Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old March 12th, 2021, 08:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
infojunky Citizen+infojunky Citizen+
Default Small Ship High Guard

I have been playing with several ideas recently, the most often occurring is how to use Book5 in a small ship universe.

Tenth scale ships in that bays are now five and ten tons and the spinal mounts and screens are divided by ten as well.

In this hardpoints are still one per 100 dTons with bays only taking one hardpoint as well.

Note PA barbettes are bay weapons while turrets still exist.

The second part is how to convert all of this into Book2 rules. Which for weapons damage is USP equals hits, basically converting the excess critical hits rule starting a zero size.

Armor is along the lines of first edition Book5 in either a ship is armored or it isn't, armored gives 4+ save vs. Hits. (Note I haven't played this rule a lot yet but it seems to work).
Old March 12th, 2021, 10:06 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

In August 2016 flykiller and mike wightman played some small ship combat using HG system. You can review them in the following threads:
Aside from being entertaining and instructive, I guess they may help you in this project...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 13th, 2021, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
In August 2016 flykiller and mike wightman played some small ship combat using HG system. You can review them in the following threads:
Aside from being entertaining and instructive, I guess they may help you in this project...
I'll look at those, but my rules set a combination of Mayday and Book2.

The rewrite of the Kunnir is lot more frightening with two PA 5 dTon bays and two 10 dTon missile bays.
Old March 13th, 2021, 01:30 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I've got a whole thing worked out with mashing LBB2 and LBB5 ships on the same combat resolution system, with LBB2 movement.

I'm almost happy with the missiles, the only thing I've got left is hopefully making the spinal weapons easier to resolve.

The trick is to convert everything to tons damage and fractional damage to the tonnage, and weapon damage too.

Throwaway freebie, do your missile design with SS3 and just multiply all the costs x15. In other words turret missiles are 50kg, bay missiles are 750kg. Each bay missile slot takes 1 ton, each 50-ton missile bay shot is 1 missile and each 100-ton missile bay shot is 2 bay missiles (so 25 shots each).
Old March 13th, 2021, 05:53 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Are you intending to keep weapon USP ratings and battery rules or are you going to cap small ship weapons at the size of individual turrets?

Limiting USP ratings for turrets, 1-5 depending on weapon and TL gives you a clear distinction from bay weapons that tend to then have higher USP ratings.

Which damage tables are you going to use - will you keep the auto crit rule for weapon USP vs ship size?

Last edited by mike wightman; March 13th, 2021 at 05:52 PM..
Old March 13th, 2021, 06:10 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

By the way here is a thread from 16 years ago where I brought up using HG for PC scale combat:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ead.php?t=3895

Some interesting discussion and I have changed a lot of my ideas over the years, but it may be worth a look.
Old March 13th, 2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Are you intending to keep weapon USP ratings and battery rules ore are you going to cap small ship weapons at the size of individual turrets?
I am trying to ditch USP ratings, so yes capping damage at the single turret level.

Quote:
Limiting USP ratings for turrets, 1-5 depending on weapon and TL gives you a clear distinction from bay weapons that tend to then have higher USP ratings.

Which damage tables are you going to use - will you keep the auto crit rule for weapon USP vs ship size?
Right now it is a variant of Book2 table, without critical hits. As for the auto crit rule I am using it to generate the number the number of hits a mount delivers, said formula is based on a size zero ship, so as such it works out USP is the amount of damage.
Old March 14th, 2021, 03:51 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Are you intending to keep weapon USP ratings and battery rules or are you going to cap small ship weapons at the size of individual turrets?

Who are you asking the question of?
Old March 14th, 2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Who are you asking the question of?
I assumed it was towards me.
Old March 14th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Noble

It was