Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

sabredog August 29th, 2013 05:27 PM

I'm behind that plan, but have some questions:

A) how do we "pick up" the drives to get them to the ship? They won't fit in the air/raft (which I'll be using along with Gayne/Donoma/Kalos) nor the launch.

B) How long will it actually take to swap them out while the metals are being loaded. We might have to leave in a hurry so time margins will be pretty tight. One bad roll and we're grounded and it could get dicey.

C) I'm hoping we can get the comms and guns taken care of before we go get the metals so we can leave as soon as the last chunk of ore is loaded. Just load and scoot. So maybe the swapping needs to be done while we are out chasing down the guns and comms - will you have enough time?

Ref? We need a ruling on the time for retrieving and swapping drives, please?

OK - now I'm outa here till 1700PST +/- ....time to go home.

atpollard August 29th, 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 450828)
I'm behind that plan, but have some questions:

A) how do we "pick up" the drives to get them to the ship? They won't fit in the air/raft (which I'll be using along with Gayne/Donoma/Kalos) nor the launch.

I figured that the ship would fly to the junkyard on the way to the mine.

I would also be ok if the drives get stored in the cargo hold and swapped at the next world (or in jump since you don't use a grav drive in J-space.

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 07:01 PM

Sorry guys, I was pretty active this morning and didn't eat anything and let my sugars get too low, been lying in bed kinda comatose for most of the afternoon it seems. Finally my lovely wife made me a sandwich and I'm awake again, although the mental processor seems to be running kinda slow still. :)

Just finished reading all the fun you guys have been having today, trying to figure out how to organize replies.

On the nice m-drive parts that Henry found, that was another lucky roll, I agree w ATPollard's suggestions that buying them and swapping them in, plus some other little bits of starport maintenance, should bring the m-drives up to snuff. On price, how about if the pair of drive parts cost Cr40k, then Mac gives you back Cr10k for your used ones for him to fix up? That works out the same as the Cr30k you suggested, and the ship fund should have sufficient money for it since the deal they worked w Nero doesn't require all of the ship's available money.

On the logistics of getting the m-drive parts, you might need to hire a grav lifter (there would be at least one at the starport for rent) - kinda like the old Flying Banana helicopter, I forget the real name, had two rotors and big space in the middle to hoist up and carry trucks or artillery pieces or whatever needed to be carried somewhere. Sorta like that but without the rotors bc it is a grav vehicle. Or as I think someone said, fly the ship over Mac's place and use your hoists to get them into the cargo bay.

For installing them, that is probably going to be a starport job just because of the size and mass of these things, you have to open up the sides of the ship to get the old ones out and the new ones in place, and need some heavy lifting equipment to handle both old and new parts. Plus while you are swapping them out you can't use the m-drives. So I don't think you can really do that in jump, w the jump bubble only open 1 meter out from the grid, IIRC.

I remember talking earlier w "Kalos" about him using a Broker roll to try to find y'all some lasers here on Devonia, and that I would make it pretty difficult I think it would take a pretty random chance for there to even be any available on this planet, much less finding them. He decided he was going to try talking to Donoma about getting some info from one of her starport contacts, which I told him would give enough bonus on his roll to give him a better than even chance, but I don't remember seeing any of that in the IC thread so maybe they haven't done it yet. (On the plus side, as long as y'all can make it to Nexus you'll be at a good port, as busy as any get here in the Deep during the Long Night, and be able to buy pretty much anything you have the money for.)

I don't remember, was there any other stuff you needed GM input on? I'll go read the IC thread again.

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 07:12 PM

Thinking some more abt those super-duper m-drive parts at Mac's, I think w the size of them and not being in any kind of framework or container they will take up more floor space in the cargo hold than just the volume of the parts themselves, since you can't really stack them up or set anything on top of them without damaging them. I think they'd take up a space about 3m wide and 4.5m long, even though only 1m tall. Hmm, you could shuffle things around some w your cargo hold hoisting and moving gear, get some containers of metals in place and neatly stacked to make a level surface w enough clearance overhead, then move the m-drive parts over and strap them down on top of the metal containers, that way they wouldn't waste as much floor space. So just figure they take up 1.5 tons space, strapped down on top of 1.5 tons of metals, for 3 tons volume combined.

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 450828)
I'm behind that plan, but have some questions:

A) how do we "pick up" the drives to get them to the ship? They won't fit in the air/raft (which I'll be using along with Gayne/Donoma/Kalos) nor the launch.

OK, I think I answered this one, either rent a big lifter or take the ship to Mac's place and hover while using the ship's hoist system. (I'm trusting in Max that the ship's lifts are fixed enough so you don't crash on top of Mac's house. ;) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 450828)
B) How long will it actually take to swap them out while the metals are being loaded. We might have to leave in a hurry so time margins will be pretty tight. One bad roll and we're grounded and it could get dicey.

I dunno exactly about man-hours, will have to think more on that, but these are two very large hunks of machinery that will be replacing two similarly sized pieces of your own m-drive. They are too big to fit through hatchways and iris valves, will need to actually remove some hull plates and expose the drive rooms, so if done in space will have drive rooms (or at least the m-drive rooms) open to vacuum.

Plus there is the issue that the m-drives will be totally shut down and useless during the swap.

I kinda think that w the size and mass of the pieces being swapped this sounds like a shipyard job, would just be more efficient that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 450828)
C) I'm hoping we can get the comms and guns taken care of before we go get the metals so we can leave as soon as the last chunk of ore is loaded. Just load and scoot. So maybe the swapping needs to be done while we are out chasing down the guns and comms - will you have enough time?

Comms and guns? Do you mean the stuff that Kalos found online? I think for the comms there are two issues, 1) having somebody that knows electronics check them out to make sure they are OK (or at least check a random sample, not every single unit), and 2) see if Kalos can talk the price down a bit more w Trader skill. So there needs to be contact w the seller, then go the place where they are stored (probably just starport storage, there is so much excesss that it is cheap to rent, so probably not much else in the way of storage anywhere else in the City), then check them out, then buy and load them.

The guns are a trickier issue - not sure if you have time to do much on them this trip, maybe if you get back to Devonia again after Nexus - what Kalos saw had him suspecting some tricky arms deal, but y'all need to do some detective work to figure out what is really going on if you want the leverage to get a good price on that stuff - not sure there is time for that if you want to load the metals and get out of Dodge.

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 07:58 PM

OK, I think I am caufght up on answering GM stuff from this afternoon - if I missed something, tell me - I hope my ramblings make sense.

I don't think it will be too big a surprise to y'all that sometime soon, either before, during, or after this big deal of loading up the metals and zooming off to space, there will be some hot-n-heavy action.

Any recommendations on the best way to handle that in this sort of game?

One of the great things about PbP is that it doesn't demand big scheduled blocks of time to play, or all players getting together in any way, you just kinda check in and respond when you have time.

But I think that could be kinda frustrating in any intense kind of action, waiting for replies and so forth.

Should we try to schedule some time when we can all be online and then just do it this way in forum w posts flying hot-n-heavy?

Or maybe some kind of chat thing - the problem there being that we would not have a text record of what was going on. Unless they still have some kind of text chats available - I was thinking voice, but something like Yahoo Messenger could do, if it still exists - haven't used any of those in years, not sure what is available anymore.

What do y'all think?

One good thing abt doing it here in forum would be ability to keep track and make sure everybody is getting their turn in and not getting ignored or having an action missed - I could see that happening w all eight of us typing away in a text chat, just stuff getting missed would be a problem.

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 450821)
"That would be a good loadout. Given that we don't have any antimissile defense other than Kalos' lightning reflexs and deadeye shooting before we reduced to just one antimissile-capable turret I'd be happier if we picked up an ECM program first. Still...lets pencil in your idea on our wishlist for when we get somewhere we can buy those things and have the cash to do it."

"In fact", Hampton scratches out some notes, "If we just had two beams in one triple turret and rplaced the third with another missile rack we'd have a good anti missile turret with a rack to shoot offensive and defensive missiles too. Two mixed turrets. Plus two triple pulse turrets for killing weapons. And another slot for later ."

Just think how awesome your offensive/defensive capabilities would be with that setup and TWO crew w Gunner-2, so they could each take on different targets (Ahem. Would Mr. LiNeNoiSe please report to the office? Paging Mr. LiNeNoiSe...)

sabredog August 29th, 2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 450871)
OK, I think I am caufght up on answering GM stuff from this afternoon - if I missed something, tell me - I hope my ramblings make sense.

I don't think it will be too big a surprise to y'all that sometime soon, either before, during, or after this big deal of loading up the metals and zooming off to space, there will be some hot-n-heavy action.

Any recommendations on the best way to handle that in this sort of game?

One of the great things about PbP is that it doesn't demand big scheduled blocks of time to play, or all players getting together in any way, you just kinda check in and respond when you have time.

But I think that could be kinda frustrating in any intense kind of action, waiting for replies and so forth.


Should we try to schedule some time when we can all be online and then just do it this way in forum w posts flying hot-n-heavy?

Or maybe some kind of chat thing - the problem there being that we would not have a text record of what was going on. Unless they still have some kind of text chats available - I was thinking voice, but something like Yahoo Messenger could do, if it still exists - haven't used any of those in years, not sure what is available anymore.

What do y'all think?

One good thing abt doing it here in forum would be ability to keep track and make sure everybody is getting their turn in and not getting ignored or having an action missed - I could see that happening w all eight of us typing away in a text chat, just stuff getting missed would be a problem.

I have a Teamspeak server we can all use if we want to go "live".

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 450875)
I have a Teamspeak server we can all use if we want to go "live".

Is that a voice thing? We'd need to work out some kind of protocol for making sure we didn't leave anyone out for not speaking up. And I guess keep notes as we go, just like playing around a table.

What kind of equipment is required? I'm pretty sure my boys both have headsets w mikes for their online gaming; I'll have to ask if there is an extra one floating around for me. Maybe my stepson who is off learning to be a soldier left one here, I know he took some gaming equip w him, and we shipped him a box last week, so not sure what is left here.

sabredog August 29th, 2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 450879)
Is that a voice thing? We'd need to work out some kind of protocol for making sure we didn't leave anyone out for not speaking up. And I guess keep notes as we go, just like playing around a table.

What kind of equipment is required? I'm pretty sure my boys both have headsets w mikes for their online gaming; I'll have to ask if there is an extra one floating around for me. Maybe my stepson who is off learning to be a soldier left one here, I know he took some gaming equip w him, and we shipped him a box last week, so not sure what is left here.

You need a microphone and speakers. Or a headset.

The client software is a free download. The program shows who is speaking so we'd know that...I use it for my online flight squadron. Or Left4dead with my daughter. She just uses the mic and speakers in her laptop but I have the zoomy headset.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.