Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen
Default The Long Night

Being a student of the Fall of the Roman Empire in Britain, I'm considering a short campaign set in some back-water cluster when the Long Night hits. I want it to resemble a post-holocaust scenario, but without the mass-death. The 'mass-death' happens off-screen in populated areas. In fact it will be very neat to keep the reason for the collapse secret. Ships stop arriving, and ships that leave the cluster never return. Is it plague? Computer virus? Alien invasion? Super-nova shockwave? Economic collapse? Who knows?

In this way I can run a subsector and have it fully self-contained, with finite resources, ships and power blocs. Chance for the PCs to mak ea name (good or bad).

I really would like to play up the disconnect - the lack ofexotic imports (what would be in Roman Britain, olive oil, lentils, samian ware, glassware, dried fruits, wines etc.).

I'd need some kind of rift that is too wide to cross with most jump-drives found in the cluster.

My players might try to take over a planet, start a pirate base without the imperials getting involved, or 'get out' ofthecluster, perhaps finding a moth-balled or scrapped X-Boat that needs extensive repair.

Has this been done before - if so, any pointers!!!!!

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
BillDowns Citizen

Are you talking about the end of the Second Empire or the Rebellion/Virus scenario?

My inclination would be the former. Jump-2 was the max then, wasn't it? So an uncrossable gulf is easier to find or create.

I would also be tempted to throw in an "Arthur" component, with Arthur trying to repel neo-Saxons who could be from an adjacent sub-sector, and neo-Scots from another. I guess neo-Picts come be from some area within the subsector.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

I think the Reaver's Deep Library discusses the influx of pirate lords who infested the sector prior to the 3rd Imperium. There should be some good ideas in the history writeups there.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM

Gallery : 1
Gadrin Citizen

Pirates did fairly well in the Reavers Deep sector during the long night, plus the Aslans.

>

Most plans don't even survive contact with reality.

Thanks, Gadrin
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

BillDowns Citizen

Here's a couple of links to place your play-area somewhere in the OTU.

http://www.travellermap.com/

http://www.utzig.com/cgi-bin/iai/map_top.pl
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

davebill Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Being a student of the Fall of the Roman Empire in Britain, I'm considering a short campaign set in some back-water cluster when the Long Night hits. I want it to resemble a post-holocaust scenario, but without the mass-death. The 'mass-death' happens off-screen in populated areas. In fact it will be very neat to keep the reason for the collapse secret. Ships stop arriving, and ships that leave the cluster never return. Is it plague? Computer virus? Alien invasion? Super-nova shockwave? Economic collapse? Who knows?

<snip some stuff>

My players might try to take over a planet, start a pirate base without the imperials getting involved, or 'get out' ofthecluster, perhaps finding a moth-balled or scrapped X-Boat that needs extensive repair.

Has this been done before - if so, any pointers!!!!!
This sounds a bit like the Hard Times MT book - worth a look if you can find a copy (Drivthrurpg?).

The Terrans had J-3 by the end of the Interstellar Wars and so this was still probably top Jump during the 2nd Imperium/Long Night. But even a cluster that's J-2 from anywhere else poses problems for the bulk of Mains-following J-1 merchants, and might be considered economically non-viable, especially if the 'doorway' system is low pop, has a low rated starport, and/or no system gas giant, for J-2 Merchants.

Just some thoughts.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebill View Post
This sounds a bit like the Hard Times MT book - worth a look if you can find a copy (Drivthrurpg?).
Yes. It's on DTRPG.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebill View Post
The Terrans had J-3 by the end of the Interstellar Wars and so this was still probably top Jump during the 2nd Imperium/Long Night. But even a cluster that's J-2 from anywhere else poses problems for the bulk of Mains-following J-1 merchants, and might be considered economically non-viable, especially if the 'doorway' system is low pop, has a low rated starport, and/or no system gas giant, for J-2 Merchants.
If you're trading with any place that lies more than one parsec away, jump-2 is more economic than jump-1. A jump-1 ship is cheaper than a jump-2 and can carry a bit more cargo, but it requires twice as many jumps to get anywhere, so the effective cost per unit carried is higher.

Hans
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen

Thanks - I'll take a look at Hard Times.

Rather than set this canonically, I was going to create my own setting, with an federation or empire sketched briefly, and the main detail put into world write-ups NPCs and the plots, plans and upcoming events to effect the cluster.

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Thanks - I'll take a look at Hard Times.

Rather than set this canonically, I was going to create my own setting, with an federation or empire sketched briefly, and the main detail put into world write-ups NPCs and the plots, plans and upcoming events to effect the cluster.
There's really such a vast amount of space and time in Charted Space that has yet to be described with a single word that most plots can find some place to happen. Not all plots... GDW missed a bet when it made the Ancients the only forerunners around (I don't count pasted-on latecomers like the Primordials) so a lot of André Norton and Jo Clayton plots are right out, which is a great pity.

But whatever you decide, you may want to take a look at a tetralogy written by Chris Bunch (who co-wrote the Sten series with Allan Cole) called 'The Last Legion' (Which is alo the title of the first book). Two protagonists enlist in the Federation's military and gets posted to a world right on the edge of Federation territory. Shortly thereafter communication with the center just ceases, leaving the unit to fend for its own.

The first book deals with events on the world itself (lovely political situation) and the next two with trouble with a neighboring would-be pocket emperor and a neighboring rapacious raider culture. Only the fourth explores what has happened to the Federation, and would be difficult to fit into the Long Night. The books aren't bad, incidentally. Not Great Litterature, but OK.

I've toyed with the idea of turning the books into a Traveller setting -- early Long Night, probably close to the Vargr Extents -- but never gotten around to doing anything about it.

Hans

Last edited by rancke; February 3rd, 2009 at 11:22 AM..