Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old September 29th, 2020, 06:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

The chairs have latches that mate with sockets in the floor (if the ship's going into combat or other situations where internal inertial compensation and gravity could be compromised, you're probably going to lock them down and sit somewhere else). Maybe electromagnets?

The seat cushions are held in place by High Tech Space Velcro.

The food/waste/cleaning systems will be designed for not just zero-G and lateral Gs, but also vacuum. Might not be entirely spill or leak proof, but it's a known and expected design condition and will be accounted for.
Old September 29th, 2020, 07:39 PM

Gallery : 25
Visit Drakon's Blog
Drakon Citizen+Drakon Citizen+

Grav Moped beat me to most of the solutions. Velcro is your friend, and most of the time, the ship is stowed for sea/space anyway. A simple magnet (or TL 12-14 equivalent) at the foot of each table leg or chair leg keeps them stuck to the deck and leaves them moveable. It does not have to be strong, nor even electrically powered.

2) This is a view of the crews commons, and it is the way me and the crew, both of us, like it. This is not the passenger area. That is upstairs. As for passenger certification, well, I prefer cargo that doesn't talk anyway. Yes there is a few bob hauling folks, but people cause problems and drama. Rarely comedy.

3) One of the things I am trying to work out is a low poly way of creating tie-downs in the cargo deck, to keep cargo in place.

4) Pillows would float about in a loss of gravity situation. I don't believe it to be too severe an issue as they are pillows. Also a loss of gravity does not mean things start flying immediately. Loss of gravity accompanied by violent maneuvers, yes, then the pillows will go flying about. But again, they're pillows.

5) The Harriman is a 2 G Beowulf (larger engine and fuel tanks, less cargo) Any maneuvers over 2 G's is something else causing it.

6) Idea: The table legs are hallow. Inside each leg is a magnet attached to a string. With the string lowered, the magnet secures the table to the deck. Retract the string, draws the magnet up inside the hallow leg, moving the magnet far enough away from the deck to release the table.
MCG Final Victory @ Emerald----------------------------------------------------Corr 1806 Lemish A79568C-C
Old September 30th, 2020, 03:35 PM
Baron

Gallery : 111
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
The chairs have latches that mate with sockets in the floor (if the ship's going into combat or other situations where internal inertial compensation and gravity could be compromised, you're probably going to lock them down and sit somewhere else). Maybe electromagnets?

The seat cushions are held in place by High Tech Space Velcro.

The food/waste/cleaning systems will be designed for not just zero-G and lateral Gs, but also vacuum. Might not be entirely spill or leak proof, but it's a known and expected design condition and will be accounted for.
now adding High Tech Space Velcro to my ship's locker

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Old October 3rd, 2020, 12:49 PM

Gallery : 25
Visit Drakon's Blog
Drakon Citizen+Drakon Citizen+

Discovered how to decal and started that process.

Stern

Port Side

Starboard

For those that can't read Vilani letters, which includes me, the stern reads "David Delos Harriman, GS771907, Terra (SR1827)
MCG Final Victory @ Emerald----------------------------------------------------Corr 1806 Lemish A79568C-C
Old October 4th, 2020, 05:18 AM

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Depends on how much force is involved during violent manoeuvring.

Velcro probably works for most light weight items, especially for commercial shipping.

Warships may want to bolt down furniture, and stow away loose gear, considering that power fluctuations would likely turn off artificial gravity, and possibly inertial compensation, locally or entirely, for a few seconds.
Old October 5th, 2020, 01:55 AM

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Depends on how much force is involved during violent manoeuvring.

Velcro probably works for most light weight items, especially for commercial shipping.
You don't understand. This isn't just Velcro, it's High Tech Space Velcro. It works for anything the referee needs it to work for!

(And, of course, fails exactly when the referee wants it to fail.)
Old October 5th, 2020, 07:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRover Citizen

Quote:
You don't understand. This isn't just Velcro, it's High Tech Space Velcro. It works for anything the referee needs it to work for!

I thought Traveller didn't use "speed of plot" rules. Well, not unless it's really needed.

ETA: From another thread, I was reminded of the attendant (in zero-g) walking on Velcro and going around the cylinder onto the "ceiling" to head down another corridor. Wonder what the (in-universe) tech level of that Velcro was.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/2551b...ormat&fit=max&

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!

Last edited by BRover; October 5th, 2020 at 07:58 AM..
Old October 5th, 2020, 11:07 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:

Wait, I thought the velcro we already have is the bounty of alien technology from Area 51. So, it's already High Tech Space Velcro.
Old October 5th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Baron

Gallery : 111
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++coliver988 Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post
I thought Traveller didn't use "speed of plot" rules. Well, not unless it's really needed.

ETA: From another thread, I was reminded of the attendant (in zero-g) walking on Velcro and going around the cylinder onto the "ceiling" to head down another corridor. Wonder what the (in-universe) tech level of that Velcro was.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/2551b...ormat&fit=max&
I use speed of plot all the time. As long as I don't make it obvious or overly contrived. We're all in it for the story (at least my group when we do manage to play Traveller; we're all pretty rules-light and use the rules as a framework to tell our story)

And you could always use the T5 QREBS and just make the Reliability really low as needed (hey, it was a bad batch of the High Tech Space Velcro!)

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up Alpha
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up Alpha
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FIkuna E000410-A
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On Alellhttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9http://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Old October 11th, 2020, 12:33 AM

Straybow Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post

Ummm, I'm pretty sure the all-jumps-take-one-week rule is a "speed of plot" device.

The graphics are good, I just don't think a spaceship can afford to waste that much space.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!