Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
The captain asked about affordable repairs that we might make in port (in the In-Character topic) and the terrific description of the ship's condition got me thinking ...
I am trying to find this post to put your suggestions in context; went back several days on the IC thread trying to see what Sabredog had to say about the ship's condition. Could you give me a pointer to the post you are talking about, please?

Now I will look at your PDF and see if it helps me understand what y'all are discussing here, bc so far it is going right over my head.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Also, keep in mind if Doc has been on for 4 months, though not super talented at mechanical and electrical (medical equipment) and robotic he could have been working on the sickbay and some of the robots during the hours of Jump.

As for profits (SpaceBadger) do not forget that we could have sold a few of what Doc brought aboard with him if we are in need of some cash.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Yeah, I re-read that several times, trying to find a connection that wasn't there. Apparently it is just suggested color for the GM to use, with no game effect.
Yep. Pert' much.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
We know that 'Annual Maintenance' costs 1/1000 of the total cost of the ship, so what if we assume that each component listed in Ship Design costs 1/1000 of it's total cost for annual maintenance.
That seems reasonable, as long as we are careful not to leave anything out.

Quote:
So I compiled a best guess list of everything in the ship and its annual maintenance cost. Then using the data presented so far on the ship's condition, I calculated which items were up to date, which items had some maintenance but were still not 100% and which items were long overdue on maintenance.
This part in the PDF I don't really follow. For example, why is the Bridge maintenance considered up-to-date? And other various parts, some have different amounts showing for maintenance overdue compared to other identical parts (staterooms, for example). Where do these come from?

Quote:
Then I made some back-of-the-envelope assumptions and calculations ...
1. Annual Maintenance cost is 1/3 new parts, so there is no option but to buy the parts.
2. Annual Maintenance cost is 2/3 labor at 1 hour of labor per 2000 credits of labor cost at a drydock (where the professionals have lots of experience and special tools to make the job faster) or twice as much time for a ship's crew working without a drydock.
From this I calculated costs for parts and time for labor for the crew to do the repairs.
This all seems pretty reasonable, and I applaud extrapolating from the rules to figure out things that aren't covered by the rules. However, I think that part of the reason that annual maintenance is supposed to be done at an A or B port (as opposed to just continual stuff by the crew) is that there are some systems aboard ship that might need some tools or equipment not normally carried - say a "jump tuner" for the J drives or something.

I like your idea for saving money and getting the ship caught up on some areas previously neglected, but I think we need to figure in some parts that really need to be done in port, for whatever reasons we come up with, or else we are short-circuiting part of the rules that are intended to make it necessary to have contact w major ports (which can be a problem for pirates or criminals on the lam as their ship deteriorates, until they find a friendly port). (Not to mention the metagame reason for some of this, to add another expense to the ship so the crew doesn't just fly around making money and never spending any except on better gear and bigger guns. )

Quote:
So I just wanted the Ref to look over the proposal and bless or change some of the data before I introduce it into the in-character response from Max to the Captain.

[Any and all comments welcome: The goal is to create a framework to hang roleplaying and world to world adventures from.]
And on that ground alone I really like it, so I say go ahead and fix stuff, but just don't assume you can fix everything this way, and later we will try to work out what parts or what %age need to be actually done in A or B port.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this is one area where Hard Times had some very useful stuff on buying used or junked equipment and getting value out of it for replacement parts for stuff that you have that needs fixing.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 14th, 2013 at 04:02 PM..
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
Also, keep in mind if Doc has been on for 4 months, though not super talented at mechanical and electrical (medical equipment) and robotic he could have been working on the sickbay and some of the robots during the hours of Jump.
Good point, I had forgotten about that. OK, take the condition I described for the med-bay toward the end of the ship document, and let me know what parts you figure might be fixed by now. Probably not any that cost serious money, bc the ship has been running pretty lean so far trying to restore its operating funds since those original crew took off with their share, then Hampton had to spend a bundle on new ship ID and transponder.

EDIT: and see note above re Hard Times rules on buying junked equipment to cannibalize for replacement parts in repairs - might look around or keep an eye open for some similar bots being sold as used or as junk, that could help repair the ones that you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
As for profits (SpaceBadger) do not forget that we could have sold a few of what Doc brought aboard with him if we are in need of some cash.
Another good point, although I think you'd want to hang onto as much as you can for 1) possible need, and 2) getting better prices due to scarcity out in the Deep (now if I could just figure out some rules to quantify those "better prices for scarcity" so y'all an make your own decisions about that, rather than me just telling you where would be best, which starts to smell like a railroad rather than a sandbox).

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 14th, 2013 at 04:04 PM..
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Yeah, I re-read that several times, trying to find a connection that wasn't there. Apparently it is just suggested color for the GM to use, with no game effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Yep. Pert' much.
Which is just silly, as it is those details that can make big differences in the roleplaying, such as taking into consideration what sorts of things a new colony may be desperate to have and be willing to pay as much as they can afford (or owe some favors) to get.

Generic loads from "A-A Ri Cr7000" just don't cut it for that purpose.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:08 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Suggestion: when you get to Devonia (or at least within talking distance), maybe y'all could buy some updated Library Data on the region?

I figure the Library Data you'd have aboard from Daibei sector shows all except for a few known worlds in the Deep (the ones the Daibei merchants trade at) as "Uninhabited" with only the 1000-year-old RoM survey data. (Imperial Realm military intelligence probably has more up-to-date info on suspected Reaver worlds, but that might not get into public Library Data.)

Whereas folks who actually live in the Deep and trade more often with interior systems would have more up-to-date info.

I thought of making two sets of Library Data to reflect this, but I am already working overtime to try to get ready really necessary stuff, so...

It would be very helpful both to me and to y'all if you would just buy some Library updates at first opportunity.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Which is just silly, as it is those details that can make big differences in the roleplaying, such as taking into consideration what sorts of things a new colony may be desperate to have and be willing to pay as much as they can afford (or owe some favors) to get.

Generic loads from "A-A Ri Cr7000" just don't cut it for that purpose.
How about using the CT trade rules instead? Or, better yet, the ones from Interstellar Wars that is the CT rules with some of the problems fixed.

Hans
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Why the spots that don't match a multiple of years? I would treat the maintenance/repair costs as a discrete unit (heh - I know, it's not *my* money!) for each year, not allowing them to be chopped into smaller units. (That's how it works with my car - I don't get to spend $30 every week to keep it in tip-top shape, I have to wait for the sensor/motor/belt/doohickey/thingamajig to actually break, then replace the thing.)
I am glad you asked.
Most of the stuff in maintaining a stateroom is pretty non-life threatening, so I started with the assumption that old management neglected it for two full cycles. But life support is something that you probably don't want to ignore until it stops working. So I allowed for 10% of the maintenance on the crew staterooms to have been done (190% behind schedule) just to keep everyone alive, and 20% of the maintenance on the passenger staterooms (180% behind schedule). Who cares if the crew refresher needs to have the handle jiggled after you use it, but you don't want the passengers complaining to the starport authorities that the shower knob comes off in your hand when you try to turn it.
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:16 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
I am trying to find this post to put your suggestions in context; went back several days on the IC thread trying to see what Sabredog had to say about the ship's condition. Could you give me a pointer to the post you are talking about, please?

Now I will look at your PDF and see if it helps me understand what y'all are discussing here, bc so far it is going right over my head.
I was unclear.
The ship's condition that I referred to is the last page of the ship PDF that you posted.
The captain (Sabredog) just asked about making repairs without spending too much.
Closed Thread