Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Rant; avoid Gator Games for buy backs. (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=22428)

Blue Ghost June 28th, 2010 04:35 PM

Rant; avoid Gator Games for buy backs.

So, I call the local gamestore, "Gator Games and Hobby" about selling back some stuff. And the guy on the phone tells me the following; "One to two dollars for soft covers. Two to three dollars for hard covers, depending on condition. We can't take really battered or old stuff."

So, I go there today with a stack of books, and the guy offers me something like $30 store credit.

Store credit.

S t o r e c r e d i t; for stuff I didn't even BUY there.

Dude was not very customer service friendly either. He had that tall near expressionless "Watch me do my Vulcan imitation" thing going on for him as he continued his reply; "I apologize if the person you spoke with did not make that clear for you." Stoic, no explanation, no "Come back tomorrow when the owners here, maybe she can cut you a deal..."

All while some sweaty (and smelly) teenaged geek asked me to move so he could thumb through the latest rack of Magic card games. Man, standing in that store made me sick. Big pictures of "elfs" with foot long ears, glowing eyes, and hugely serrated swords with spikey armor... it was enough to drive a man ape-spite (to coin a euphemism).

Look, I still like Traveller, but that place really creeped me out. I can't believe I wasted so much time, money, and energy these last five to seven years on this hobby. I dropped it in college, and came back in 2002 or thereabouts, and am sorry I ever did.

So, stacks of game books will get recycled come this Thursday.

aramis June 28th, 2010 06:07 PM

Rather than recycle, donate them to Value Village or equivalent... you can then write them off on your taxes as a charitable donation, and odds are someone will reuse them.

far-trader June 28th, 2010 06:22 PM

I've never seen much of a value given in trade-ins, on books or anything. Especially compared to the markup the store then applies to resell. I understand it though. The store is often taking something that won't move for a long time if ever, so it's a risk for them. It's not like they can return it to the distributor or publisher like they can with new titles. The best deals I've seen have been commission sales offers where the store takes your goods and puts the price YOU choose on it and takes a percentage when it sells, paying you the difference. There's more caveats involved but it's better all around imo. Though it's been years since I've seen anyone offer such a deal.

Those prices sound about right. I went to trade a few games a while back at a big name store and the clerk told me the same thing, but she kindly offered I try across the street at a small independent game store where I'd get much more for them (and where the used games are cheaper to buy too). So there are some good employees out there. Her employers may not agree if they knew since they lost business :)

Blue Ghost June 28th, 2010 07:06 PM

The thing is I've given that store a lot of business, and I was really trying to recycle the material I had purchased there for someone who really wanted it and could use it. And the books I was giving were near mint condition, and extremely-good. I'm a little miffed, to say the least.

far-trader June 28th, 2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Ghost (Post 350574)
I'm a little miffed, to say the least.

Understandably so. Customer service and such seems to have suffered considerably in the last several years. Everywhere. Less personal touch, less reward for frequent loyal customers. Maybe largely due to less customer loyalty and personal touch on our side. Many of us search the best deal online and the brick-and-mortar stores can't compete with that with the overhead they have to carry in stock, employees, and space. And the little independents can't compete with the buying power of the big name chains. Little wonder then when we find the little guys gone and the big guys cold and indifferent. I only wonder why we complain about it...

...and I wonder how bad it's gonna get before we realize what we've lost :(