Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old March 22nd, 2003, 11:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
travalv Citizen
I an thinking of adding the "interrobang" as a valid punctuation mark IMTU's version of Anglic (I loathe the word "Galanglic"...

A brief descriptionis located here: http://www.interrobang-mks.com/

Has anyone else 'flavoured' their version of the Imperial language? Since we don't actually need to speak Imperial to play the game, I doubt it: but a few small changes (ie: 'humaniti') can help create an atmosphere of 'things are diferent here'...
Old March 22nd, 2003, 12:18 PM

Merchant Reaper Citizen
Have to admit, this is something I have never worried about. As for my opinion, I think it will help accomplish your goal of illustrating things are a bit different around here.

Bob
Old March 22nd, 2003, 04:48 PM

travalv Citizen
Arrow

Yeah, Merchant Reaper, most Referees & Players are just not interested in this level of trivia And I do respect their viewpoint: Ref's have enough things to worry about, and Players just want to get into the game, see new civilizations, and watch out for tracer shots - not worry about their punctuation!

But hey, if any Ref's and the PC like my bit of flavour, go for it!

I guess that what I really want is immersive gaming, to truly step into another, self-consistent world. But I don't have a few Crays and the personal world design team I could use to really create a differnt world...

Funding would be nice, too! Any Imperial Nobles out there with the cash to blow on this kind of thing? I'm a bit strapped right now...
Old March 23rd, 2003, 03:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Falkayn Citizen
Heretech

1. Here(tical)-tech(nology). Technology that is generally regarded as being too dangerous and/or antisocial to be acceptable. Examples include nanotechnology and cybernetics. Technology can be redeemed from this heretical state by changes in the social perception of its dangers. Most Imperials would not believe that Nuclear power should be regarded as heretch, yet ancient Solomani records show that for a time it was.

2. A person following a religious cult that promotes heretical technology, for example a cult preaching "freedom from the meat" through cybernetics.
Falkayn<br /><b><a href=\"http://www.Falkayn.com\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn.com</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cafepress.com/falkayn\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn\'s Store</a></b><br />(Traveller inspired T-shirts!)
Old March 23rd, 2003, 04:15 AM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
Question

"What about use of a standardized "pictorial" or iconographic language in Traveller? Is there a basis for such a thing?" he said, staring at his "My Computer" icon...

[img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old March 23rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

WendellM Citizen
I believe the more common form of this is just "?!". No real need for a special char.
Old March 24th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by WendellM:
I believe the more common form of this is just "?!". No real need for a special char.
I tend to use 3 chars, either "!?!" or "?!?", depending on whether the puzzlement or the startlement is uppermost in my mind.

Hans
Old March 24th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

ctskerry Citizen
Send a message via AIM to ctskerry
Quote:
Originally posted by Falkayn:
Heretech

1. Here(tical)-tech(nology). Technology that is generally regarded as being too dangerous and/or antisocial to be acceptable. Examples include nanotechnology and cybernetics. Technology can be redeemed from this heretical state by changes in the social perception of its dangers. Most Imperials would not believe that Nuclear power should be regarded as heretch, yet ancient Solomani records show that for a time it was.

2. A person following a religious cult that promotes heretical technology, for example a cult preaching "freedom from the meat" through cybernetics.
Hmm, doesn't really flow sounds a bit contrived. I think people would just called it badtech if they thought about it at all (the establishment of course would prefer that they not think about it).

Kerry
Old March 30th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

chatdemon Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to chatdemon Send a message via AIM to chatdemon
Quote:
Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
"What about use of a standardized "pictorial" or iconographic language in Traveller? Is there a basis for such a thing?" he said, staring at his "My Computer" icon...

[img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img]
That is a very interesting idea. Since, iirc, anglic became the language of the Imperium during the Rule of Man when the Solomani culture began to seriously weed its way into Imperial life, it's easy to extrapolate current trends out to get some ideas about what things would be like on Terra thousands of years from now.
Especially since the advent of the internet, we've seen a major trend in western culture to bastardize the language (skillz, xtreme, etc) and iconify concepts.
I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that there are different distinct levels of literacy and written language in the Imperium. Your average Joe or Jane really has no reason to know how to fully read the Anglic language, since news broadcasts, literature, entertainment and communication can all be easily handled vocally (through videophones, human or computers reading to yo, etc.). Their computer terminals and everything else they use that is computerized (which, if you at least accept the Virus plotline as a possibility (whether you accept that it happened isn't important, just the idea that it could happen), would be so dumbed down that it's easy to picture a very MSN/AOL style interface that has little or no written text, instead relying on icons and voice to allow the people to interface with it. This becomes even more prevalent if you've added cybertech to your campaign. Why should I bother reading the terminal when I can just plug in and have the data hotwired into my brain?

Getting back somewhat to the original topic of the thread though:

I think introducing new characters into the alphabet is a great idea, and it doesn't even have to be a Imperium wide standard. Regional and/or vocational variation is a very realistic possibility, as is the use of slang and jargon that varies greatly. Consider, as someone touched on briefly in a prior post, the use of the word meat:

Standard definition: Animal Protein that you can eat
Cybertech Folk def: The human body before augmentation
Mercenary/Military def: Corpses on a battlefield
Psionics Endowed Folk def: The mind of a non-psion

Other variants are possible, and likely, but I think those illustrate the point. Fleshing out and diversifying the language spoken by most folk is, imo, an important part of bringing the Imperium to life.

One last bit that just occured to me, considering that I grew up in Southern California, where a lot of Spanish words and phrases get assimilated into American English. It makes perfect sense that the further you travel into the heart of the Vilani sections of the Imperium, you would find more Vilani phrases and words sprinkled throughout Imperial Anglic. Similarly, out in the Spinward Marches you might find a bit of Zhodani mixed into the cant. Traces of Vargr, Aslan and other alien languages would be prevalent in the areas with contact with those races.

I really like the idea that two Imperial humans, both fully fluent in (spoken at least) Anglic could walk up to each other and both be thinking 'what the hell did he just say?' Great immersion into the setting through that simple technique.
Old April 17th, 2003, 09:05 AM

pauldrye Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
There's never been a natural pictorial language at any time in real human history. *Every* written language, even what might seem to be obvious exceptions like Chinese and Ancient Egyptian, have a considerable basis in the spoken language it represents. Visual puns based on similarity of spoken words, using pictures to represent the first letter of the object they display, that sort of thing. They're more "rebus" languages than "pictorial", if you know what I mean.

So, if you mean "strictly pictorial", in the sense of symbols that directly represent the concepts themselves with no reference to spoken language, no, the human brain doesn't seem to be wired to allow a that kind of reading except at the pidgin level. If you mean something less strict, we've already got them: Chinese, etc.