Thread: So, uh...
View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2016, 10:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

Hello Spencer,

My "balls" comment was directed directly to flykiller, who has a habit of making preposterous claims, and then when asked to explain them either walks away (typing "...shrug..." with not other comment, or changing the subject of the conversation, as he did in the situation above.)

You are taking the time to explain your points. That's called a conversation. And i think that's awesome.

Also, I don't think you made any claims the kids have no imagination.

Also, I don't care how many posts you have.

As for you points, they seem sound, but we have no data to back it up. There's always been this great white whale of "getting more people into the hobby." But the fact is, its a specula little hobby, and the number of people who might be into it is limited. That said, from all the accounts I'm hearing. D&D 5e is doing better than all the other editions put together. It has no more bells and whistles than previous editions. In fact (perhaps significantly) fewer.

As far as Traveller goes I'm not sure which edition of Traveller we're talking about. I use Classic Traveller -- and by Classic, I mean Basic Traveller -- the first three Little Black Books. And by that I mean, original Traveller, with no concerns for the OTU or getting it "right" but having my own material, full of improvisation and fun as my Players explore many worlds and make they fortune. Which is what Traveller was once.

Combat can be a bear, but I've made some tools to speed this up significantly. Other than that, alien races are just a string of numbers like any other PC. Depth of culture is as deep as I need it to be for sessions of adventure fiction in the far future.

Original Traveller is an amazing toolkit in the spirit of the earliest days of the RPG hobby: flexible, easy to adjudicate in the spirit of "Rulings, Not Rules," and a breeze to create content on the fly if needed. Your description of character creation, for example, doesn't match my experience with character creation in Classic Traveller.

Now, if a game system is so complicated that apps needed (or at least make the process bearable) than I suppose apps should be used. I can only ask at that point, "Why is the game so complicated? What is being gained from it?"

The fact is the people who like to sit around and puzzle solve problems with their friends in fictional environments might like things simple enough that they can handle the character creation and conflicts at the table using only paper, pencils, and dice. Once it gets more complicated than that it might be becoming something else.

I can't support this point except with an anecdote:

My friends at Harebrained Schemes made an awesome miniatures game called Golem Arcana. It's like Battletech, but with magical creatures. The miniatures are fun, the rules are fun. And there's an app you put on a tablet that lets the game handle all the calculations of firing, movement, and results. It saves a lot of time.

It didn't do very well.

Now, there are lots of reasons why it might not have done very well. But one of them might be that the people who like miniatures games don't want the game to do all that work. I honestly have no idea. But I think there's something to be said for digging into the fun people have and reasons why they are fun -- and that some things that seem like drudgery from the outside often are fun for the people in the middle of it.

I would argue that this whole issues has nothing to do with the age of the consumers. Again, 5e is doing gangbusters right now. And a lot of that will be the younger market. If an RPG is so complicated it needs an app, I don't care whether it came out in the '70s or today, it'll have a tough road. That's an issue for anyone of any age.

But the main point I wanted to make was that my post was specifically addressed to flykiller. Not you.