Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 24th, 2021, 02:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
Jetrock Citizen
Default MgT2 stats for VRF Gauss Gun?

Are there MgT 2 stats for the classic Traveller high-tech crew-served weapon, the VRF Gauss Gun? Can't find it in the MgT 2 equipment list or central supply catalog, despite having been Traveller canon since LBB 4. Are there stats for the VRF Gauss Gun in a Mongoose supplement somewhere, or am I missing it in the books?
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Both are for MgT1E ,but maybe this ca nhelp you:
  • Book 1 (Mercenary): describes the VRF Gaus Rifle among heavy weapons. WHile specified as Rifle, it's said to need a "stationary pintle-mount" when not used with powered armor.
  • Suplement 6 (Military Vehicles): the VRF Gauss Gun appears among the weaponry available. It's quite similar to the VRF Gaus Rifle above in performance, though lower TL

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old May 24th, 2021, 07:48 AM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Referee's Briefing 4: Mercenary Forces:

The text is copied from the previous entry, it's a misspelled Gatling Laser.

The Traveller Companion discusses ammo usage briefly.
Old May 26th, 2021, 03:38 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

LBB4 VRF Gauss gun struck me more as a point defense/phalanx kind of weapon. That 30000 round weapon bay is Not Casual.
Old May 26th, 2021, 11:18 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
LBB4 VRF Gauss gun struck me more as a point defense/phalanx kind of weapon. That 30000 round weapon bay is Not Casual.
It's a mid-range support weapon offering suppressive fire.

However, there was a day when we had a free afternoon, an APC with a mounted VRF, and a map from the Boot Hill game.

We were cruising down the street when the saloon door swung open and gunslinger said "Draw, Stranger!"

We pivoted the VRF around at him and let off a burst. We wrote a small program to roll all the dice lol.

"Play misty for me".
Old May 27th, 2021, 02:15 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
It's a mid-range support weapon offering suppressive fire.

However, there was a day when we had a free afternoon, an APC with a mounted VRF, and a map from the Boot Hill game.

We were cruising down the street when the saloon door swung open and gunslinger said "Draw, Stranger!"

We pivoted the VRF around at him and let off a burst. We wrote a small program to roll all the dice lol.

"Play misty for me".

Hmm.

I guess I'm more of a Death Star run point blank fighter between the nuclear damper projectors VRF gauss gun with Californium round kinda guy.
Old May 27th, 2021, 11:09 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Hmm.

I guess I'm more of a Death Star run point blank fighter between the nuclear damper projectors VRF gauss gun with Californium round kinda guy.
Well, I think the best modern rendition of just a sample of the VRF is the boat extract from "Act of Valor". Couple of brown water boats with some mini-guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0vZY0m6INU&t=114s

The VRF is more impressive by its Gauss nature and performance (4mm, 4 grams, 4500m/s -- 30,000(!!!) ft/lb of energy), vs it's rate of fire. The modern mini-gun is comparable in terms of ROF.
Old June 30th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Jetrock Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Referee's Briefing 4: Mercenary Forces:

The text is copied from the previous entry, it's a misspelled Gatling Laser.

The Traveller Companion discusses ammo usage briefly.
I suppose they might be similar in performance, but gauss guns are slug throwers, not energy weapons; the LBB4 VRF Gauss Gun used similar ammunition to the gauss rifle (4mm slug) but at much higher velocities, definitely a heavy crew-served or vehicle-mounted weapon. Although I suppose the AP trait gives it a more realistic profile, since a hypervelocity 4mm round will punch through substantial armor, but won't necessarily do more damage to a body than a gaussrifle round of similar caliber but lower velocity. It is more of a point defense weapon. But this does provide a weapon of similar profile, short of official stats--thanks!
Old July 1st, 2021, 05:27 AM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

That is the official VRF Gauss Gun, the title in the table is just mistaken, and misspelt.

Old July 1st, 2021, 07:06 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++