Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 19th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
RandyT0001 Citizen
I haven't read all of the posts about CT+ so this is something of a fishing expedition. I'm curious if there has been any discussion about changes to the world/system generation as is outlined in CT (LBB3/LBB6)?

My basic idea is to generate the world physical stats, size, atmosphere, and hydrographics. After this the population, government and law level is determined based partially on the physical stats. Then the trade classifications followed by the starport. Last the remaing system objects including the star, any moons, gas giants, etc. are determined with DM's based on the previous stats generated.

I'm not looking for a "super-realistic" system I just desire a more reasonable system. I have a problem when one planet has 20 billion people on it in a very thin atmosphere and with no surface water tidelocked to a M8V star while the the next one orbits a F,G,K star in it's habitable zone, has a standard atmosphere, surface water but only has 30,000 people on it. I want to try and fix that.

Comments, questions, tomatoes?
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:24 AM

Berg Citizen
There should be a DM for neighbouring systems within J-6 or something. Also, all Physical stats of an area (sector, subsector) should be done before the rest. Right now I'm correcting all the steller data for the Trojan Reaches from H&E with Mr. Mal's stellar tables. Tedious [img]graemlins/file_28.gif[/img]

Tom
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Hey, they're as streamlined as I could get 'em [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Berg Citizen
That's funny, I didn't mean your tables, I mean't the fact I have to fix all this stuff that is so obviously broken you wonder why anyone accepted it in the first place.

But I still wish your excellent tables were programmed

Tom
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Berg:
That's funny, I didn't mean your tables, I mean't the fact I have to fix all this stuff that is so obviously broken you wonder why anyone accepted it in the first place.
Tom
Someone did the best they could with limited research and understanding of the subject, in the pre-Internet age where research meant hours looking up books in the library, and not always having the books you wanted or needed.

It served.

More effort and knowledge is available now. Therefore, it is only natural that a switch to a superior process should occur.

What we need is the courage to say, "Let's get rid of the old garbage and begin anew. I know it'll hurt because of difference with what has been presented earlier, but the overall advantage to be gained from doing so is so enormous that it is all worthwhile."
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Berg Citizen
Very true. No insult intended, just lots of work ahead, which I don't mind if it helps others. Just wondering if the stellar stuff was ever Canon?

Tom
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Berg:
Very true. No insult intended, just lots of work ahead, which I don't mind if it helps others. Just wondering if the stellar stuff was ever Canon?

Tom
Only the published stuff was canon for sure.

The trouble is, the Sunbane/GEnie information, and the slighly different Galactic informaiton, was used so far and wide that it is treated by many as though it might as well be canon.

As seen in the stalled CSSP, many are willing to discard such non-canon data. However, it is unknown how far this goes beyond CotI.

The effective message in the T5 Playtest area was that the non-canon data, including the severely flawed stellar data, was going to be made canon in the formerly-much-awaited new Second Survey product (it's not awaited by me any longer, now that I know it won't be contain corrected/improved data).
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Yeah Berg, I was just teasing [img]smile.gif[/img] . AFAIK, Flynn has a programmed version of it (we used that for the TNE:1248 playtest), I don't know if he'd be willing to make it available but you could ask.

Quote:
What we need is the courage to say, "Let's get rid of the old garbage and begin anew. I know it'll hurt because of difference with what has been presented earlier, but the overall advantage to be gained from doing so is so enormous that it is all worthwhile."
Absolutely, RoS. And as you mention, Marc seems to be entirely against this concept from what was we gathered from the T5 playtest.
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Berg Citizen
I think a smaller tweak to the UWP is required, but a major rework of the supposed "canon" stellar data is definately required. This "should be" palatable to "canonists" as the UWP are the heart of it all. But then again they're not called canonists for nothing

Tom
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation
That's "canonista" to you, Berg!

But, hey, I am all for trashing a goodly part of the OTU stellar data. Let's keep one really egregious example of each bad bit, though - just for old times' sake.