Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChase View Post
Also, keep in mind if Doc has been on for 4 months, though not super talented at mechanical and electrical (medical equipment) and robotic he could have been working on the sickbay and some of the robots during the hours of Jump.

As for profits (SpaceBadger) do not forget that we could have sold a few of what Doc brought aboard with him if we are in need of some cash.
I figured that these details will work themselves out in the "Hiring Doc" thread and I will update the sickbay based on the other thread.
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
How about using the CT trade rules instead? Or, better yet, the ones from Interstellar Wars that is the CT rules with some of the problems fixed.
Thanks for the suggestion, Hans! I always forget that I even have IW, bc I bought it on PDF and therefore it is not on the shelf w all my GT stuff.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; August 14th, 2013 at 04:53 PM..
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
I was unclear.
The ship's condition that I referred to is the last page of the ship PDF that you posted.
The captain (Sabredog) just asked about making repairs without spending too much.
Ah, Ok, got it! Thank you!

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
That seems reasonable, as long as we are careful not to leave anything out.
Good luck with that.
I couldn't even get a design sheet for the ship and had to start with a 'best guess' on some items.

Quote:
This part in the PDF I don't really follow. For example, why is the Bridge maintenance considered up-to-date? And other various parts, some have different amounts showing for maintenance overdue compared to other identical parts (staterooms, for example). Where do these come from?
I restricted "up to date" for the parts of the ship that might cause a misjump (PP, JD and Bridge) plus the turrets since your description specifically stated that the former captain invested in the weapons.

After that, anything potentially life threatening got some maintenance.

Quote:
This all seems pretty reasonable, and I applaud extrapolating from the rules to figure out things that aren't covered by the rules. However, I think that part of the reason that annual maintenance is supposed to be done at an A or B port (as opposed to just continual stuff by the crew) is that there are some systems aboard ship that might need some tools or equipment not normally carried - say a "jump tuner" for the J drives or something.
Basic auto maintenance requires very few specialized tools that you would not need anyway to make a battle-damage repair in the field (which is allowed under the combat rules and double important in an era like the Long Night.)

Quote:
I like your idea for saving money and getting the ship caught up on some areas previously neglected, but I think we need to figure in some parts that really need to be done in port, for whatever reasons we come up with, or else we are short-circuiting part of the rules that are intended to make it necessary to have contact w major ports (which can be a problem for pirates or criminals on the lam as their ship deteriorates, until they find a friendly port). (Not to mention the metagame reason for some of this, to add another expense to the ship so the crew doesn't just fly around making money and never spending any except on better gear and bigger guns. )

And on that ground alone I really like it, so I say go ahead and fix stuff, but just don't assume you can fix everything this way, and later we will try to work out what parts or what %age need to be actually done in A or B port.
Two other thoughts:
1. Without the high trade of the classic era, TL 11 parts will probably need to be purchased on a TL 11 world ... which are somewhat uncommon to begin with.

2. Those times for crew maintenance probably require shutting down lots of systems while the work is going on and means that the crew is not doing other duties. So those repair times are down time for the whole ship and need to be done when the ship is at a starport (to live off the outside life support, for example).

Quote:
EDIT: I forgot to mention, this is one area where Hard Times had some very useful stuff on buying used or junked equipment and getting value out of it for replacement parts for stuff that you have that needs fixing.
I look forward to reading it.

Ultimately, you - the Ref - control availability of parts, which is the long pole on the repair of the ship. This ship is TL 10 or TL 11 for most of the systems, so there may not be that many sources for the parts that we need and finding a critical part could be an adventure in itself.
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
So I allowed for 10% of the maintenance on the crew staterooms to have been done (190% behind schedule) just to keep everyone alive, and 20% of the maintenance on the passenger staterooms (180% behind schedule). Who cares if the crew refresher needs to have the handle jiggled after you use it, but you don't want the passengers complaining to the starport authorities that the shower knob comes off in your hand when you try to turn it.
Well done, then. I think it's a great tool. You have it in a spreadsheet so we can update it with new info and such?
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:47 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Good luck with that.
I couldn't even get a design sheet for the ship and had to start with a 'best guess' on some items.
I thought Sabredog posted something after someone asked about it?

Quote:
Basic auto maintenance requires very few specialized tools that you would not need anyway to make a battle-damage repair in the field (which is allowed under the combat rules and double important in an era like the Long Night.
That was true when I worked on my old truck in the 70s and 80s, but modern cars have those computer chips that needs expensive diagnostic equipment that only dealer-garages usually have.

Plus starships are bigger. I figure there may be things that go wrong w drives that require physically pulling the whole drive out of the ship to work on - def not shade-tree work, but requiring a port facility w the big machinery. Or that "jump tuner" that I just made up as analog to the garage equipment for reading chips in modern cars.

Quote:
Ultimately, you - the Ref - control availability of parts, which is the long pole on the repair of the ship. This ship is TL 10 or TL 11 for most of the systems, so there may not be that many sources for the parts that we need and finding a critical part could be an adventure in itself.
Yeah, I know, I just like some guidelines rather than making it all up from scratch. If I have guidelines for most situations, then I can choose when to depart from the guidelines, which is different from just doing it all out of my head. (BTW, this ship was constructed at TL 10, so assume TL 10 systems unless something is expressly replaced at different TL.)

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
EDIT: I forgot to mention, this is one area where Hard Times had some very useful stuff on buying used or junked equipment and getting value out of it for replacement parts for stuff that you have that needs fixing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard
I look forward to reading it.
Hmm. Yes, that could be helpful to make sure we are all on the same page, but I don't want to run afoul of forum rules on posting stuff from published materials... I'll see if I can cobble up a little summary that should not violate the forum's IP rules.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:04 PM

Visit atpollard's Blog

Quote:
Hmm. Yes, that could be helpful to make sure we are all on the same page, but I don't want to run afoul of forum rules on posting stuff from published materials... I'll see if I can cobble up a little summary that should not violate the forum's IP rules.
I have the MT CD.
I just focused on Pre-Grav spacecraft when I read Hard Times.
So don't post anything just for my sake.

For the record: up to about 1 page is allowed to be posted under the FFE 'fair use' policy ... just no charging for it or attempting to post the whole book 'one page at a time'. (I had to ask about that at one time and that was the official FFE party line.)
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:10 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Suggestion: when you get to Devonia (or at least within talking distance), maybe y'all could buy some updated Library Data on the region?

I figure the Library Data you'd have aboard from Daibei sector shows all except for a few known worlds in the Deep (the ones the Daibei merchants trade at) as "Uninhabited" with only the 1000-year-old RoM survey data. (Imperial Realm military intelligence probably has more up-to-date info on suspected Reaver worlds, but that might not get into public Library Data.)

Whereas folks who actually live in the Deep and trade more often with interior systems would have more up-to-date info.

I thought of making two sets of Library Data to reflect this, but I am already working overtime to try to get ready really necessary stuff, so...

It would be very helpful both to me and to y'all if you would just buy some Library updates at first opportunity.
I now have UWPs and can easily make maps for several more subsectors around the one that you are in; however this is pretty much all data that you would need to buy locally, would not have from prior work area in central Daibei.

If you want this info, maybe buy a sector Libray Data pkg by laser-comm to give you time to study it on your way in-system to Devonia.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:59 PM

Visit atpollard's Blog

Quote:
(BTW, this ship was constructed at TL 10, so assume TL 10 systems unless something is expressly replaced at different TL.)
The Model 4 computer and Jump 2 capability are both TL 11 per LBB2.
Almost everything else is TL 10 from your description of the ship.

That's where I came up with the TL 10/11 rating for the ship.
Closed Thread