Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play By Post - In Character (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Imperial Scout Rescue Service - 03 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=41149)

flykiller June 2nd, 2020 10:56 PM

Imperial Scout Rescue Service - 03

the playground:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal.../1_equus_4.gif

the boat:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...errand_gig.GIF

the players:

pilot (Shadow Shack)
Nyco Layne (mH)
6A9687 age: 33
vacc suit / 0G 2*(hazard suit +1, else -1)
pilot 2*(A)
computer-1
navigation-1
medical 1
mechanical-1
shotgun-2*
brawling-2

computer tech (vegas)
Shigiikarishi Ishkiigegakag
57AC88, age 28
vacc suit / 0G 2*(hazard suit +1/else -1)
computer 2*(security+2, else-1)
electronics 2*(general)
comms 2
robotics 0
medical 1
forgery 1

navigator (npc)
Drip (nek Kiag)
566BA6, age 22
vacc suit / 0G 1
pilot 1, navigation 2*
electronics 2*(general)
sidearm 1

Shadow Shack June 3rd, 2020 12:51 PM

<subscribed>

flykiller June 3rd, 2020 10:02 PM

The Whale, a pretty dark blue large gas giant, looms out the gig starboard bridge window. You get used to it after a few weeks of being stationed out here, but every now and again it still catches you by surprise and feels threatening. And it is actually. Even the gig's 4G capability would labor to escape the Whale's gravity well if you plotted a bad course, so by scout rules a schooled navigator had to accompany every vehicle out here.

Well, a navigator, anyway ....

And Drip's been to Nav Academy. Fresh out actually, all of 155 cm and 22 years old and on her first nav posting. You've never heard anyone call her anything but Drip, though the name on her flight coveralls is Kiag. You know for a fact it's nek Kiag, meaning her family rebelled against vilani culture and went terran centuries ago. Still she seems to be doing OK, she hasn't had to correct her navs yet and she seems pleased with herself as you slowly race around the bulk of the gas giant on your way to comm relay station 003. Ishi is to calibrate the station's nav sensors and comm links, Nyco is to get him there, and Drip is to make sure you don't get swallowed by the big blue thing to starboard.

Shadow Shack June 3rd, 2020 10:35 PM

Nyco smiles at the newcomer after lighting a fresh Regina Torpedo. "Nyco Layne, pleased to finally meet you. I have a basic rating in navs so let me know if I can be of any assistance."

vegas June 4th, 2020 12:24 PM

Having spent enough time in Scout operations, Ishi had adapted. The isolation of space travel had never bothered him as he was perfectly content to keep his own company, but there was still boredom to overcome. If he thought about it, he missed his role in Scout Intelligence where the sweet tools and data could entertain him for days on end, but now with time and necessity-birthed-invention he had found new ways to occupy himself. His interests in both sigint and operational security inspired him to take a deep dive into communications tech and on this journey, he filled his days with study and tinkering with the radio jammer in his pack.

flykiller June 8th, 2020 11:19 PM

(errand gig added to first post)

Quote:

he filled his days with study and tinkering with the radio jammer in his pack.
One of the things Ishi picks up on right away is that his jammer and the em interference by the Whale are distinguishable. Not easily, the manuals say there should be very little difference, but after a day of tinkering it becomes apparent.

Quote:

Nyco Layne, pleased to finally meet you. I have a basic rating in navs so let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Drip glances out the window at the big blue thing. "Sure, check all you want, I'm kinda nervous." Sounds a little mousy. She's clearly competent, she just needs reassurance. Also after a day out here in the little errand gig she's fallen into the slow measured response typical of long-haul spacers.

The Whale emits quite a bit of electronic interference, but you're finally close enough to get good comms to 003 from the gig's systems.

vegas June 9th, 2020 05:50 PM

The challenging EM environment prompts Ishi to spend additional time testing and tuning the commo gear to get optimal performance between individuals and with the gig. He also checks to see if there is any back up comm equipment, particularly something like laser or meson point-to-point gear that could be used if radios are unavailable. And conscientious as always, he has the team do a walk-through together on hand signals and optical signalling with hazard suit lights in the unlikely event it is needed.

flykiller June 9th, 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

laser or meson point-to-point gear that could be used if radios are unavailable
It's around but not normally part of a routine scout resupply/maintenance mission. The comm link on the errand gig is over a hundred years old. Decently maintained, as is the rest of the boat, but still seen a century of use.

Quote:

he has the team do a walk-through together on hand signals and optical signalling with hazard suit lights
No hazard suits on this mission, just standard vacc suits. Nice ones though, the scout base on 4-2 just had an inventory update and you got your own suits.

And it turns out Drip knows a version of sign language. She can teach you.

Shadow Shack June 10th, 2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 613410)
Drip glances out the window at the big blue thing. "Sure, check all you want, I'm kinda nervous." Sounds a little mousy. She's clearly competent, she just needs reassurance. Also after a day out here in the little errand gig she's fallen into the slow measured response typical of long-haul spacers.

Nyco does a quick scope on the navigational program. "Navs look good to me. You'll get the hang of it, we all gotta start somewhere. You have this pilot's approval, keep up the good work."

flykiller June 10th, 2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

You have this pilot's approval
Most navigators are self-confident but Drip's not, she seems to be reassured by an experienced scout's opinion. She still checks her panel regularly though.

Noting a data point and looking forward she announces rather formally, "In sight." The rotational wheel station is easy to miss in the star background but easily seen once identified. A few scientists doing research, a few scouts to support the station's primary mission.

Drip lights off comms. "Station 003 Gig 11 on approach for maintenance mission requesting comm link to Base." - she means that since the errand gig's comms can't quite get through to base on its own she's requesting a relay to base through the station's much more capable comm emitters.