Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old April 30th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
RickA Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to RickA
Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:

Oh, also never say impossible in front of the players, they'll always find a way [img]graemlins/file_22.gif[/img] For example the misjump issue. Even using refined fuel they may jump too soon and close to a planet (for any number of sensible, i.e. insane, reasons) and that increases the odds a lot. No doubt one of them is going to think about that savings of a couple days next time they are behind schedule and consider attempting to initiate a misjump on purpose
lol, not my players. Maybe it's that we've been playing together for so many years, but my guys are conservative to a fault. [img]smile.gif[/img] Anything they can do to reduce their risks without seeming to be SUPER paranoid, they do.

They'd have to be being chased by a Solomani frigate with all guns blazing to convince them to jump short of 100 planetary diameters out.

Wish I'd thought about or known about the fuel refining issue before we started play. Now that we're past the Stoner Express adventure it's hard for me to change the ground rules (refined fuel, for example).
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+
RickA,

First; it sounds as if your group is having fun, which is the only criteria to judge a game by.

Second; RoS brings up a very important point. From an economic standpoint, LBB:2's trade system is broken and, because T20's system is based on the LBB:2 system, T20's system is broken as well. However, 'broken' in this case doesn't mean badly designed or poorly thought out. Far from the case. The system is 'broken' in the sense that the system is rigged to keep PCs poor and struggling. In other words, the trade system is a built-in adventure hook for GMs to snare PCs with.

Third; If I were you I'd re-read Dan Burn's comments again. He ain't called 'Free Trader' for nothing! Aside from the mortgage issues, look again at some of the other issues he brings up:

- Why is the broker aboard your PCs' vessel allowed to behave as if he has the same information and contacts as a planetary broker? Skills and experience, yes. Current knowledge of the local markets and their trends, hardly.

- Ditto for your nascent merchant.

- That mythical 20dTon/11dTon cargo space aboard your scout/courier. Is it all in one volume? What shape is it? What size hatches do you need to go through to access it? Can you get the usual shipments in there or do your PCs need to break down each shipment and load parcels by hand? Will a given shipment be physically able to be broken down into smaller parcels for loading? Why do folks sell your crew partial lots; like that fertilizer fellow, without charging a premium?

As the others have pointed out, you'll need to tweak the trade tables in your case to inject a break on things before your PCs get too rivh too fast. OTOH, it's good to know they already have plans for all that money!

Have fun,
Bill
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:42 AM

RickA Citizen
One modification I've made to the commodities chart is that I'm restricting product based on tech level. Tech level 1 world? Then it's 1-10 on the chart. Tech level 5 world? It's 1-50 on the chart.

Tech level 13? 1d100+30, which means a lot of stuff from the desirable 90-100 portion of the chart comes up on high tech planets.

I'm quite sure tech level shouldn't be the only modifying factor to the die roll on what commodities are available to a merchant/broker to purchase, but at least it's something. The second time my group bought 5 tons of cybernetic parts on a TL3 planet I decided I had to do something to keep that from happening again, lol.

Still, the system is broke. Tonight my group pooled money into an equal partnership, 10mCr. By the end of the evening's gameplay (7 jumps I think it was, in the Glimmerdrift Subsector area) they had grown that 10mCr to 55mCr. And that's not an aberation, the trade system is a virtual license to print money, heh.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM

RickA Citizen
Last night they had 55 million to start with, by the end of the night they had sold the Broad Side of a Barn and put 25% down on a brand new 300 ton freigher (built at a ship yard that charged 200% of the normal cost of a ship of this design), took off in the new ship and by the end of the night had 60+ mCr in liquid assets again, plus about 50 mCr in the cargo hold waiting to be sold.

I have to admit I'm very confused as to how a system so obviously broken makes it into print? Are there editors? Are there playtesters?
Old July 4th, 2005, 09:57 PM

RickA Citizen
Here's the ship they bought/financed this week. I charged 'em 200% of the price that would be normal because it was built at what would be the Traveller equivalent of the Aston Martin auto factory, but they'll still easily make the payments on it, even with only a 10 year mortgage on the thing. I'll have floorplans I'll probably put up on my website soon, if anyone is interested in a tricked out 300 ton yacht. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Spirit of Freedom - Yacht Class A
Designed by: T'Path LTD, Eda – Williamsburg Subsector,
Glimmerdrift Reaches

Statistics:
300-ton Hull (Cylinder) – Streamlined
AC: 13 (13 vs. Meson Guns) AR: 0 SI: 130 Initiative: 3
Starship Size: Medium Cost: 186.93 MCr (Actual price at Eda 373.66 MCr)
Model/6 (PP: 57/13) Computer
Avionics: Less than 600-ton
Sensors: Medium Range
Communications: Medium Range
Cargo: 67.0-tons
Annual Maintenance = 14.954 KCr (7.477 KCr if routinely maintained)
Routine Maintenance = 3.739 KCr/Month (37.386 KCr per year)

Performance:
Jump-3 (enough fuel for 1x Jump-3)
Acceleration: 3-G Agility: 3
Power Plant: TL-15 Fusion (32 EP output, enough fuel for 2 weeks)
Fuel Scoops, Fuel Purification Plant (TL-15, 5hrs per 200 tons of fuel)
Atmospheric Speeds: NOE = 1,175kph Cruising = 3,525kph Maximum = 4,700kph

Weapons:
Hardpoints: 3
3x Triple Pulse Laser Turret TL-13, +3 To Hit, 3d10 (19/x2), Range: 45,000km

Ship's Vehicles:
1x 10-ton vehicle hangar with a Wheeled ATV in bay.

Accommodations & Fittings:
10x Double Occupancy Stateroom (20 People)
4x Low Berth (4 People)
2x Standalone Fresher
2x Autodoc
1x Airlock

Crew Details:
1x Pilot
1x Astrogator
2x Engineer
1x Steward
1x Medic

Description:
The Spirit of Freedom was designed by T'Path LTD at Eda Shipyards in the Williamsburg Subsector, Glimmerdrift Sector. It was designed as a custom yacht for the Consortium. The ships two turrets of triple pulse lasers are linked as a battery. The separate triple pulse laser turret is a standalone firing turret. Battery is at +4 to hit and does 4d10 damage. The separate turret is at +3 to hit and does 3d10 damage.