Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

DaveChase September 1st, 2013 11:09 PM

Or some jobs require 6 months at a time before getting to leave or have time off.

So, a few places would have semi-temporary billeting and such, then at the end could fly (Jump) home for a few months.

Look at gold mining in Alaska/Canada for a real world example.

Or the Ice Truckers.

I could see where some of one world's population may do a 6 month transfer to another world for work, specially on a world where there is a smaller population.

SpaceBadger September 1st, 2013 11:17 PM

This conversation seems to have gotten lost.

This here is the OOC thread for SBRD campaign.

Over there is the Transient Populations thread. :D

DaveChase September 1st, 2013 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Instead of the Model 317 Advance base, I would like it to be this made up one (see image below) called the Model 321 Medical Base.

For 60KCr (10KCr extra for the medical equipment, only holds 3 (2 in beds, 1 on surgery table, no robots or smart gurneys)

then 25KCr for Medical scanner
10.5 KCr for pocket Medical scanner
3 KCr for mulittool (scanner)
1.5 KCr for Botanist program, Chemistry program, Geologist program (there is no price in the book so I assume 500 Cr each program)
Which means Doc spent 500 Cr more than earlier

See description below and where the items came from
(this takes the 50KCr for the former lab and wraps it into the Model 317 to make up the difference. No lab, no chemistry set, no manufacturing of drugs the easy way.)
Quote:

From MegaTraveller

Medical Scanner, Computer:
This larger, handheld version of the pocket med scanner (below) takes rapid readings just like its smaller cousin, and thus it greatly reduces the time spent on a medical diagnosis task. The larger scanner differs from the pocket version in that this handheld model includes a complete expert system diagnosis computer, which allows individuals with little or no medical skill to diagnose and treat illness and injury

TL Vol Weight Price
12 2 liters 1 kg Cr25,OOO

Medical Scanner, Pocket:
The pocket med scanner is an indispensable device in the satchel of any physician. Medical skill is not needed to operate the scanner, but the skill is necessary to properly interpret the readings. A doctor or nurse needs only to press against the patient’s chest with the small disk-shaped probe. In five to ten seconds, the scanner accurately determines body temperature, blood pressure, pulse rate, respiration rate, level of neural activity, and fluid balance.

This useful device greatly reduces the time needed to make a medical diagnosis task. The scanner probe can actually be used anywhere on the subject’s body, but no respiration rate is available apart from the chest site. Once the reading is made, pressing a small button on the device records the values in the scanner’s memory. These records can be called up later for review. Set points on the scanner can be keyed in, so if readings reach a certain level (either high or low), the scanner beeps to alert the attending physician. Small adhesive pads are used to attach the scanner temporarily to the chest for this purpose.

The med scanner is optimized for use on a given race, so using it on members of another alien race does not work. An individual skilled in electronics and medicine could, however, try to modify a particular device to work accurately for another species. (One exception to this rule does exist the same device can be used for humans and Vargr.)

Vacc suits at Tech Level 12 and above are designed with special contact points to allow a med scanner to be used without requiring removal of the suit.

TL Vol Weight Price
12 0.2 liters 1 kg Cr 10,500

From Traveller 4th Edition

Multiscanner
A multiscanner (typically shortened to "multi") is a specialized computer designed for interpretation and analyzation of environmental data. In its basic form, it is a rectangular box with a belt attachment and contoured hand grip. On its face is a 3-D screen and touchpad. One side of the device has up to four chip ports, and on the front there are four smaller data ports.

Typically, the user buys a set of programs and sensors appropriate to the tasks the wishes to perform. A geologist might buy a mass spectrometer and mineral analyzing database, while a botanist might have sensors for analyzing organic material, an anthropologist might have a language translator, and a meteorologist could have his multi linked to a portable weather station and sursats.

Multis can be programmed to run automatically to detect and alert the user if certain conditions are met, and are often used in this way by members of a survey team. This could include perimeter watch at night, alerts for radiation or atmospheric toxins, signals within a given part of the radio spectrum, and so on.

Many of the individual functions of a multi can be handled by cheaper and lighter special purpose tools, but most survey teams need a variety of functions, making a multi indispensable. A multi is a TL10 item, has a mass of about 0.8 kg, and costs Cr3000.

The price is high because the device can perform all the functions of a personal computer, but is smaller, more rugged and has more ability to handle non-digital data.

rancke September 2nd, 2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 451281)
This conversation seems to have gotten lost.

This here is the OOC thread for SBRD campaign.

Over there is the Transient Populations thread. :D

Fair enough. Reply moved to the thread linked to by Spacebadger.

Hans

SpaceBadger September 2nd, 2013 02:42 AM

Got another subsector all fixed up, mostly as a result of working through some of the history stuff. Gulf Subsector is two coreward of where y'all are now, and I'm not sure when you will ever get there, but it is where one character's homeworld is located, and it only has 12 systems (7 inhabited) so wasn't a big job to do, plus it was all tied in with some of the local history I was working on today.

Fritz_Brown September 2nd, 2013 08:24 AM

I love generating subsectors along a rift. Sooooo much easier than doing the ones with a giant J-1 main filling them. *sigh* Now I have to get back to work on that sector of MTU and try to get it all finalized.

atpollard September 2nd, 2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 451283)
Instead of the Model 317 Advance base, I would like it to be this made up one (see image below) called the Model 321 Medical Base.

For 60KCr (10KCr extra for the medical equipment, only holds 3 (2 in beds, 1 on surgery table, no robots or smart gurneys)

then 25KCr for Medical scanner
10.5 KCr for pocket Medical scanner
3 KCr for mulittool (scanner)
1.5 KCr for Botanist program, Chemistry program, Geologist program (there is no price in the book so I assume 500 Cr each program)
Which means Doc spent 500 Cr more than earlier

See description below and where the items came from
(this takes the 50KCr for the former lab and wraps it into the Model 317 to make up the difference. No lab, no chemistry set, no manufacturing of drugs the easy way.)

I have no authority to approve anything, but rather than let your excellent design pass without any comment, I decided to comment ...

... I really like it and think that it would be a great addition, both functionally and a potential plot generator. Well done.

rancke September 2nd, 2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 451283)

What's the scale of the deckplan? (I suggest adding some basic data, including the scale, to the deckplan).

25 squares at the standard scale (and the standard height) comes to 12˝ dT, which seems to me would be an awkward shape to carry in a cargo hold.

Hans

atpollard September 2nd, 2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 451327)
What's the scale of the deckplan? (I suggest adding some basic data, including the scale, to the deckplan).

25 squares at the standard scale (and the standard height) comes to 12˝ dT, which seems to me would be an awkward shape to carry in a cargo hold.

Hans

I think that it collapses to about half that size ... like the original 'shelter'.

DaveChase September 2nd, 2013 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 451327)

Hans

It is shown in the open position, just like the Model 317 base.

You want an example of how ugly a collapsible base looks like look at this one