Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Adventurers

Adventurers Tell us your Traveller character stats, skills, and details.

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 3
david.wendelken Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
Despite Dave's oversight in not mentioning the exact type of ship, or even whether she got it as a "mustering-out benefit"*, I suspect that this was a scout/courier, as her assignment was to the "312th Scout Explorer Fleet", as "Marine Liason Officer, Vargr Extents".
At least, the "ship's laser" (from the fighter she won her first SEH in) seems to have become her personal property.

*(I suspect that she did, as having been on assignment with the Scouts this final term, she would get 1 roll on their table... and a roll of 5 or 6 {due to her rank} would get a S/C)
Your surmise about the scout/courier is completely correct. It was not an oversight on my part not to mention it, the reporter for TAS either did not find those details interesting, or the editor cut them for space reasons.

The "Laser of Love" was officially (and conveniently ) considered surplus and was therefore available for private purchase by parties friendly to Chehesti. The Tukera family (and the Imperial one) was pleased at how well she had discredited their political opponents in the Moot.

In addition, I live in a military town and am well aware of the respect an American soldier with the Congressional Medal of Honor (the US real-world equivalent to the Starburst for Extreme Heroism) would receive from other soldiers. I can well imagine the way many procedural obstacles would simply disappear for someone with more than one of those medals. (Speaking as a US citizen, I would simply state that they earned that extra consideration, and then some.)

Megatraveller had such a rule, in that medals allowed some die roll modifiers. I added that rule, plus a revved-up one from Classic Traveller that allowed the survival role to be modified by MOS skills.

It still took a lot of luck to get a surviving character with that many Starbursts!

Since the character started with a low social standing and still had one upon retirement mustering out, I needed a reason. Clearly, given the war record, some reason other than poltroonery was needed. That's why I added her extremely salty and colorful speech and low-brow, enlisted Marine tastes. She simply never fit in with the higher social classes that predominate in the Naval and Marine Officer Corps - at least the ones with pretensions of superiority based upon birth instead of ability. She always got on famously with those in authority who valued results over "breeding".
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Actually, I suspect the SEH is more akin to a Service Cross*; the MCG to a Silver Star**, and the MCUF to a Bronze Star***. The equivalent to a CMH would be an SEH with an accompanying Knighthood in the Order of the Emperor's Guard or the Order of Heroes... Or even joining the baronetage or baronage†

*Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, or Air Force Cross
** or a Combat DSM or DDSM, which are higher than the SS
*** or a DFC+V, or a NAMCM, or a LOM+V
† probably sans fief. Tho' if important enough, yeah, add the fief.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:15 PM

david.wendelken Citizen

That's an interesting idea. IMTU, the SEH was always the equivalent of the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Victoria Cross, i.e., the nation's highest military award.

The job of the imperial nobility is to provide loyal leadership with sufficient authority to get things done despite a bureaucracy's inbred attempt to do "what we've always done" instead of what is now needed.

That's quite a different job from being a hero on the battlefield.
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:26 PM

david.wendelken Citizen

Started another thread on the medal equivalent issue at:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...983#post346983
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Just let me express my appreciation to you for this character.

She reminds me of USMC L/Cpl Sophie Gallegos.
As we were preparing to deploy to Japan for 6 months, it was suggested that Sophie jump out of a cake at the squadron "departing party" clad in a bikini.
Her response was "You mean I have to wear something?"

Jon A. Sgt, USMC 1981-1989.

Last edited by BlackBat242; April 10th, 2010 at 05:28 AM..
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Gallery : 0
Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
... I submit, however, two other weapons she is never without... as illustrated here:

Weapons of mass distraction, no doubt.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:55 PM

david.wendelken Citizen
Post Dateline 094-1108: Spinward Marches, Mora/Mora

The Imperial Enquirer has announced they have acquired a draft copy of the Emperor's Birthday Honours List. Further, they have revealed the surprising claim that retired General of Marines Imaah "Chesty" Chehesti, will be receiving belated Imperial Honours.

As readers may recall, General Chehesti is a highly respected soldier who was awarded the Starburst for Extreme Heroism an astonishing six times. Her no-nonsense attitude and salty manners made her a lot of enemies among the nobles at Core/Core. Chehesti retired in 1105 without a single noble honour, a fact which angered many rank and file within both the Imperial Army and Marines.

Her book, "Off my chest!", was an instant best seller and increased her popularity among citizens all across the Imperium. The profits are rumoured to have been donated to the charitable organization "Orphans of Imperial Military Parents" and to a similar group she founded on Mora/Byret for those killed in that planet's insurrection.

Chehesti has been acting as a freelance traveling spokesperson for Instellarms since her retirement and could not immediately be reached for comment. Instellarms limited their comment to an appreciation for Chehesti's many contributions to the Imperium and its citizens.

Speculation frenzy as to the nature of the honours is building. The Imperial Enquirer spokesperson promised all would be revealed in due time. Our society correspondents on Core/Core tell us that the announcment has been met with open disdain by many of the Emperor's detractors in the Moot.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:58 PM

david.wendelken Citizen
Default The Real Backstory to the last news release

Ok, I confess. I tried to ignore the Traveler 5 Kickstarter campaign.

I really tried.

I failed.

So I pledged enough to get some cool swag including noble honours for a character, so I picked Chehesti.

I don't know exactly what honours she'll get, so I'll just have to wait like the rest of the Imperial Enquirer's readers...
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:40 PM

david.wendelken Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.wendelken View Post
Ok, I confess. I tried to ignore the Traveler 5 Kickstarter campaign.

I really tried.

I failed.

So I pledged enough to get some cool swag including noble honours for a character, so I picked Chehesti.

I don't know exactly what honours she'll get, so I'll just have to wait like the rest of the Imperial Enquirer's readers...
Traveler 5 plus nifty swag will be shipping soon...
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:45 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I assume that this is a parody of Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, the most decorated Marine in US History.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.