Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old May 10th, 2021, 02:25 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default MgT2e Target Practice using Effect

So, a Target is a (usually) stationary object with concentric circles on it. The smaller the circle, the higher the score. Therefore, using Effect, the Target would look like this:

0 - Outer Circle (Marginal Success)
1+ - Inner Circle (Average Success)
6+ - Bullseye (Exceptional Success)

Joe Traveller was a Scout and only learned a little about Gun Combat. So, if Joe has Gun Combat-0 and a DEX DM of 0, he can only Aim and use LaserSights for a Bonus to Attack. He decides to Aim for one whole Round of 3 Minor Actions, and Aim for his Minor Action in his second Round, giving him a +4 Aiming Bonus. Add the LaserSights Bonus of +1 and he adds a +5 to his roll. He needs an Average check of 8+. The Target is 10 meters away - Standard Range for a Gauss Pistol..

He rolls a 5 + 2 for 7 and adds the +5 Bonus for a 12!

Joe hits the Inner Circle on the Target with an Effect of 4.

He Aims again, and after Aiming for one Minor Action in the second Round, fires again with a +5 Bonus.

He rolls a 4 +1 for a 5 and adds the +5 Bonus for 10, hitting the Inner Circle again with an Effect of 2.

So now Mary Traveller walks up to take a turn. She was in the Imperial Army. She has Gun Combat-2 and a DEX DM of +1. Using a Gauss Pistol with LaserSights like Joe, she Aims just like Joe did.

She rolls 2 + 2 for 4, adds Gun Combat-2, DEX DM +1 for 7, and the Aiming and LaserSights Bonus of +5 for a total of 12, hitting the Inner Circle with an Effect of 4.

She Aims again, the same as before.

She rolls 2 +4 for 6, adds Gun Combat-2 and DEX DM of +1 for 9, and the Aiming and LaserSights DM of +5 for a total of 14, hitting the Bullseye! with an Effect of 6!

You can see what's important for Firing a Ranged Weapon:

Gun Combat skill
High DEX score
Aiming
LaserSights

And if the Target is at Short Range, you even get another +1.

All of those DMs and Bonuses add up.

Try the Target out with your own characters. Keep one on your ship for downtime.
Old May 10th, 2021, 11:23 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

A couple of things I forgot: The Effects Table is on pg. 59. I'm wondering if there should be a Boon (also pg. 59) for the Target being stationary. I can't believe how much Aiming ramps up your chances. And how much does a Moving Target affect your Aim? You could use this for throwing Darts in a bar, too, I'd think. Swap out Gun Combat for whatever skill Darts falls under - or just a DEX check.

What do you think?
Old Today, 07:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
You could use this for throwing Darts in a bar, too, I'd think.
Yes, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
I'm wondering if there should be a Boon (also pg. 59) for the Target being stationary.
Mongoose does not really go into that much detail.

I would say that the default rules and to hit chances presumes a "normal" fight, where the target tries to not be hit. So, I agree that a bonus would be in order for a target that is oblivious and just stands there.