View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2021, 11:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
I guess maybe this was discussed higher up and I missed it, but this doesn't really say what this is about. Neglect of duty, disobeying an order.

What were the circumstances here?
My apologies. He was courtmartialed for surrendering the Pensacola Navy Yard to agents from the State of Florida in January of 1861 when it was demanded of him, without doing anything to protect or dispose of U.S. government property. His major problem was the U.S. Army unit stationed to protect the base, a total of less than 50 men, did precisely what Major Anderson did at Charleston and move to a fort that was protecting the harbor, Fort Pickens. Unlike Fort Sumter, Fort Pickens could be supplied readily from the Gulf of Mexico, and was held for the Union throughout the war. He failed to send the small Marine detachment to assist the Army, as he stated that he would, and also took on steps to move or destroy the 22,000 pounds of black powder stored at the base. The Army unit moved their black powder, without any real assistance from the Navy, and destroyed what they did not take. There was sufficient warning of the takeover that the Army unit took the steps that they could to protect government property, while Captain Armstrong to no steps to protect the Navy property. He allowed to soon-to-be Confederates to intimidate him quite badly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.