Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old December 7th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default Cussing in the Far Future

So, what is the state of the art in cussing in the far future?

Both the 'new' Battlestar Galactica and Firefly gave us a vernacular of cuss words that gave their worlds a 'real feel', and of course if we refs are doing right there will be plenty of opportunity and feeling for players to cuss at game events.

What would be a good cussing vocabulary suitable to our universe?
Old December 7th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

VILANI CURSING

Quoted for value from this thread. Now alphabetized for your convenience and well on its way to becoming a one-page supplement:

Agiishlan! "First In!" (i.e. we're all gung-ho about this job) Not really invective, but (for instance) it's a good toast for drinking.
Quote:
A jump drive tech is drinking rounds of Vilani beer with gregarious Vargr at the starport bar.

Call: "Agiishlan!"

Response: "Agiishlan!!!"

(all chug flagons of Vilani beer)
Burudak! -- a Vilani invective that sort of falls midway between "aw, heck" and "▮▮▮▮▮▮!" on the galactic scale of obscenity. It's derived from buruda, an adjective which refers specifically to a non-human state of impregnation. In this context, it's a perfectly serviceable and polite term; it's extremely bad form -- and highly vulgar -- to use it to describe a human pregnancy, however.

Describing a woman as buruda is one of the quickest ways in the Vilani cultural region to experience the local healthcare system firsthand. Vilani-acculturated Vargr also recognise this insult -- and if anything react more quickly and harshly than their human cousins in the face of it.

Example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kashkanun Anderson
You wake up on the floor of a starport bar after one too many rounds of Vilani beer. Your shoes are missing, your pants are torn to shreds, and there's Vargr slobber all over your knee. If I were you, I'd say:

"Burudak! Kimguna igi adlaam ka sezirike Daag dakakapu!" (literally: Fr@ck! Some stupid-@$$ Dog has eaten my pants again!)

And your friend, the smug pilot, arms crossed and shaking her head, would simply reply "Pakha!"
Daag (borrowed from the Old Anglic "dog") is a common barroom invective used against them. The derived term daagii actually points in the other direction -- it's a slangy way of describing anything closely associated with Terra, and is often used as an insulting blanket term for Solomani culture in general. This is the source of the Solomani Rim version of daag, which is more likely to be a reference to a SolSec agent than a Vargr.

Daruun, 'ingratiating fool'.

Dukam! (literally, "unsorted mess") "dang nabbit!" etc. Also /dukham/ and just /dam/.

Quote:
Seneschal: "Excuse me, my good sir. Duke Kaarlessi really can't be kept waiting on that jump drive repair..."

Hung-over jump drive tech: "I don't give a good dukam whose bastard child wants what..."

...and the adventure is underway.
Kugganzir! (literally, "holy eye of the underworld (or pit of hades, etc)") "dang nabbit!" etc. A personal favorite of mine.

Quote:
Captain: "I told you to fix the dukam jump drive!" (pause, sniffs, flaps a hand) "Kugganzir, you smell like a Vargr! Have you been out drinking Vilani beer with them at the starport again?"

Hung-over jump drive tech doesn't respond. Clutches barf bag possessively.

Pilot: "Pakha. And don't forget to turn in your paperwork."

Hung-over jump drive tech: "Okay." (under his breath) "Paperwork. Mukdapin khii gasliir uzudgi mamkur."
Mid. (pronounced 'mid' as in 'middle'): Noun. (1) The female of a livestock breeding pair; (2) Any creature that must be coddled in order to preserve its submissive disposition; (3) A person who whinges about the least little discomfort; (4) Any person, male or female, who insists that things be done their way when any other way would be more effective, efficient, and produce less paperwork; (5) An expletive used to express contempt for the hygeine, parentage and/or sexual habits of another sophont.

Pakha. 'Idiot'.

Usudgi mamkur! Groat droppings!

Example: Mukdapin khii gasliir uzudgi mamkur. What a load of rotten groat droppings.

Tools Link

Last edited by robject; December 7th, 2015 at 04:59 PM..
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Shozbot! - Orkan exclamation.
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Shozbot! - Orkan exclamation.
Shazbot is the correct (studio licensee used) spelling...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Reynard Citizen

Eleven thousand worlds, many with more than one culture, not all with mass intercommunication with other worlds will mean... infinite cussing diversity.

My aslan engineer was a cusser either using words she picked up from her less than civilized pirate co-crew or many words she picked up during her years in an aslan outcast community.
Old December 8th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

From Johny Dangerously

Caution: Strong Language ... sort of.
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Hmm - how many Latin swear words are still in everyday use? Or Aramaic? Or ancient Egyptian?

People often forget that language changes over time - look at English over the past 500 years.

The Third Imperium is so far in the future I doubt any of our swear words would still be in common use - apart from three obvious ones...
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
The Third Imperium is so far in the future I doubt any of our swear words would still be in common use - apart from three obvious ones...
Mmmmm... git, berk, and zounds?
Tools Link
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
Visit DickNervous's Blog
DickNervous Citizen+DickNervous Citizen+

My group of players has fans of Firefly and Farscape so in addition to the Firefly slang you might here stuff like this (most commonly used ones in italics):
  • biznak: hell
  • boll yotz: BS
  • drelk: piece of "excrement"
  • dren: excrement
  • frell: same as another word that starts with "F"
  • hazmot: as in "Son of a hazmot!"
  • hezmana: hell
  • minvoks: balls
  • shliznat: something that means either "drelk head" or "stupid frell"
  • yotz/yotza: similar to "damn"/"hot-damn"
  • zark: like Frell
(source: Glossary of Farscape Terms)

Of course the normal English cuss words slip out every so often. Now that I think of it, I really need to record one of our sessions. It might make an entertaining podcast, or at least get me some sympathy from other referees for what I have to put up with...
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
agorski Citizen+agorski Citizen+

Not exactly swearing, but there was the Marc Miller article in JTAS 9 entitled Epithets of the Fifth Frontier War.