Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwizard View Post
I'm looking at setting up the interstellar wars pre war period where you have the 20 years between first contact with the imperium and the first hostilities. but with the IMTU assumption about the inperials all being cavemen in the eyes of the terrans, leading to a radical transformation of Terran culture and attitudes.
Have you looked at GURPS Traveller Interstellar Wars? I just picked it up in PDF from e23 a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. Even if you aren't going to use GT as your ruleset, you could find a lot of interesting setting details.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:10 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemdian View Post
There are two (or possibly three, depending on how you look at it) campaigns I'd like to run:

An NCIS-like game, set in the Spinward Marches post-5FW. Investigating current crimes and those that took place under the cover of the war ... including the disappearance of an AHL cruiser (the Bard Refuge).
And the abortive conspiracy to turn the Duchy of Regina into a "neutral" Zhodani-backed border state between the Imperium and the Consulate, with the conspirators running the new republic. Several high-ranking Duchy leaders are very anxious to bury all evidence and keep it buried.

(An intrigue I was planning to let my PCs stumble across, but never got around to).

Quote:
A high noble game, full of politics, set on Capital ... in the time leading up to The Assassination.
Then this campaign outline may interest you: The Rise and Fall of Cleon III.

Hans
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
That ship name sounds familiar. Was there an old CT adventure involving it, or maybe just a TNS blurb or something?
MegaTraveller.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:29 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Ah, I detect the voice of a fellow Piper fan! Rest assured, timerover51, that I have been reading all the Piper that I could find since the early 1970s, and was overjoyed when Ace re-issued so much of his stuff in the 80s, so I'm well familiar with his hyperdrive and other tech differences.

I'm currently re-reading Uller Uprising, one of my favorites, which would make an excellent Traveller adventure for a military-oriented group, except that it would require some re-setting as I think that overall the expansion stage of the Federation would not fit well for a traditional Traveller campaign; ships are few and large and generally owned by government or large companies. OTOH, there could certainly be some fun adventures in that time period on places like Uller or Fenris (Four-Day Planet).
Most of Piper's books and short stories are available for download at Project Gutenberg, including Uller Uprising. I think that I read my first Piper book in the mid-1960s. The main thing missing is the Lord Kalvan material. The Lone Star Planet would be fun too, just would take some adaptation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:05 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Most of Piper's books and short stories are available for download at Project Gutenberg, including Uller Uprising.
At Australian Gutenberg, I'm guessing? Surely his work is still under copyright in the USA. Nevertheless, I am now off to look and see, as regardless of one's views on copyright I can't see any harm in getting convenient electronic copies of works that I already own on paper. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I think that I read my first Piper book in the mid-1960s. The main thing missing is the Lord Kalvan material. The Lone Star Planet would be fun too, just would take some adaptation.
I enjoyed Great Kings' War as a continuation of Kalvan's story, although it wasn't as good as Piper would have written it. I have not wanted to risk my money on any of the newer limited-press Kalvan stories, as most examples of other people trying to write in Piper's worlds make me gag (Golden Dreams - bleah! Fuzzy Bones - double-bleah!!).
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
That ship name sounds familiar. Was there an old CT adventure involving it, or maybe just a TNS blurb or something?
MegaTraveller.
CT, I believe. IIRC it's from one of the scenarios in Azhanti High Lightning.

Hans
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
warwizard Citizen

Quote:
Have you looked at GURPS Traveller Interstellar Wars? I just picked it up in PDF from e23 a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. Even if you aren't going to use GT as your ruleset, you could find a lot of interesting setting details.
Yes I have it, and picked it up to support the campaign, I'll be using T4 or perhaps T5 for the actual play. in the back ground I'll have maximum effort colonizations being run on spreadsheets per World Tamer's handbook, so if the players visit any of the colonies the colony will be dynamically changing each time the players come by, along with generating the shiping that will be visiting. so no encounter tables, just a shipping schedule. Had to do some house rules to cover hostile environment colony set up and housing, as the WTH is shirtsleeve environments only.

IMTU tc !23 mgt- mt+ TNE+ T4++ T20- T5 ?T5LBB ?tp tg-- ?th ?to ru ge++ !3i+ c++ jt- au+ ls- pi+,-- ta- he+ ?kk ?hi as dr ?ith ?vr ?ne vg+ So++ Zh- Vi-- da Sy
*all non So humaniti are much closer related to Homo Nethanderalis than are So, and are immediately recognizable to So as "cavemen" complete with fur and the other morphological characteristics that were unimportant to Grandfather's need for a better servant
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
At Australian Gutenberg, I'm guessing? Surely his work is still under copyright in the USA. Nevertheless, I am now off to look and see, as regardless of one's views on copyright I can't see any harm in getting convenient electronic copies of works that I already own on paper. Thanks for the tip!

I enjoyed Great Kings' War as a continuation of Kalvan's story, although it wasn't as good as Piper would have written it. I have not wanted to risk my money on any of the newer limited-press Kalvan stories, as most examples of other people trying to write in Piper's worlds make me gag (Golden Dreams - bleah! Fuzzy Bones - double-bleah!!).
Piper committed suicide in 1964, and as his lawyer, who handled all of his copyright work had dies shortly prior to the suicide, no one was left with copyright control, so none were renewed. The books are on the regular Project Gutenberg website.

I have read Great King's War, and was not exactly a fan of it either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

Quote:
Apart from Supplement 6 the only reference I know of is a TNS story on 329-1123 (Trin). Though when I first started writing this story I was making the early drafts of the first few chapters available for download ... so maybe if you read that, that is what you are remembering.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
silversides207

Gallery :

There is also the John Grimes series by A. Bertram Chandler to look at as well. He does have some interesting worlds, with the option of backward time travel.