Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old April 26th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
I think that a Traveller themed card game would be pretty darn cool
this thread has averaged 165 or so views per day, for years, so you're in good company. certainly more popular than any other subject on coti.
Old April 26th, 2016, 03:26 PM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

That is Star Realms?

Looks like Stargate to me,and I've played it.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
David Johansen Citizen+David Johansen Citizen+

So why not do cards that are actually useful for Traveller?

World Cards with a random UWP and a map.

Character Cards with a random UPP and a picture.

Equipment Cards with illustrated equipment.

Vehicle and Ship cards with stats.

Cargo cards with randomly generated cargos.

It might not even be hard to envision a game that uses them. Deal out a hand to everyone. Everyone takes a turn playing cards. Characters are played in front of the player, worlds are played to the map in the middle of the table. Ships can only be played once their crew requirements are met and are played onto the map. Once a ship is on the map cargo cards can be played on the ship and moved from one world to the next. Combats are fought over cargos using 2d6 rolls. The player with the most cargo cards after a set number of turns wins.
Old July 16th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
ovka Citizen+ovka Citizen+

Or perhaps a Munchkin Traveller add-on for Star Munchkin.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka
<who recently received an SEH with diamonds and needs to update his sig>
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Combats are fought over cargos using 2d6 rolls.
Reading this out of context, I got a vision of a starport commodity exchange, with brokers haggling over newly-delivered cargo. That could make a nice part of something larger, but what? What happens when you win a bid for cargo?

Well THAT makes me think of speculation by trader captains, and now the hustling on the commodity exchange becomes an endpoint for free traders.

I also like "building" games, so I also think about things like "build your trade line" game. That also ties in nicely to the free trader angle.

Fledgling Lines

In this game, you compete with others to grow your fledgling line into a subsector line.
  • Your hand size is limited based on a handicapping model. Higher skill = fewer cards.
  • When a Cargo or Ship card is drawn, everybody bids on it. High bid buys it.
  • Four kinds of cargo: Food, Radioactives, Luxuries, and Life Support.
  • When a World card is drawn, players may sell any or all of their cargo cards there. Worlds pay a stated value (RU 1, 2, or 3) for any cargo card, plus a bonus if it matches a world feature (purple=Luxuries, desert=Food, industrial=Radioactives, asteroid=Life Support). Interdicted worlds pay a bonus for ANYTHING.
  • When a Corsair card is drawn, players lose their cargo unless they have a Route Protector card... or break into actual combat if they have weapons from the Corsair Kingdom Expansion Pack.
  • When the deck is depleted, the game is over.

World cards would be straightforward all-purpose Traveller world cards, and have the world name (all caps if high pop), planetary circle (water world, green world, desert world, vacuum world, industrialized, asteroids), bases, and interdiction status.

Simulate with a poker deck: 2-8s are cargo. 9s are anti-corsair missiles. 10s are Beowulfs. Jokers are corsairs. Aces are Route Protectors. J,Q,K are worlds that pay RU 1, RU 2, and RU 3 respectively for cargo. Suits are "characteristics" - when cargo and world suit match, get a bonus RU+1.

Asteroid Mining

This one is a variation on the "Mining the Asteroids" mini-game from JTAS. The cards themselves are mainly for the mining process, but also have events or contacts which help or hinder the venture.
  • Draw cards, trying to get as many-of-a-kind of strikes as you can before a bad event happens.
  • Lay down strikes when you want to "sell" them off. If you're risk-averse, you lay down pairs as you get them. If you want to score big, you wait for a four-of-a-kind Rare Earths strike.
  • Catastrophes (Hull Leak) have mitigations (Hull Patch).
  • A "pass the trash" rule can let players interact.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; August 17th, 2016 at 02:55 PM..
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
When a Corsair card is drawn, players lose their cargo unless they have a Route Protector card.
need some player choices and interaction there. include cards for ship weapons and other improvements, bid on by players, and then include some kind of combat action when the corsair shows up.

Last edited by flykiller; August 19th, 2016 at 12:14 PM..
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
Quote:
When a Corsair card is drawn, players lose their cargo unless they have a Route Protector card.
need some player choices and interaction there. include cards for ship weapons and other improvements, bid on by players, and then include some kind of combat action when the corsair shows up.
Maybe. I think of these events as either you're prepared, or you're not, rather than having more detail. But it could certainly go down the customization route and even involve character cards and some sort of one-roll-determines-it-all combat.

That could be pretty fun. That means Q-Ship becomes a valid strategy. It also means you're spending time bulking up your ships rather than speculating. But that could be a nice added dimension.

Ooooh! Maybe an expansion pack.

OR: a couple of rare, Advanced cards which represent weaponry and require the beforementioned combat roll.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; August 17th, 2016 at 01:23 PM..
Old August 17th, 2016, 02:11 PM

you could also draw destination cards to build trade routes - trade destination cards to build more reasonable and less random routes. each player lays destination cards face down in order of intended trade route, each destination turned up each turn, see if players are in same system for 1) trading goods or 2) combat.

I feel inspired to work on this over the weekend ....
Old February 26th, 2020, 11:45 PM

... but I didn't, just don't have the time anymore.
Old February 28th, 2020, 11:13 AM

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
you could also draw destination cards to build trade routes - trade destination cards to build more reasonable and less random routes. each player lays destination cards face down in order of intended trade route, each destination turned up each turn, see if players are in same system for 1) trading goods or 2) combat.
Actually, just musing here, you could the player draw market and load cards.

When it comes time to play, they pull out market cards from their hand to lay out a route. Each market has a distance, say. So, showing how far away they are from "anyone else".

So if you play 3 market cards, one is 2 parsecs away, the other 1 parsec away, you have a 4 parsec "J-2" route. Then, ideally, the player has "loads" that match with those markets.

Then they navigate from market to market with their loads, drawing more markets (rumors?), more loads, as they arrive to each one.

Each play can be a new market for their new destination.

There's little interaction, since you're not on a map per se. Or you could have the same markets mixed in the deck (say, 10 markets, with 30 cards, some markets more popular than others). Then if another player is at the same market as you are, there could be some interaction perhaps.

Just musing.