Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old September 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
david.wendelken Citizen
Default Rules for determining world surface?

I have the UWP for a planet and a blank planetary map.

I could have sworn there were rules for filling in the blank planetary map, at least as far as land/sea/ocean and land terrain types.

Have I mis-remembered? Any fan-based solutions if there aren't any built-in rules for this?
Old September 9th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BytePro Citizen

Sounds like WBH? (World Builder's Handbook).

(UWP, of course, gives percentage of liquid/ice surface and a major triangle's worth of area is 5% of a world map.)
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:46 AM

77topaz Citizen

I know there's a generator on the Internet somewhere which even takes in account the atmosphere...
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

If all you have is the hydrographic score, you start by determining the percentage. A score of 0 means 0-4%, a score of 1 means 5-14%, etc. up to a score of 10 which means 95-100%.

Once you have the percentage, each percent means five hexes, provided your blank map is a Traveller map. You can start by having a program randomly determine land or water for each hex separately, then go over the resulting map deleting a land hex here and adding a corresponding land hex somewhere else until you get a map with reasonably-looking continents and seas out of it.

Hans
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Dragoner Citizen-

Heaven and Earth will fill out a map, do the atmosphere, everything, if you just fill in the UWP.
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.wendelken View Post
I have the UWP for a planet and a blank planetary map.

I could have sworn there were rules for filling in the blank planetary map, at least as far as land/sea/ocean and land terrain types.

Have I mis-remembered? Any fan-based solutions if there aren't any built-in rules for this?
Likewise, I'm sure I've seen something for this - maybe a Jtas article? However, the fact that I don't use it coupled with some ancient stirrings of memory, suggest that it wasn't too effective.

ISTR the output was generated with dice rolls and was too random, producing either supercontinents or archipelagos, with nothing much in between - or something like that.
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM

Gallery : 3
david.wendelken Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoner View Post
Heaven and Earth will fill out a map, do the atmosphere, everything, if you just fill in the UWP.
I found a free copy online. It's very nice!
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Dragoner Citizen-

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.wendelken View Post
I found a free copy online. It's very nice!
It is cool, esp the atmosphere, axial tilt, etc.; but I still usually go through and adjust some things.
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

nDervish Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
Likewise, I'm sure I've seen something for this - maybe a Jtas article? However, the fact that I don't use it coupled with some ancient stirrings of memory, suggest that it wasn't too effective.

ISTR the output was generated with dice rolls and was too random, producing either supercontinents or archipelagos, with nothing much in between - or something like that.
You may well be thinking of the mapping chapter from WBH. I haven't actually used it in anger yet, but it does include rolling for how many large oceans, small oceans, lakes, etc. a world has (with defined size ranges for each), so that could potentially produce the kind of results you describe.
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:06 PM

MCEvans Citizen

Have you looked at DGP Grand Survey it has some stuff. I don't know how it compares to WHB.

The devil is in the details. The devil and I are 'friends'?

I hate reinventing the wheel, kicking the tires and changing the rims no problem.