View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2021, 11:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

An interesting view of reporters from an official dispatch from the officer in temporary command of the Yazoo River Flotilla to Admiral David D. Porter, Commander of the Mississippi Squadron while he was operating off of the Red River of Texas in May of 1863, during General Grant's operations against Vicksburg, Mississippi.

Quote:
Report of Lieutenant-Commander Breese, V. S. Navy, regarding
general matters.
Black Hawk, May 6, 1863. (The "Black Hawk" was normally the flagship of Admiral Porter, but he transferred his flag to the ironclad "Benton" to better conduct the operations against Confederate installations on the Red River.)
. . . . . . . .
I am happy to say that three newspaper reporters went down in the army tug, and were either killed or taken prisoners. They won't think it such good fun now.
K. R. Breese,
Lieutenant-Commander.
[Acting Rear-Admiral D. D. Porter.]
The Army tug referred to was blown up while attempting to pass the batteries of Vicksburg. Admiral Porter did not exactly like reporters.

Edit Note: I forgot to give the cite. The quote comes from:
OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE UNION AND CONFEDERATE NAVIES IN THE WAR OF THE REBELLION, SERIES 1—VOLUME 24. NAVAL FORCES ON THE WESTERN WATERS, From January 1 to May 17, 1863, page 655
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.

Last edited by Timerover51; April 7th, 2021 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Adding Cite