Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   imperial scout rescue service (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40181)

flykiller July 6th, 2019 07:35 PM

imperial scout rescue service

(in honor of the recent quakes) sounds like a good basis for a pbp game here, anyone interested?

vegas July 6th, 2019 11:23 PM

I'll play any game you run if you'll have me.

flykiller July 6th, 2019 11:41 PM

any game? what would you like?

kilemall July 7th, 2019 01:31 AM

Here'a thought- do earthquakes affect grav vehicles?

mike wightman July 7th, 2019 04:38 AM

My take on it is that earthquakes are shifting around huge bits of rock, this will have an affect of the local gravitic field strength - the exact effects on the air/raft would depend on how close it is to the epicentre and how close the epicentre is to the surface.

kilemall July 7th, 2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 603814)
My take on it is that earthquakes are shifting around huge bits of rock, this will have an affect of the local gravitic field strength - the exact effects on the air/raft would depend on how close it is to the epicentre and how close the epicentre is to the surface.

Sounds reasonable.

Probably shouldn't be much more then a blip- unless you are traveling fast.

So there's a finale scene for you- grav chase except right through an earthquake and high speed throws them off, wild bouncing etc.

Shadow Shack July 7th, 2019 12:12 PM

Speed bumps for air/rafts. :cool:

Count me in for a PbP game, I'm only fluent in CT though.

flykiller July 7th, 2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

only fluent in ct
not a problem.

Quote:

count me in for a pbp game
what would interest you?

Shadow Shack July 7th, 2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 603840)
what would interest you?

Anything really --- ship based adventure (self-owned, hired on as crew, work for passage etc), ground based, nomadic characters bartering passage, pirates/criminals/rebels/bad guys...I'm okay with any of that.

vegas July 8th, 2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 603809)
any game? what would you like?

Yeah, any game. Merchants or Mercs. Horror or Honor Nobles. Mystery or Mayhem. Scouts or Senechals. I've quickly run out or alliteration, but you get the idea.

flykiller July 8th, 2019 11:26 PM

very well, Shadow Shack and vegas up. I'll start a thread for Imperial Scout Rescue Service - ISRS (icers).

(continuously updated character sheet)

team lead (SpaceBadger)
Ank Buchannon
7BAB96, age 40
vacc suit / 0G 2*(hazard suit +1)
pilot 0
engineering 2*
mechanics 2
damage control 2*
survival 1
medical 1
wilderness recon 1
combatives 1
sidearm 0

medic (ManofGray)
Jaxson
computer 1
vehicle 1
medical 3*
sidearm 1

computer tech (vegas)
Shigiikarishi Ishkiigegakag
57AC88, age 27
computer 2*
electronics 2*
robotics 0
medical 1
forgery 1

pilot (Shadow Shack)
Nyco Layne (mH)
6A9687 age: 32
pilot 2*(A)
navigation-1
medical 1
mechanical-1
shotgun-2

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...ue_gig_01a.gif

atpollard July 9th, 2019 12:28 AM

Good opening “In Character” ... thumbs up.

vegas July 9th, 2019 09:32 AM

What does "vs0G 2*(hzrd+1)" mean?

I'll take the hacker, unless Shadow Shack doesn't want the team lead.
I'd give the hacker Electronics 2* and Forgery 1

flykiller July 9th, 2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

what does
sorry, get so used to my own notation that I don't see it anymore. re-written.

vacc suit / 0G skill (I combine the two, can't see any reason to keep them separate). "*" means you've been formally and professionally instructed and trained in the skill, expressed as a game mechanic by the possibility of re-rolling a failed task check. "(hazard suit +1)" means your training focused on that particular piece of equipment and get an extra +1 to task checks when using it, but get an extra -1 to task checks when using other systems (soft vacc suit, combat armor, and battledress).

flykiller July 9th, 2019 10:56 PM

and SpaceBadger, and for that matter anyone else, feel free to join in.

flykiller July 9th, 2019 11:02 PM

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...1_03_equus.gif

SpaceBadger July 10th, 2019 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Shack (Post 603871)
Anything really --- ship based adventure (self-owned, hired on as crew, work for passage etc), ground based, nomadic characters bartering passage, pirates/criminals/rebels/bad guys...I'm okay with any of that.

Well, not ANY game, I'm not so desperate that political intrigue on Capital sounds the least bit good. Nor am I down for Real Bad Guys; any pirates/criminals would need to be flavored in terms of rebellion in a good cause. Gray Areas, Firefly, small package trade in view of making ends meet for Free Traders: all good AFAIC. As would be traditional exploring, suppression of piracy, special missions for our old pal the Duke, sniffing out Patrons at the Starport Bar and Grille...

SpaceBadger July 10th, 2019 02:34 AM

Whoops, I obviously forgot to scroll over to to second page!

Equus sounds familiar... would I need to start a new PC from scratch, or just keep muddlin' on? (OTOH, my previous PC here didn't get off to the best start w the locals. Or his boss. Or anybody, really. )

SpaceBadger July 10th, 2019 02:45 AM

Has team lead been taken?

1st choice: team lead
2nd choice: computer tech
3rd choice: pilot
4th choice: medic

Why are there stars/asterisks by some of the listed tasks?

EDIT: Oh yeah, "I'm in!"

vegas July 10th, 2019 09:14 AM

I think it is FCFS around here so you get team lead, I'm the hacker.

Re: your * question:
Quote:

"*" means you've been formally and professionally instructed and trained in the skill, expressed as a game mechanic by the possibility of re-rolling a failed task check.

flykiller July 10th, 2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

has team lead been taken
nope, you can step in as that character if you want.

Quote:

equus sounds familiar
yep, from a previous game here.

ManOfGrey July 10th, 2019 04:38 PM

Thank you for the invitation.

If there's still room, I'd like to jump in too. I'd be happy to be the medic, if he's not already taken. :)

(PS... Classic Traveller rules and skills?)

vegas July 10th, 2019 07:44 PM

Hey Shadow Shack, you better hurry up and post. Only got the pilot left...

Oh, and welcome to the team MoGrey. A real Grey's Anatomy.

vegas July 10th, 2019 08:32 PM

@Fly, we have skills, do we have UPPs? Or is this an all 7s game. ;)

flykiller July 10th, 2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

I'd be happy to be the medic
then you got it. add two or three skills as you like ...

Quote:

do we have upp's
... and stats as you think approproate, I'll tell you if they're not, I don't want to spend too much time on it. I see "7" as the average for on-the-street, not average for selected in-service active duty. the pilot must have social standing of 7+.

and of course the first IC post is up.

vegas, with electronics 2* your character is on the standard navigator's career track, is that you intent or will he have other goals?

vegas July 11th, 2019 12:51 AM

I rolled 3d6 and kept the highest. This is what I got
57BC87

Small guy, but a long-distance runner. Super-brainiac, but too bored to excel in school.

Navigator's career track? Sure, that seems like a respectable track to be on. I chose Electronics to go with Computer because this guy is a hacker at heart, software and hardware, he wants to know how things work and what he can make them do. Probably builds robots as a hobby too. I'd give him Mech-0 if you let me.

SpaceBadger July 11th, 2019 10:22 AM

I'm almost ready to post in character as, umm, Lead Guy (name, he needs a name, hmm?), haven't quite got into his head yet. I'm thinking at least one term as regular exploration scout before he got into this rescue stuff, so looking at appropriate skills.

Question to flykiller as GM: What do you regard as the basic "Scout-y" skill for being able to size up terrain, recognize possibly dangerous critters, mentally map out the land? Would that be Recon, or is Recon more military scouting oriented? Maybe Survival? Looking at the T5 skill definitions it seems I'm thinking of Survival and Survey, but what is more important to me is what the GM thinks is the appropriate skill.

Also, what are your thoughts on 0-level skills? I don't intend to play him as a skill mokey or combat monster, but a little familiarity w shotgun and revolver seems appropriate, maybe at 0-level. (Following on tradition from your fiction writing of Scouts w multipurpose load revolvers; otherwise I guess a good ol' snubby would be better for same multipurpose use.)

One more GM Q: I've always envisioned all Scouts as at least proficient Pilots, if not all barnstormers of Han Solo quality. Would Pilot-0, be acceptable, or would that be an encroachment upon the toes of our designated Pilot? Again, not trying to be SuperGuy, just match up to my idea of the character, if ok.

Oh, yeah, does he need to be Human? Kinda thinking Vargr might make an appropriate Scout up there so close to the Extents.

flykiller July 11th, 2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

57BC87
for a "hacker" dock a point from some other stat and add it to social standing for ss 8. and keep in mind that social standing is a two-way street - privileges AND obligations, observing AND observed, hacking AND hacked.

Quote:

mech 0 if you let me
robotics 0.

Quote:

he needs a name
up to you.

Quote:

size up terrain, recognize dangerous critters
I recognize survival, wilderness recon, and urban recon. survival is keeping alive in a wilderness situation - keep warm, find water, get food. wilderness recon is safely traversing and tracking in wild undeveloped settings. urban recon is safely traversing and tracking in urban developed settings (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlIwHFGCrNY)

Quote:

0-level skills ... would pilot 0 be acceptable
add two skill levels to "lead guy" as you like. as for 0-level skills, I'll consider that later. as for pilot, yeah there's pilot 0 and pilot 1, but the imperium prefers pilot 2* and higher when operating in civilized areas. yeah there's lots of unauthorized pilots all over the place, but if you're landing on an imperial world and they realize you're not fully qualified there will be issues. I envisioned "lead guy" as an engineer, that's all.

Quote:

does he need to be human
imtu vargr are seen as pirates and are hated. let's do human.

vegas July 11th, 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

for a "hacker" dock a point from some other stat and add it to social standing for ss 8
done. 57AC88

SpaceBadger July 11th, 2019 05:46 PM

Scout Rescue Team Leader Eneri Buchannon (nickname Ank), Human (mixed), male, age 40
In 6th Term as Scout, currently assigned (by his request) to Imperial Scout Rescue Service
engineering 2*
mechanics 2
damage control 2*
medical 1
Survival-1
Wilderness Recon-1
Unarmed/Melee/Brawling-1
Gun Combat-0 (common Exploration Scout weapons)
Pilot-0
Ship's-Boat-0

As a boy growing up in Glisten Belt, Ank Buchannon had always dreamed of being an Exploration Scout. He wanted to see new places that had never been seen by Human eyes; walk new lands with open skies rather than rock, plastic, and steel compartments; and meet new people who weren't just like all the people he knew. He succeeded in entry to Scout Academy, but his tested aptitudes didn't get him into Contact School. Instead, he was determined to be a good prospect for Ship's Engineer. Ank shrugged and buckled down on his Maths. At least he would be a Scout, and anywhere that Contact and Survey people went, they needed Engineers and Pilots to get them there.

It was about 12 years ago as his ship was returning from a mission, heading back to base for annual maintenance, that Ank discovered his true calling in the Service. They were only 60 diameters out from the Highport when it disappeared in a ball of glowing energy and expanding gasses. The Ine Givar nuke had killed thousands instantly, but it had also maimed and mutilated thousands more, in over one hundred ships and boats and shuttles of varying size, now scattering in all directions out from the bomb-blast, most disabled and out of control in a pitching, rolling, yawing, tumbling mess. Ank's ship immediately joined the rescue efforts. When released back to duty, Ank requested extra training in Damage Control and Rescue, and a transfer to ISRS. He's been doing this work ever since.

EDIT: Oh yeah, stats. Given flykiller's statements re same, I'll just assign what seems right. He's more quick than strong, but flykiller noted, needs to be fit for the job. So probably works out mainly on that quickness and endurance for the hard work, relying on bots and tools to provide strength as needed (hardly gonna rip open broken hatches by hand, anyway). Very intelligent, and educated mostly on the job plus studying varied interests while in Jump. Doesn't care about Soc, never had any, but uniform and position earn some respect.

So how about this:
7BAB96 - Look ok?

SpaceBadger July 11th, 2019 06:24 PM

flykiller, do you recall a thread from several years ago (before my surgery), I believe it was atpollard and I and I don't recall who else, discussing shipboard mechanic/engineer's tools of what we imagined for TL12? I think my main contribution was details of what all the Goggles could be used for, and maybe some remotes, but Arthur had a LOT of really cool and practical ideas.

Just thinking some of that stuff is bound to come up in any shipboard rescue, and wanting to get your thoughts. I'll go now to find the thread and edit in a link from here.

Bingo! :D

TL 12 Ship's Engineer Tool Set

TL 12 Mechanical Tool Set

TL 12 Electronics Tool Set

TL 12 Metalworking Tool Set

ManOfGrey July 11th, 2019 07:06 PM

Stats and skills for medic character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 603942)

Medic ManofGray
Jaxson Regent
medical 3*

pick one and add 2-3 skill levels in whatever you like.

I don't know how important a UPP is. Taking the "three dice, and choosing the two highest" method, I rolled a 897AA7. If this is too much, or if I need to adjust anything, please let me know.

I was thinking about adding the following skills, Grav Vehicle-1, Computer-1, and Pistol-1.

Is this OK?

PS Jaxson was going to try to requisition a Grav Belt. If denied, would he have enough money to buy one?

flykiller July 11th, 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

look ok ... this ok
yes and yes.

Quote:

if this is too much
actually that's about spot on what I would consider typical for young active-duty personnel in a highly selective technical service.

Quote:

grav belt
never spent one second thinking about grav belts. tell me how they work and I'll say yes or no. and no, you can't afford one.

ManOfGrey July 11th, 2019 11:29 PM

Grav Belt

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604058)
...and no, you can't afford one.

Good point. I had forgotten they're 'kinda pricey.

From the MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia, p. 59:

Grav Belt: A standard-issue Tech Level 12 grav belt looks like a parachute harness with a "stiffener" that runs down the back and has a series of artificial gravity modules around the waist. The grav belt weighs about 10 kg, but once it is turned on, a neutral control setting eliminates this weight.

This configuration provides 300 kg of thrust for four hours between charges. The grav belt has a maximum speed in an atmosphere of 300 kph, a cruising speed of 225 kph, and a nap-of-earth speed of 40 kph.

TL Vol Weight Price
12 25 liters 10 kg* Cr 100,000 (4 hours per charge)
15 15 liters 10 kg* Cr 110,000 (8 hours per charge)

*When not activated

Obviously the purpose of his request is an attempt to avoid once again sustaining the life-threatening injury he is just now recovering from.

flykiller July 11th, 2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

grav belt
ok, I'll allow it (probably regret this), they're in your equipment lockers.

when SpaceBadger kicks in to the IC thread I'll light things off.

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604062)
ok, I'll allow it (probably regret this), they're in your equipment lockers.

WooHoo, grav belts! Never got to try those before! Good idea, Grey! (Or do you prefer Man? MOG? Or the whole thing? )

Do they work for EVA?

Quote:

when SpaceBadger kicks in to the IC thread I'll light things off.
Sorry, weird allergy attack bothering me since abt 1600, itchy hives all over, antihistamines not very effective. Maybe something I ate. Not good clear thinking, just passive reading for distraction from pain/itching. I'll go take a look and write something now. Where are we, anyway, sitting in base on Equus, waiting for call-out? Or will we do some kind of patrol, be "out there" where we might be needed?

What'd you think of the TL 12 tool sets? Reasonable?

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManOfGrey (Post 604061)
Obviously the purpose of his request is an attempt to avoid once again sustaining the life-threatening injury he is just now recovering from.

Y'know, I remember thinking when I read your PC bio that some grav belts would have been a big help there! ;)

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 02:55 AM

Just trying to take stock, figure out who's who. My memory ain't good, I need notes.

SpaceBadger - Eneri (Ank) Buchannon, team leader & engineer
vegas - Shigiikarishi Ishkiigegakag (Ishi) - hacker/comms/electronics whiz
ManOfGrey - Jaxson Regent - medic

So we don't have a Player for Pilot yet, or did I miss somebody? (Sorry if I did!)

EDIT: ShadowShack, are you the Pilot?

Shadow Shack July 12th, 2019 04:18 PM

Sorry, I've been working graveyard and forgot to check this board. Yeah, I'll be the stick jockey.

pilot Shadow Shack
Nyco Layne (mH)
6A9687 age:32 3˝ term scout
pilot 2*
medical 1
shotgun-1
mechanical-1
navigation-1

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...dex.php?n=2816

What are we doing for equipment & gear?

flykiller July 12th, 2019 06:32 PM

ok, Shadow Shack in and listed (on page 2 of this thread)

Quote:

Do they work for EVA?
nope, the reason they're so compact is because the system omits all kinds of things like auto control and auto-motivation. they'll work in a gravity well, and they're directed manually.

Quote:

tl 12 tool sets
first impression is they appear ok, pending further review. tell you what, your character is fairly experienced, just list here what you think should be in his tool kit. don't forget you'll have to carry it ....

flykiller July 12th, 2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Where are we, anyway, sitting in base on Equus, waiting for call-out?
yes, as per the IC thread Imperial Scout Rescue Service.

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604089)
ok, first impression is they appear ok, pending further review. tell you what, your character is fairly experienced, just list here what you think should be in his tool kit. don't forget you'll have to carry it ....

Will get right on that when pain/concentration permits; didn't sleep well, finally crashed from fatigue as sky was starting to get light, just woke up. Pay no mind, pain and meds impose some weird cycles, next i may be awake for 48 than crash for 24.

flykiller July 12th, 2019 10:36 PM

Shadow Shack please specify ammo (thought to be) available to Nyco.

flykiller July 12th, 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

some weird cycles
pbp allows some fairly lenient cycles, don't feel rushed.

vegas July 12th, 2019 11:12 PM

Ishi's Loadout

Shigiikarishi "Ishi" Ishkiigegakag
5'5" 135 lbs.
https://steemitimages.com/400x400/ht...-483771118.jpg
Ishi out of uniform

Weapons:
1) TL11 snub pistol
loaded: 6 tranq, 2 gas
reserve: 8 HEAP
tranq (does-controlled) effects 1.5m area
gas (non-persistent, tranq) effects 3m
2) pocket knife

NB: with gun-0 and blade-0, Ishi expects to be fixer not a fighter. The pocket knife is more tool than weapon.

Gear:
3) hazard suit w/ IR & instensifier googles
4) grav belt
5) robotic drone
6) electronics tool kit
7) computer spares kit
8) first aid kit
9) SR go bag
10) computer workpad, ruggedized
11) personal communicator
12) short range RF jammer

@fly - let me know what you think about this list.

Also, just to confirm, a "hazard suit" includes a vacc suit, right?

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 11:20 PM

Uniforms/Shipsuits

Some of my assumptions about our duty uniforms or shipsuits.

Shipsuit: close fitting garment, comfortable for daily wear, but also operates as skintight vacc suit..Minimal protection from radiation and micrometeoroids; if you're planning to go outside you wear a protective coverall over it, along w PLSS and helmet of choice. For emergency decompression, the shipsuit supplies a soft bubble helmet carried rolled in the collar, and about an hour of life support until you need to connect to PLSS or ship's LS system.

Being Scouts, there is some laxity as to what constitutes "uniform" for wear over the shipsuit. Some Scouts just wear the shipsuit alone. Most wear some variation of BDU coveralls, for the pockets if nothing else. Some, especially solo Explorers, tend to go a little wild in expressing their individuality.

Boots serve as both field and space boots, w magnetic grip when activated.

flykiller July 12th, 2019 11:29 PM

a hazard suit is a semi-armored vacc suit for use in industrial hazard zones and situations - fire, electrical transients, corrosive chemicals, physical impacts, confined spaces. it's not at all combat armor - it's physical profile is much smaller and a plasma bolt will rip it apart - but it's more robust than a simple ordinary vacc suit and correspondingly more expensive.

the typical uniform descriptions look ok. describe the drone, it won't be a high-end model.

SpaceBadger July 12th, 2019 11:30 PM

Forgot about the Hazard suits. Assume they go over shipsuit when getting Down n Dirty on the Job. What all do they do?

Vacc suit
Radiation/`chem protection
Hard torso?
Manipulators/ exoskeletal enhancement?
EVA propulsion
Maybe those grav belts are built in?

flykiller July 12th, 2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

What all do they do?
Vacc suit - yes
Radiation/`chem protection - the ususal, full A/B/UV, slight gamma, no neutron
Hard torso? - yes
Manipulators/ exoskeletal enhancement? - nope, they're low profile to fit in confined spaces
EVA propulsion - add-ons
Maybe those grav belts are built in? - nope, again they're low profile, grav-belts are add-ons

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604100)
the typical uniform descriptions look ok. describe the drone, it won't be a high-end model.

Umm, what drone?