Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Agent of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   SPOILER ALERT: Question - Robots can't survive Jump? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40945)

gregcaires March 10th, 2020 10:17 PM

SPOILER ALERT: Question - Robots can't survive Jump?

From a footnote on page 134:

"The robot plot was bound to fail; its conspirators did not know that their robot brains cannot survive jump, even protected by a shipís jump field."

Uh, what now? I've never read anything in Traveller that suggests robots cannot survive jump. Anyone know anything more about this? It is just these particular robots or any robot?

atpollard March 10th, 2020 11:12 PM

THAT is sure a game changer. :CoW:

aramis March 11th, 2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 610913)
THAT is sure a game changer. :CoW:

Some of us have LONG held that something requires the big processors...

IMTU, it's a requirement for vacuum tubes... I'd assume, however, that by TL16, something serviceable has come about.

GypsyComet March 11th, 2020 03:25 AM

If this is the Dathsuts chapter, those aren't Imperial robots.

Grav_Moped March 11th, 2020 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 610930)
Some of us have LONG held that something requires the big processors...

IMTU, it's a requirement for vacuum tubes... I'd assume, however, that by TL16, something serviceable has come about.

Vacuum tubes with fiber-optic backup? The mind reels.
As does the magnetic tape storage...

It could have been something specific to those particular Von Neumann machines' method of being self-aware. But it might also explain why starships need sophont crews rather than being automated. On the other hand, it doesn't explain Virus-controlled ships.

atpollard March 11th, 2020 08:16 AM

So the Robot that we purchased to help clean rooms doesn't function after the first jump?

The Robotic Miners need to be shipped STL?

"All robots are SYSTEM BOUND and non-FTL transportable" is something that probably should have been mentioned in all of the rules on ROBOTS throughout the various versions (and is NOT very Classic Sci-Fi Trope friendly).

mike wightman March 11th, 2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyComet (Post 610932)
If this is the Dathsuts chapter, those aren't Imperial robots.

It is indeed the Dathsuts chapter and the robots in question traverse the universe sublight - they may be Essaray constructs.

There is nothing to suggest that Imperial robot brains can not survive jump.

That said - if it is a new setting retcon that robot brains can not survive jump space then it does indeed have great consequence for the setting.

gregcaires March 11th, 2020 09:09 AM

Yes the STL self building robots. I donít recall of the text provides enough detail about how these robots are different that imperial robots, but seems a huge curveball casually thrown. Is anyone able to ask Mr. Miller for clarification?

bookwyrm March 11th, 2020 01:03 PM

personally, I think robots can do just fine in jump space, especially since I don't know of any rule in Traveller that reads otherwise. this does make me wonder if a robots brain is affected by viewing the illogic of jump space, like a persons mind is affected.

although I haven't read the book, and thus don't know the context, I would surmise that that footnote is misinformation, so that the plotters don't know what really happened to 'their' robots.

mike wightman March 11th, 2020 02:22 PM

AB101 survived jump travel just fine, so unless MWM is going to de-canonise all of that...