Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Sorry if I came off a pedant. It's SB's game, but I wanted to weigh in on this and try to head off any problems with accuracy and realism vs. reasonable and playable simulation.

Most of you guys contribute all the vector maths and physics of mass/weight/velocity and all, complete with formulas, proofs, and diagrams and I can barely hang on for the ride. At least when it comes to the hows and whys of application of penetrative trauma and prevention of the same it is something that has been my stock in trade for most of my life and I can finally contribute to that sort of discussion.

If I came off a high handed jerk you can give Hampton a towel party one night.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 10th, 2013, 06:27 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
Maybe at lower TL's(7 or so), a reduction in DEX and END? Think about the improvement from TL6 to TL7, and extrapolating to TL8 and 9, maybe there is none.
Actually, I would argue both for and against it anyway.

For it: yes, that would be realistic, again with the caveat that it would be for the untrained person, or someone who didn't at least have Skill-0, which could show they had maybe attended a few courses and understood the theory so they adjusted their combat techniques to compensate - just enough to eliminate the worst problems.

Maybe a DM of -1 for weapon use while wearing it and reduce the number of full strength blows by half? That would accurately show the fatiguing effect and how is can get in the way of all kinds of weapons use - at least till you learn how to adapt. And today's armor is leaps and bounds from what it was just 5 years ago so the larger TL improvements would be apt.

Against it: it is more detail and number crunching in a game milieu where people wear as a matter of course weapons of all kinds and seem expect using them and armor at least semi-routinely in the course of adventuring. Now we have to keep track of the TL of armor...what about weapons? A TL-13 Guass Rifle vs. TL-12...where does it end? My head swims.

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
It's SB's game, but I wanted to weigh in on this and try to head off any problems with accuracy and realism vs. reasonable and playable simulation.
I think SBRD and the board are richer for your experience. Thank you.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:29 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Sorry if I came off a pedant. It's SB's game, but
...but on certain subjects (like body armor) you have much more knowledge and experience than any of us. Thank you for the valuable information.

Now we can decide how much to simplify (or not) for the game... but it is always better to make such decision w adequate information rather than PIOTA guesswork.

EDIT: and BTW I am now home from the doctor's office and in need of some distraction, so if any of y'all are online tonight, let's get this party started and get ready to rock n roll!

EDIT 2: Carp, I forgot to scan map at ofc today to post for y'all for tactical decisions on posting security, etc. Will sketch and try taking photo w my phone - or I may actually have correct cord to take photo w camera, get it into computer, and upload.

BTW, I was thinking sympathetically of anybody taking up a sniping position is hot sun in this climate (I don't know if I have been emphasizing it enough, but it is plenty hot in Devonia City), but then I thought about the vaccsuit that Henry put on for effect as Cloth armor, and just realized that is he wear's helmet also he can get cooling effect of suit's heat-pump. Would that require PLSS also? I don't think so, it could still use outside air for oxygen.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; September 10th, 2013 at 07:41 PM..
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:18 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Hmmmm, I am not sure how much of the mechanics of the suit is in the PLSS. (Where is the PLSS from, btw? I can't find it in the TSE, or the LBBs - they seem to imply the vacc suit is complete*. I seem to recall it from 2300.) But, I wouldn't say you have to have the helmet down to get the benefit of cooling (maybe full effect).

* LBB3, pg 17: "Includes oxygen tanks, short range communicators, and other required equipment."
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Hmmmm, I am not sure how much of the mechanics of the suit is in the PLSS. (Where is the PLSS from, btw? I can't find it in the TSE, or the LBBs - they seem to imply the vacc suit is complete*. I seem to recall it from 2300.) But, I wouldn't say you have to have the helmet down to get the benefit of cooling (maybe full effect).

* LBB3, pg 17: "Includes oxygen tanks, short range communicators, and other required equipment."
JTAS had an issue that expanded on vacc suits extensively. PLSS rules and types were in that article along with descriptions of a "standard" vacc suit and all the other kinds. I'll check my stack.

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:06 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

JTAS #9 has the vacc suit article. It's one of my favorites since it really has good detailed info useful for the game in there and not just a lot of chrome.

It has a good section of the standard vacc suit form book 3. How it is armored as Cloth, has a PLSS B, and # of umbilicals, etc. Undersuits and how things fit and come on/off is there too.

LOTS of good stuff in there.

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Ah, *that* is where it is. OK. Thanks.
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post

PLSS is introduced into rules in MegaTraveller, but first introduced into the Traveller canon in JTAS 9, page 24.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:00 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Sorry, guys, have not been able to make a useable scan of this map at home, will need to go to ofc tomorrow.

I can't stay up much later tonight, another early doc apt tomorrow.

Do y'all want to go ahead and get landed and start loading freight, or wait until you have a tactical map so you can plan security?

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Closed Thread