Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old October 19th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Murph Citizen
IMTU, the Imperial Marines had a number of Regiments which maintained the ties to Old Earth famous regiments

42nd Marines- The Black Watch
71st Marines- The HLI
Same with the Cameronians, Gordon Highlanders, etc

7th Marine Cavalry- Garry Owen
17th Cavalry- Totenkopf Hussaren
etc.

Bagpipes were in all Imperial Marine Regiments, Commando regiments used the Light Infantry quickstep march. Cavalry regiments traditionally wore a stetson, unless they had a specific "tribal" headgear.

Standard dress uniform was similar the USMC colors, with Mess dress being a white Tunic, and Navy Blue trousers with a red stripe.
Old October 19th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Ranger Citizen
Just a counter proposal,

If you’re going to base the Imperial Marines on Earth traditions, then I would go with using paratroop regiments. The logic for this would be as follows, at present, it is the Air Force that is the leading military agency in space development and exploration. It would then seem to follow that the troops that work with the Air Force, that it the Airborne units, would make up the future Spaceborne forces as well.

If that were true, then you could use the following system for regimental numbers:

5XX for Jump Regiments

3XX for Assault Shuttle Regiments (the old ‘glider riders’)

This could give you up to 99 regiments of each just following the ‘American model’

Note: The fact that I am a former Paratrooper myself is in now way affecting my view of this issue…. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

Rob
Old October 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

PapaGolfWhiskey Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to PapaGolfWhiskey
just WHO the heck is this 'Garry Owen' Fellow. My copy of Dupuy's 'Encycolpedia of Military Biography' makes no mention of him.

Mind you it also fails to mention Gen. De Gaul either.

I based my Marine Traditions on those described for Co-Dominion Marines in Jerry Pournelle's "The Mercenary".
Old October 19th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

BluWolf Citizen
The ONLY reason the Airforce is the leading military representaive in space so far is because no one has asked them to take any land yet.

When that happens it WILL be the Marines. No argument.

Semper Fi, Mac. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Old October 19th, 2002, 11:08 PM

Murph Citizen
http://www.naples.net/presents/7thcav/

http://ingeb.org/songs/letbacch.html (listen to the midi file)

Garry Owen! LZ Xray in Vietnam, Custer's Own.

Quote:
Originally posted by Garf:
just WHO the heck is this 'Garry Owen' Fellow. My copy of Dupuy's 'Encycolpedia of Military Biography' makes no mention of him.

Mind you it also fails to mention Gen. De Gaul either.

I based my Marine Traditions on those described for Co-Dominion Marines in Jerry Pournelle's "The Mercenary".
Old October 19th, 2002, 11:19 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by BluWolf:
When that happens it WILL be the Marines. No argument.

Semper Fi, Mac. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Or the Navy. The Commander of the first International Space Station crew was Captain William Shepherd, USN.

A SEAL.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old October 20th, 2002, 01:06 AM

Uncle Bob Citizen
In case Murph is being too obscure, "Garry Owen" is an Irish drinking song from the middle 19th Century. It was the Regimental March of the US 7th Cavalry and eventually became the slogan and battle cry of the regiment.

Besides the Indian Wars, where the 7th took heavy casualties at The Little Big Horn and returned the favor at Wounded Knee (not a massacre, although a bit one-sided) the 7th served as Infantry in the Pacific in WWII. In Vietnam a battalion of the 7th Cavalry was the airmobile unit in We Were Soldiers.

And that is where Garry Owen comes from.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old October 20th, 2002, 01:24 AM

Uncle Bob Citizen
One more thought. I was thinking that tracing the traditions of 3rd Imperium Marines to contemporary units is kind of like tracing the lineage of the 3rd Armored Division to the Gold Wing of Assyrian chariots.

(And before anyone gets huffy, I invented "the Gold Wing")
Old October 20th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

s-feige Citizen
Quote:
Uncle Bob:
... tracing the traditions of 3rd Imperium Marines to contemporary units is kind of like tracing the lineage of the 3rd Armored Division to the Gold Wing of Assyrian chariots.
Yep. That's what I always think. On the other hand, PCs tend to: Wear old flight jackets with NASA patches..., Tend to drink Coca Cola and Whisky..., Imperial military ranks are U.S. military ranks... (hope I'm right here),
and so on...

So IMHO it's not too far-fetched to use more Terran equivalents, because it's natural to us. Perhaps the Rule of Man had more influence than we thought. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old October 20th, 2002, 10:04 AM

DrSkull Citizen
According to T4 at least, part of the Third Imperium's legitimacy at the time of the founding was a link to the Rule of Man through a local Rule of Man leader (who may have actually claimed to be emperor) whose dynasty ruled Sylea during much of the Long Night.

Since Cleon I was pushing this claim to be "Restoring" the Imperium, rather than founding a new one, perhaps he could have done a lot of research into Rule of Man traditions when he re-organized the Sylean Federation armed forces into the Imperial ones.

Would it not have been inconcievable for Mussolini to have renamed his regiments after old Roman ones. Since we do know a fair amount about various Roman legions and other units, it's not outside the realm of possibility.