Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old March 16th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
Default Sell me on Foreven

Foreven is the one sector of the Official Traveller Universe (OTU) which is completely available to third parties to modify as they see fit and even legally publish commercial supplements for this sector. However, I never found it to be very interesting or flavorful in comparison to the old Outer Rim Void, the Marches or the Dark Nebula. I'd like to hear good things about this sector; what makes it fun for play in general and sandbox play in particular? What makes it flavorful? And how much is it of an actual frontier?

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Foreven is what you make it.

No, really, that's everything I could possibly type, but summarized.

Funnily enough, that's exactly the same summation I would give to the rest of Charted Space, including the Spinward Marches.
Tools Link
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

Okay, maybe I was wrong with the above post. There are three things to say about Foreven that is more or less fact-based. No, four. Okay, five.

(1) It's next to the Spinward Marches. So the Marches can be used as a jumping-off point into Foreven, whether it's cosmopolitan or wilderness.

(2) Part of it is in the Zhodani Consulate. The implications of (1) and (2) together make Foreven potentially problematic. People here have argued about THAT. There are scars.

(3) The fun-and-interesting Far Frontiers sector is spinward to Foreven.

(4) A classic Traveller adventure (Broadsword) mentions a squadron of ten Broadsword-class mercenary cruisers sent through Foreven, presumably to Far Frontiers, by the Sword Worlders (I think). There is an implication that Foreven is perhaps not as civilized as the Marches. The other implication is that the Sword Worlders have an iron in the fire that we otherwise don't know about. And that they're not averse to taking long trips (e.g. vikings).

(5) It appears that there are some places where Jump-2 won't cut it. 3 parsecs' worth of fuel seem to be the safe amount for jumping around. And if your ship is Jump-1, you'll not only need 3 parsecs of fuel, you might also need more than 1 month of power plant fuel. This may discourage trade.

Though that does not pin down Foreven, there is an implication that Foreven may not be as settled or civilized as the Spinward Marches: ten armed 800t Jump-3 cruisers may cross its span, apparently profitably. Can a single far trader survive?
Tools Link
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+

Thanks for the lengthy reply!

How much of the "fun" OTU flavor exists in Foreven? Can you transplant most CT adventures there, for example?

Also, are the various polities which show up in Traveller-Map and other sites as existing in Foreven canonical? I mean other than the Imperium and the Consulate...

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golan2072 View Post
Thanks for the lengthy reply!
You're welcome, Omer (I think that's who you are).

Quote:
How much of the "fun" OTU flavor exists in Foreven? Can you transplant most CT adventures there, for example?
Of course, Chamax Plague and Horde were in Foreven sector!

For the rest: that's an interesting question, one which I've never thought about. On consideration, I think the non-trade-based adventures could easily be transplanted there. In particular, Shadows, ANNIC NOVA, Research Base Gamma, Leviathan, Broadsword, Expedition to Zhodane. Safari Ship would require a Jump-3 ship, but is otherwise unchanged.

Twilight's Peak could have its final destination deep inside Foreven, but with the bulk of the adventure is in a civilized main, in the Spinward Marches or perhaps in Reidain subsector.

I doubt The Traveller Adventure could be ported to Foreven. Assuming trade is crippled in Foreven, that is.

Quote:
Also, are the various polities which show up in Traveller-Map and other sites as existing in Foreven canonical? I mean other than the Imperium and the Consulate...
Mongoose and FFE both publish the Foreven PDF that shows the "canonical" map, mostly just showing system presence and allegiance, but there are five worlds named and with UWPs. The Consulate claims almost half of the sector (my personal bent would be to make them only nominally Consulate). And there are four corporations mentioned -- all external.

http://www.farfuture.net/FFEForevenS...eserve2008.pdf
Tools Link
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Dagrill Citizen

Quote:
Foreven is the one sector of the Official Traveller Universe (OTU) which is completely available to third parties to modify as they see fit and even legally publish commercial supplements for this sector. However, I never found it to be very interesting or flavorful in comparison to the old Outer Rim Void, the Marches or the Dark Nebula. I'd like to hear good things about this sector; what makes it fun for play in general and sandbox play in particular? What makes it flavorful? And how much is it of an actual frontier?
Hi,

can I suggest you take a look at some of the stuff from DSL Ironworks on the Foreven sector (sub-sector P)?

Kind Regards

David
Marquis SPIN 2420 Skull C4237C7-9
Marquis DENE 0214 Musayid E5448AE-5
Viscount Mount CORR 1005 Mount A675887-8
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Visit Selandia's Blog
Selandia Citizen+Selandia Citizen+

The lack of J-1 main is telling against your casual free trader. But the presence of multiple J-1 clusters make it quite nice for "Pocket Empire" type of campaign with multiple small polities that may have their own rules, agenda, conflicts. This give multiple plots for a J2 trader/courrier/smuggler.

J-3 (with the inherent high cost of the ship) is needed only if you insist on visiting some world, although it will allow profitable short cuts; one J3 instead of 3 to 7 J-2 should justifiy some trade or charter opportunities .

have fun

Selandia
TAS, Bragg, Gush 1021,
Nothing is perfect, unless I fix it
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Foreven is the one sector of the Official Traveller Universe (OTU) which is completely available to third parties to modify as they see fit and even legally publish commercial supplements for this sector.
Which means that effectively there is no OTU Foreven. Just a small and VERY limited handful of facts.

Quote:
However, I never found it to be very interesting or flavorful in comparison to the old Outer Rim Void, the Marches or the Dark Nebula. I'd like to hear good things about this sector; what makes it fun for play in general and sandbox play in particular? What makes it flavorful? And how much is it of an actual frontier?
Well, the MTU Foreven gets a lot of its flavor from the internal tensions of the Weltenbund, traditionally neutral-on-the-Imperium's-side but lately having had several major worlds (chief among them Avalar) 'seduced' by the Zhodani.

It's also the location of Lebensraum, a huge, metal-poor world that is an expy of Jack Vance's Big Planet.

Different Forevens will derive their flavors from different things. None of them will be the OTU Foreven. It's just not possible that they can be.

Hans
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selandia View Post
The lack of J-1 main is telling against your casual free trader. But the presence of multiple J-1 clusters make it quite nice for "Pocket Empire" type of campaign with multiple small polities that may have their own rules, agenda, conflicts. This give multiple plots for a J2 trader/courrier/smuggler.
Casual traders would mostly be jump-2 anyway. Even on J-1 mains. Any low-population world (with the dearth of trade that would logically result from the low population) on the main would be almost as big a hindrance for J1 ships as empty hexes (almost, not quite; the ability to get fuel does make it a bit better than empty space).

Quote:
J-3 (with the inherent high cost of the ship) is needed only if you insist on visiting some world, although it will allow profitable short cuts; one J3 instead of 3 to 7 J-2 should justifiy some trade or charter opportunities .
J3 would be employed on many regular runs, since it's often the cheapest way to cross the distance between two systems (along with J2 -- it will depend on the astrography (sometimes J4 will actually be cheapest)).

Hans
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Frankymole Citizen+Frankymole Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selandia View Post
The lack of J-1 main is telling against your casual free trader.
I've always wondered why there aren't higher-jump number "ferries" able to load a few ~200 dTon ships and carry them to another main. Presumably if there are some small clumps of worlds with J-1 routes between them but inadequate shipyards, they'd have to bring in ships for the local milk-runs anyway?