Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old August 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+
Default Can You Survive in Space Without a Spacesuit?

According to This article, you can:

http://www.slate.com/id/2171522/?GT1=10346

But for only a few minutes, after passing out in 15 seconds due to lack of oxygen. If you survive, the immediate effct would be a total-body "Space Hickey" from all the capillaries under your skin rupturing. Later effects could be skin cancer from instense solar U/V radiation.

But if you had held your breath, you would have died almost immediately from the alveoli in your lungs exploding and forcing the air directly into your bloodstream and eventually your brain.

For game purposes, the first 15 seconds (2D + (1 per END above 12)) are critical, as that's when your character would still be conscious enough to act. After that, he'd better be friends with the guy in the spacesuit, or at least owe him a lot of money! Or 2 to 12 minutes later (2D), he's irretrievably dead.

Last edited by Keklas Rekobah; August 8th, 2007 at 02:15 PM..
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Thunderbolt Citizen

The sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey always struck me as the definitive sucking vacuum experience.

Having heard the lurid details of how the bends can affect divers, freeze drying effects and the tendency of the body to expand, you'd be wondering just how grateful you would be 'surviving' such an event.
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
Having heard the lurid details of how the bends can affect divers, freeze drying effects and the tendency of the body to expand, you'd be wondering just how grateful you would be 'surviving' such an event.
You mean, considering the alternative?
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:06 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

All you need to know (and more): http://www.sff.net/people/geoffrey.landis/vacuum.html
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
Tends to support the article I cited, and in greater detail.

It should be noted that irreversable brain damage in humans begins after about 4 minutes of total oxygen deprivation. So, I propose the following game mechanics, to be applied when a character experiences sudden decompression (when the faceplate of his helmet shatters during EVA, for instance):

Time to loss of consciousness: 2D seconds, plus 1 second per point of END above 12.

Time to beginning of irreversable brain damage: 4 minutes, plus 1 minute per point of END above 12. Thereafter, the character loses 1 point of INT per minute until resuscitated. Lost INT points are not recoverable.

Time to total, irreversible brain death is: 4 minutes, plus 1D minutes, plus 1 minute per point of END above 12.

Thus, for a character with END-12 or less whose helmet suddenly pops off during EVA:

After 2 to 12 seconds: Loss of consciousness (Hope that your character will be rescued soon).

After 240 seconds: Brain death begins (Consider rolling another character).

After 300 to 600 seconds: Total brain death occurs (Roll another character).

Sleep well tonight!
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keklas Rekobah View Post
Or 2 to 12 minutes later (2D), he's irretrievably dead.
If you ask a paramedic, you're not dead until you're warm and dead. There's 400 degrees difference between light and shadow in space. People have been recusitated after being in almost freezing water for more than a half hour. If your body temp drops fast enough... Poor Man's Cryogenics?

EDIT: Oops - I guess I should read the article first about vacuum not conducting heat well. Cold water sucks the heat right out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
The sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey always struck me as the definitive sucking vacuum experience.
The Dave Bowman scene? The Frank Poole scene gets finalized in 3001.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; August 8th, 2007 at 08:55 PM..
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:34 AM

Gallery : 2
Valarian Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Valarian Send a message via MSN to Valarian

Quote:
It should be noted that irreversable brain damage in humans begins after about 4 minutes of total oxygen deprivation. So, I propose the following game mechanics, to be applied when a character experiences sudden decompression (when the faceplate of his helmet shatters during EVA, for instance):
You forgot the reflex save (or CT equivalent) to avoid holding your breath.
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

Pg 388 of the THB for T20.
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
...to be applied when a character experiences sudden decompression (when the faceplate of his helmet shatters during EVA, for instance):
If you're quick thinking enough, just wrap your towel around the helmet to cover the hole....

You did bring your towel, didn't you?
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:10 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Pg 388 of the THB for T20.
The "Signs of Atmospheric Change" bit on p387 looks remarkably like part of the page I linked to...