Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default Interesting scenario

The I.S.S. Silver Queen suffers a wreck in an Asteroid Belt. The only survivors are three people. From what's left of the ship, between them, they have three airtight rooms, one spacesuit, three days' worth of air, a week's supply of food, and a year's supply of water. There's no communicator, but a settlement is on a nearby asteroid.

How would you get out of this and rescue yourselves?

And can you name the story?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Visit Arthur Denger's Blog
Arthur Denger Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout
The I.S.S. Silver Queen suffers a wreck in an Asteroid Belt. The only survivors are three people. From what's left of the ship, between them, they have three airtight rooms, one spacesuit, three days' worth of air, a week's supply of food, and a year's supply of water. There's no communicator, but a settlement is on a nearby asteroid.

How would you get out of this and rescue yourselves?

A Bad Case of 'Roids ??

Define "nearby".

Is there power? With a suitably qualified engineer on board, the water could probably be electrolyzed into hydrogen and oxygen. That could help stretch the breathable air supply.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM
Count

Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Denger View Post
Define "nearby".
Is there power?[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
They could see the asteroid from a viewport - but the settlement was on the other side and didn't see the accident.

They could see in the rooms. I don't remember if it explained how. But even if they had power - the three rooms were staterooms. They did say the doors were airtight.

This is one I always wanted to work up as an adventure and see what the players came up with compared to the story.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post

SS,

It's an early Asimov short story. Can't remember the title.

You poke a hole in the water tank in the right place and the reaction pushes the wreck close enough to the settled asteroid to be noticed.

Have fun,
Bill
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM

Gallery : 0
BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

"Marooned off Vespa", by Isaac Asimov.

His first published fiction - "Marooned off Vespa" - appeared in Amazing Stories in 1939, although he had had several other stories rejected during the previous two years.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:50 AM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Thanks for the spoiler, Bill. Probably the best solution - who am I to argue with Asimov?

However, in the spirit of alternative responses, I was thinking of water electrolysis to extend air supply too, though in practice it would be CO2 poisoning that killed them, unless the scrubbers were still working.
Also a spacewalk, taking one of the crew to the asteroid to get help. On a vacuum world of low gravity, you may not even need a re-entry package.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Visit Arthur Denger's Blog
Arthur Denger Citizen

A creative solution for Asimov's 1939-vintage science, but I'm uncertain how successful that course of action really would be. Punching a hole in the water tank might work, provided it's not a self-sealing tank (though by the 57th Century, that doesn't seem very likely). Also, since there would be no way to control duration or alter the vector of the water "burn", what is to prevent the wreck from accelerating smack dab into the asteroid, or zipping right on past it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
...I was thinking of water electrolysis to extend air supply too, though in practice it would be CO2 poisoning that killed them, unless the scrubbers were still working.
Also a spacewalk, taking one of the crew to the asteroid to get help. On a vacuum world of low gravity, you may not even need a re-entry package.

Good point about the scrubbers. Yeah, I didn't realize it was line-of-sight. Send one guy out in the vacc suit with the mattress from his bed to minimize impact when he reaches the settlement asteroid. The tricky part would be getting the individual on a proper trajectory so that he doesn't overshoot and fly off alone, untethered, even further into the Belt.

In zero atmo with low grav, a re-entry pak would be superfluous, wouldn't it?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:45 AM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

In the 57th century, one hopes that computers are part of a network in which all ships operations can be routed into different terminals...allowing the bridge to be in the Cargo Hold or the Engine Room in a Stateroom providing you have the neccessary security protocals.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Detach the water tank from the wreck. Jury-rig a set of thrust deflectors on a valve on the tank. Have the person with the vac suit "ride" the thrust bottle that is the water tank to the settlement. Return via ship from the settlement and pick up the other two.
[B][COLOR="Green"]3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana.[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Crimson"]Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.[/COLOR][/B]
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

Jame Citizen

You presume that the vac suit doesn't have some sort of EVA Jet pack. Just light up the jet for a bit, then decelerate and manuever.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares