Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 1st, 2014, 04:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 11
Enoff Citizen

I have no programming skills to make such a game. I think its obvious though by the hits that hiring a professional team of programmers would more than recoup the investment cost if such a game is made.
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 11
Enoff Citizen

Still waiting for this product :|

Old April 7th, 2016, 03:03 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Is it worth mentioning the obscene amount of money HearthStone has made for Blizzard?

There area couple of options here - a card based game, an app based game or both.

If I were MWM I would be looking into this.
Old April 7th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Blizzard isn't making an obscene amount of money on Hearthstone because it's a TCG.

Blizzard is doing well with HS because Blizzard can do games like this really well, plus they have the entirety of the Warcraft universe to enrich it. It just happens to be a TCG.

HS is a great game. It's absolutely gorgeous, it's fun, it's very casual. I've played it a bunch, but never spent a dime on it. Just leveling the classes.

Everybody and their brother was spitting out TCGs back in the day when MtG took over like kudzu and single handedly tilted the axis of the game world. But, as they made evident, a TCG does not success make. Even Munchkin is not a TCG.

We had a wave of MtG sweep through the office, but it's crashed on the beach about a year ago.
Old April 7th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Otto Harkaman Citizen

The Traveller Universe is so rich in ideas I am sure it would lend itself to endless cards and variants. Even if it just broke even it would more than pay its investment, it would be a fantastic vector for self promotion.
Old April 7th, 2016, 05:43 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

MtG worked because WotC found the sweet point of what the consumer was willing to spend, the frisson of mystery, apparently getting something for comparatively nothing (our version of the Ponzi scheme), and great art. Plus glimpses into a greater universe through short narratives on the card.
Old April 7th, 2016, 06:22 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
The Traveller Universe is so rich in ideas I am sure it would lend itself to endless cards and variants. Even if it just broke even it would more than pay its investment, it would be a fantastic vector for self promotion.
It's also a very generic universe. It's "just sci-fi", using common tropes. The Imperium is a unique asset, to be sure, but high level nobles and mega corps do not really blend well with the tactical field of a card game.

That said, I can see a game where the combat cards are ships and fleets (and perhaps assassins, nobles, and mis-jumps for "action" cards), but the resources are star systems to fuel the sector spanning campaign.

All that said, in either case, who ever was going to do this would have to license it from Marc. It has been aptly demonstrated that Marc struggles to publish black and white text, much less hundreds of art pieces with subtle mechanics to balance. So, someone else would have to do the actual work on the game. At that point, it's a question of whether the value of the OTU is actually worth the licensing cost to the creator, vs just going with something generic. Not sure if a Norris, Vargr, SDB, or Tigress card is really that compelling of a sale point to the market overall.

There were (apparently) Star Wars and Star Trek TCGs, much better developed and popular universes, but they're 10 years dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
MtG worked because WotC found the sweet point of what the consumer was willing to spend, the frisson of mystery, apparently getting something for comparatively nothing (our version of the Ponzi scheme), and great art. Plus glimpses into a greater universe through short narratives on the card.
All that said, and I am not an MtG player -- beyond buying two original decks Back In the Day, the MtG game play is pretty interesting and deep. Some get caught up in the collectors part of it, others take it so far just to play the game well. I find the collector part specifically off-putting myself, but that's my personality. At the same time, I find it borderline exploitive of certain personalty types.

We see that today in many "free to play" games, where the bulk of the revenue comes from a tiny minority of the players. The F2P games are far worse than MtG ever was.
Old April 7th, 2016, 06:32 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Someone has to pay for the internet.
Old April 25th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
The Imperium is a unique asset, to be sure, but high level nobles and mega corps do not really blend well with the tactical field of a card game.

That said, I can see a game where the combat cards are ships and fleets (and perhaps assassins, nobles, and mis-jumps for "action" cards), but the resources are star systems to fuel the sector spanning campaign.
I always thought that a "railroad tycoon"-style boardgame is lurking around there in the subsector maps.
Tools Link
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+

Not that anyone asked for it, but here are my 2 credits on the topic. But first, to make sure people are on the same page, some definitions.

Collectible Card Games (CCG): Are games like Pokemon, Magic: The Gathering, Yu-gi-oh, and so on, are where players will build decks from their collections, which are all different. When you purchase cards, with the exception of pre-built decks, you get a random bunch of cards. Usually the best cards are more rare and harder to find. This type of game usually has a high cost for anyone who is more than a casual player as they try to find the best cards.

I personally am not a big fan of these types of games.

Living Card Games (LCG): Are similar to the CCG in that players build decks from their collection of cards, but they differ in that you know which cards are in the package you are buying. The A Game of Thrones Card Game is an example of this type of game (I know there are others, but I actually play this one). These games usually have a base set and then add-ons in the form of "chapter packs" or "expansions" which expand the card base. The advantage is that everyone has the same pool of cards to work from to build their decks. Of course as the game "grows" not everyone may purchase every add-on, but at the very least they have the opportunity to.

I like this type of game, but it requires a lot of planning, testing, and can (in the long run) get expensive for players.

Deck Building Games: Are games where there is a pre-defined deck that players will draw/buy cards from to add to their "hand". They have a starting hand that is always the same. Games such as Star Realms (pictured in Enoff's post), Ascension, EPIC, and Core Worlds are just a few of the popular ones. These games are the easiest of the three types I list to play and afford. I assume they are also a bit easier to design but I will leave that to people who have done that to comment on.

So with that said, I think that a Traveller themed card game would be pretty darn cool, but I don't think a CCG would be the way to go. Traveller has enough story and history to make a LCG (like Game of Thrones) but I don't think there would be nearly enough of a market for something like that to make it worthwhile.

However, a deck building game that is like Star Realms should be pretty doable. And you can add expansions to the game to broaden the story in the future. These types of games also lend themselves very well to being done on a computer/tablet as well.

So there you have it. My 2 credits would be a deckbuilding game and I would be happy to contribute or help out any way I could.
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C