secure) for weapons. You don't keep other stuff in it.

You have a damage control locker for emergency situations. It has things like cans of sealant to seal a small hole in the hull, a couple of larger patches to cover a bigger hole. Some gear for bracing or shoring a bulkhead or deck when it has buckled or been weakened. There's some CO2 absorbers and oxygen makers for restoring atmosphere. Maybe some cabling to restore power temporarily, that sort of thing. There'd be some basic tools necessary to use the things in the locker, but not a full tool box (too prone to being scavenged for that wrench that never comes back).
Maybe a few rescue balls or some sort of emergency survival suit would be included, something to let the crew survive as a last resort.

Vac suits go in a locker for those and these might be put in locations where the crew would be when operating the ship in a hazardous situation rather than in some GP ship's locker.

If you really think you need one, maybe an abandon ship locker with the necessary survival gear to do that.

For serious repairs you rely on the tools and materials the engineers have to do such things once the immediate situation isn't a disaster and emergency anymore.