Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old November 28th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 11
Enoff Citizen
Default Traveller card game and trading cards

Looking over "Netrunner" a Sci-fi card game by the same author as "Magic" makes we wonder if there was ever an attempt to create a similar "Traveller" game?
Old November 28th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Baronet

Gallery : 0
Visit MJD's Blog
MJD has disabled reputation

I once had an outlined concept. Never presented it to anyone, largely because of the decline of QLI while I was fiddling with the concept.

(But I must stress, this was a private project, nothing to do with QLI)
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Enoff Citizen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectible_card_game

Might be fun to create a card game to handle the spaceship combat in the game.

something based off of High Guard perhaps

There were several spaceship card games being developed

Here is Battlestar Galactica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles...able_Card_Game
Old November 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

If a serious to semi serious discussion is going to take place, I will join in.

Otherwise, I will just sit back and read/enjoy.

(Formerly of WizKids, LLC and Fleer/Skybox Trading Cards)

Dave Chase
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

I recall this coming up here on CotI some years back, to a generally negative reaction, at a time when CCGs were the force major in gaming. FWIW.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:30 AM

ShapeShifter Citizen

Some wargaming rules (e.g. the charming The Sword and the Flame) have what are known as action cards or event cards to randomly insert some unexpected happening into the game to spice things up. These are not CCGs per se, but might be a nice add-on to the game, as in chases, encounters, NPC reactions--the possibilities are nigh endless.

What I have engineered for my own gaming fun is a card-based system for (N)PC generation instead of dice rolls. I have a pack for combat-oriented skills, one for non-combat skills, one for blade combat, one for gun combat, and another for vehicle skills. In my campaign "blaster" (laser) arms are commonplace, so I intentionally boosted the weight for those skill cards, and so on. It is a very fun alternative to the same-old-same-old dice rolls.
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoff View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectible_card_game

Might be fun to create a card game to handle the spaceship combat in the game.

something based off of High Guard perhaps

There were several spaceship card games being developed

Here is Battlestar Galactica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles...able_Card_Game
I'd buy that for a dollar!

I use cards in my game with all the various programs on them for ship computers. Shuffling them around as needed gives the computer/navigator player something to do, and helped tremendously with getting players' heads around the system.

That sort of thing right there can be adapted to a larger card game. Range banding, too, for both personal and ship combat works well with cards. Give players "Dive through air whilst firing two blasters" for -2 to hit/+2 defense, and add a range band change to increase of decrease range, for example.

Dang - something like that could really help with the T5 and Mongoose combat rules, too. Mongoose's in particular seem highly adaptable for it.

Lemme know if you want help or at least when the cards are ready so I can get a set.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old August 1st, 2014, 04:21 PM

Enoff Citizen

I have no programming skills to make such a game. I think its obvious though by the hits that hiring a professional team of programmers would more than recoup the investment cost if such a game is made.
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:28 PM

Enoff Citizen

Still waiting for this product :|

Old September 15th, 2020, 11:58 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoff View Post
Looking over "Netrunner" a Sci-fi card game by the same author as "Magic" makes we wonder if there was ever an attempt to create a similar "Traveller" game?
My theory on the rise of CCGs is that traditional complex counter war games, and even RPGs, don't present or vette the kind of minds that industry, medicine and law enforcement need; i.e. a person who can solve a task within a timely manner with a given set of data.

Games that I grew up with, like Traveller, Star Fleet Battles, Car Wars, Ogre et al, present environment specific scenarios that can be rescaled to military applications, but don't provide the "surprise" or unexpected situation that card games offer; i.e. Spock "Chess", verse Kirk's "Not chess, Spock. Poker."

I've played WW2 CCGs, Magic, and the SFB version. I liked none of them. SFB on its surface, supposed to be an extension of the fantasy that is Star Trek. Traveller is, in my opinion, a GURPS like extension of the role playing aspect of a Trek, Star Wars, Buck Rogers, what have you. And when I see a card game that's supposed to supplant or support those fictions, I roll my eyes.

CCGs of warsims and RPGs take away the figure / counter, take away maps, take away character sheets, take away encounter charts, combat matrixes and whatever else. I mean, I don't play games like I used to, but I really detest CCGs as another test to see who would make desirable candidates for important real life careers. It's almost a kind of head hunter tool for employment. That's my take.

If there was a Star Trek CCG (and there probably is, but I'm too lazy to look it up), then you wouldn't have your character sheet listing your attributes and skills, but a hand of X-number of cards. Some games have a board and playing pieces, but you're not mapping anything. There's no dungeon crawl. There's no specific map movement and exploration so that you can check for traps or turn that alien switch or press that alien button.

Thanks to a variety of circumstances I can no longer organize a gaming group, but if I could, and someone brought a CCG to my house, I would refuse to play it and ask everyone to pick another game, or ask CCG person to find another gaming group, even if it cost me my group.

I'm just tired of seeing them and hearing about them. The last con I went to the year before last had lots of card games ... all of which I hated. I know I'm an old fuddy duddy, but I prefer Car Wars with either counters or minis on a huge map that takes up two dining tables over some card game that dismisses building a vehicle, adding features to it, and dismisses your ability to drive the thing and decide when to fire or not and what range and conditions can do to your chances of hitting and maneuvering.

I really don't get the attraction of CCGs. I really don't. To me they're an extremely dumbed down version of the games that they're supposed to be based off of.

That's my soap box moment, and my two Credits Imperial.