Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Solo Citizen
Question

With modifications do you believe the system/world generation rules from T20 would work well in 2300AD? Too difficult to use? Not realistic enough?

-S.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:22 PM

Solo Citizen
Question

Thrash (everyone for that matter),

How do you feel about the ones in the original 2300AD game? Or the ones in Steve Jackson's Gurps:Space?

I know that those very familiar with the space sciences amongst Traveller players are unhappy with the present rules, But I'm trying to see if there is a happy medium between "realistic" and easy to implement for those not so scientifically inclined.

Just wondering, thanks for the help.

-S.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Anthony Citizen
For realistic, here's a fine commentary on the virtues of realistic system generation.

http://www.dangermouse.net/cgi-bin/comic.pl?comic=94

On the scale of 2300AD, how much system design do you really think you're going to be doing? Frankly, finding a world that's at all interesting should be a big event.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 04:03 PM

Solo Citizen
Talking

LOL! My thoughts exactly. The problem is walking the line between too realistic and too fantastic (example: Star Wars). Just wanted to see what some of the remaining fans of 2300AD thought on the matter.

-S.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:38 PM

Secrect Cow Level Citizen
2300 AD world creation is much better than TRAVELLER world creation. I'd say to anyone working on a T20 adaption of 2300 AD to use the 2300 AD world creation rules and ignore the TRAVELLER system.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 08:44 AM

TKalbfus Citizen
Of course the 2300 World Generation system is very time consuming. If the player decides to explore unknown star systems, the process can be very monotonous. The GM would have to roll up all the planets and see if any of them have life, most likely not. It takes an hour of system generation for the players to decide that their is nothing here of interest and move on to the next system.
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen
Teh T20 system is biased towards generating habitable life-bearing planets. That is the nature of hte setting, though. Space Opera, even Hard Space Opera like Traveller, requires an abundance of habitable planets and aliens to interact with (and often shoot).
2300, however, is built on a different set of assumptions. I think the T20 systems could be used, but with modifications. In particular, the mechanism for generating Atmospere, Hydrographics and the Social characteristics would have to be changed. The social stuff could be kept, with modifications, if the world in question is a colony world. Otherwise, a quick system to determine if life is present should be used.

Really, in game, a Ref (or Director) shouldn't be generating systems. For an exploration-based game, that should be done ahead of time. At least a few "generic" systems could be prepared in advance.
Old June 4th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Talking

I like 2300's, but it is a bit slow for "On the Fly". Traveller CT was quick for on-the-fly, T20 is slower, slightly more realistic, but still too populated for 2300, and the population data is based upon presuppositions of long-term habitation, terraforming by the ancients, and other such fiddles.

We now know that superjovians can and do occur, and can occur inside the ecosphere. Star Wars' Yaavin isn't quite so far fetched anymore.

We know that massive planets (jovian - superjovian) exist in quite a few systems, Where the problem lies that we still have but one system where we know the rocky worlds and subjovians.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 19th, 2003, 07:22 PM

TWILIGHT Citizen
Not sure why folks are worried about this topic. 2300AD has so few planets that there can be practically no-one there when they're discovered as discovery of a new system is still a major event in the setting. It's not like Traveller where its accepted as almost commonplace that it'll have a generic bar, customs, TED or whatever. Also if the referee has to generate many worlds in the course of a game year then it's kinda steering away from 2300AD and the referee should get a copy of traveller (TNE or T4). Disregarding the obvious flaws and numerous eratta i think the world generation system for 2300AD is ok and should be left alone. JMHO
Old July 24th, 2003, 12:09 AM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Kalbfus:
Of course the 2300 World Generation system is very time consuming. If the player decides to explore unknown star systems, the process can be very monotonous. The GM would have to roll up all the planets and see if any of them have life, most likely not. It takes an hour of system generation for the players to decide that their is nothing here of interest and move on to the next system.
The trick is to make the players spend six hours figuring out that there is nothing there of interest.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates