Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

SpaceBadger September 8th, 2013 12:04 AM

Final financial arrangements before you leave:

Current ship account:

UGH, no, can't do this right now. Head hurts. Will edit later.

Anymore on advancing the story, come on ahead, that is not a headache, that is fun!

sabredog September 8th, 2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 452159)
Final financial arrangements before you leave:

Current ship account:

UGH, no, can't do this right now. Head hurts. Will edit later.

Anymore on advancing the story, come on ahead, that is not a headache, that is fun!

Since I'm under the influence for similar reasons I concur. Given how my head feels I was starting to hope for a double-cross so I could shoot someone, if only vicariously.

Since we have the majority of the ground issues cleared up and are waiting only for loading and take-off I'm going to go to bed. I'll be bright and chipper in the morning, though, and will monitor while I work on a plane. Night all.

SpaceBadger September 8th, 2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 452161)
Since I'm under the influence for similar reasons I concur. Given how my head feels I was starting to hope for a double-cross so I could shoot someone, if only vicariously.

[OOC: I guess I could arrange a mugging, if that would help. :D

Only problem is, I don't know if Hampton is armed or not. Will he generally be carrying something if LL permits? What if LL does not permit?

Of course, Fritz has mentioned the issue explicitly enough that I'm pretty sure Donoma has some weapon handy even when bathing. :smirk:

And I also have instructions from Kalos.

Hmm, who else? Sam has stated Henry's armament policies.

I also don't think I know about what Gayne or Max or Doc tend to carry around in the way of armament. (I'm sure Gayne would carry his rifle, but that isn't allowed most places... Snub gun, maybe?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 452161)
Since we have the majority of the ground issues cleared up and are waiting only for loading and take-off I'm going to go to bed. I'll be bright and chipper in the morning, though, and will monitor while I work on a plane. Night all.

Sounds like a plan, although I've had this current headache about three days now, and have been sleeping off and on most of today, so I think I will just work some more on the Wiki.

Zhemi Subsector (the next one toward trailing, in Daibei; where you came from last before where you are now) is shaping up pretty well, just gotta do those #%^* image-maps for the subsector map. Actually I have that working pretty well now, just lots of boring cut/pasting, and short term memory of numbers while flipping from one page to the next.

SpaceBadger September 8th, 2013 05:18 AM

Updating Ship Document:

I plan to update the ship document on several issues, then upload a new PDF (same filename as previous) and also put it on the Wiki. Before I do that, I want to let y'all know what is on my fix-it list, and ask if you have anything else that needs fixing on it.

1) adding Security Station to deckplan

2) adding Donoma to crew list

3) updating p.12 to say that M-drives are now up to standard on maintenance

4) also on p.12 showing Upper cargo-bot as fixed (even though not done yet, it will be trivial repair w that junked one)

5) Arthur, I think you mentioned having J-drive and PP both up to standard, but how did you handle that in your maintenance spreadsheet? How was it paid for? Just move that maintenance debt over to another area of the ship?

6) Med Bay - Dave, we have made some changes back and forth on Doc's contributions to the ship. Does that currently include the necessary medical drug supplies to get med-bay up to standard on those, or not? How about other maintenance stuff in med-bay - waiting for cash and opportunity to fix?

7) Anybody have any other issues w current Ship document? If so, please let me know so I can fix and upload all at once.

SpaceBadger September 8th, 2013 05:51 AM

Combat Action Instructions

I was just discussing this with "Kalos" the other day, and thought I would ask for input from y'all before we get into our first big combat scene (not that there necessarily is one coming soon, but y'know, just in case... :devil:)

We will be using basic CT combat for everything that it covers. Sabredog sent me some spreadsheets that he made that will help a lot, combining the lookups for armor and range mods for different weapons.

Movement: I don't think CT covers movement real well if you are trying to play on any kind of map, or even trying to visualize with a map in your head. It is fine if all you care about is abstract range bands, otherwise, not so much. I think as long as y'all keep movements each round reasonable, I have no problem. Just so you know, if I have some doubt about whether some move ought to be reasonable, I'll be looking at Snapshot. Not that I ever liked actually playing it with all of that Action Point accounting, but I think it makes a reasonable base for judgment, and it is customized for shipboard combats.

Info that I want about each character each round:

1) Participating in combat:
- - a) Hiding or otherwise trying not to be involved;
- - b) Taking one careful shot per round;
- - c) Taking as many aimed shots as opportunity allows while evading;
- - d) Just blazing away as fast as your weapon can go, such as area fire or trying to make the enemy keep their heads down;
- - e) Punching, kicking, grappling, stabbing... other combat actions besides shooting a gun.

2) Evading or Not Evading (for those that don't know, this is a Traveller thing that means you are moving around or using cover to get a defense bonus to avoid being hit, or popping in and out of cover; however, it also makes it harder for you to aim and hit your enemies).

3) Any movement or other actions your character is doing: crawling, running, climbing, reloading, giving first-aid to himself or someone else, basically anything else he might be doing.

If I don't have instructions on a particular character and we need to keep things moving, they will either continue previous action (if that still makes sense), or do whatever seems reasonable (to me, the GM), or do nothing.

Are there any other actions or options that y'all can think of that need to be included in what a character is doing in combat?

Ammo: I don't want to be an ammo-accountant for everyone. You can do this for your own character if you want, or else just try to keep it real as far as how often you ought to reload considering the amount of firing your character is doing. If you aren't saying anything about reloading, I might remind you once in awhile.

Oh, yeah, die rolls. Same policy as previously stated: when in combat, give me three 2d6 rolls with each statement of actions; if I don't receive those with your action, I will assume you want me to just roll for your character as needed.

EDIT: One More Thing! Drama points. You each have 1 Drama Point at this time. If you want to use it, you need to tell me.

I have had one player tell me already (one who also wants me rolling dice for his character) that he doesn't want to bother w Drama Points either, and I should just use it for his character if I think appropriate. That isn't really how they are supposed to work; they are supposed to be for the Player to tell the GM, "This is important to my character."

However, I have agreed to try this and see how it works for his character, and will do it for others also if requested. I hope you don't all decide to have me decide on applying Drama Points; if so, something is wrong and the system needs fixing. But we will see how it goes, and don't blame me if you think a Drama Point should have been used and you didn't tell me!

EDIT 2: Wow, was just looking at the Evading rule in TTB and it appears that we have been doing it wrong all of these years!!! We had it pictured as ducking and weaving, bobbing up and down from behind cover or doorways or whatever, taking what shots you can get. We imposed a defense bonus and an offense penalty, reasoning that if you were evading you couldn't aim very well, taking mostly snapshots. Now I read in TTB that when you are evading you cannot attack at all! My whole worldview of Traveller evasion is upside down? How do you represent the kind of fighting that I thought we were doing with Evasion? Comments, suggestions?

Fritz_Brown September 8th, 2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 452160)
EDIT: Scrambling to find some info on loading times for freight; if not in regular CT I am pretty sure there is something in either GT: Far Trader or GT: Starships; hoping it is nice and simple.

[OOC: It is pretty simple. All the material is containerized, in 1/2dT containers... totaling 100 containers. If the containers are near the ship, it shouldn't take but one or two minutes each to queue them up where the cargo cranes can nab them (and a constant nudging forward in the line), then a few minutes each to maneuver them in the hold and set them down and return for the next one in line. The longest time will be going around and locking them in or tying them down - probably another 5 minutes per container.

If you wait for the first bunch to be lined up before you begin loading them, call that 10 minutes. Then 4 minutes per container to place in position - so, 400 minutes (7 hours). The crew is working on the lockdowns as the containers are placed, so add maybe 30 minutes at the end to finish. Add another hour for complications that arise. That makes for <9 hours of labor. If you say that not all the containers are 1/2dT, then it will take some extra figuring by our crew on placement of containers, so add a half hour for a cargo plan. Then add in an hour for lunch if these guys are union. ;)

Total of 10-10.5 hours to load the ship, assuming we know as soon as we set down whether all the containers are 1/2dT or not.]

SpaceBadger September 8th, 2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 452190)
[OOC: It is pretty simple. All the material is containerized, in 1/2dT containers... totaling 100 containers. If the containers are near the ship, it shouldn't take but one or two minutes each to queue them up where the cargo cranes can nab them (and a constant nudging forward in the line), then a few minutes each to maneuver them in the hold and set them down and return for the next one in line. The longest time will be going around and locking them in or tying them down - probably another 5 minutes per container.

If you wait for the first bunch to be lined up before you begin loading them, call that 10 minutes. Then 4 minutes per container to place in position - so, 400 minutes (7 hours). The crew is working on the lockdowns as the containers are placed, so add maybe 30 minutes at the end to finish. Add another hour for complications that arise. That makes for <9 hours of labor. If you say that not all the containers are 1/2dT, then it will take some extra figuring by our crew on placement of containers, so add a half hour for a cargo plan. Then add in an hour for lunch if these guys are union. ;)

Total of 10-10.5 hours to load the ship, assuming we know as soon as we set down whether all the containers are 1/2dT or not.]

I think we specified it was 1/4 ton containers - each 1.5m3. So that would be more containers to handle, but easier to fit them into available space. Maybe some kind of frameworks to lock them together to keep the load from shifting...

EDIT: Also, no one is "nudging" these forward in line; they require individual handling. I don't recall what you computed for me as the mass of one of those cubes, but even with a built-in grav unit to take off part of that effective weight, these suckers are heavy.

DaveChase September 8th, 2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 452180)
Updating Ship Document:

6) Med Bay - Dave, we have made some changes back and forth on Doc's contributions to the ship. Does that currently include the necessary medical drug supplies to get med-bay up to standard on those, or not? How about other maintenance stuff in med-bay - waiting for cash and opportunity to fix?

Doc has been working on the med bay/sickbay for the last 4 months, hoping that Kalos will be able to locate needed parts/supplies as they reach each planet.

Doc contributed 100KCr retail price of medical drugs and the portable Medical base besides labor and being a doc for crew/passengers.

I do not know where the state of the sickbay is at right now, so ??

SpaceBadger September 8th, 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 452209)
Doc has been working on the med bay/sickbay for the last 4 months, hoping that Kalos will be able to locate needed parts/supplies as they reach each planet.

Doc contributed 100KCr retail price of medical drugs and the portable Medical base besides labor and being a doc for crew/passengers.

I do not know where the state of the sickbay is at right now, so ??

OK, well Cr100K sounds like quite a bit of medical drugs, so do you think we should call it stocked as far as meds? And now work on picking up parts for repairs, so Doc can get the two bots working properly. I don't recall if we have anyone w Electronics-2 or better, so might need to hire some of the work done on diagnostic machines - wouldn't want one to turn a patient Extra Crispy when all you wanted to do was look at his liver!

So I'll put down that the Med drug situation is good, but the equipment still needs some work.

DaveChase September 8th, 2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 452220)
OK, well Cr100K sounds like quite a bit of medical drugs, so do you think we should call it stocked as far as meds? And now work on picking up parts for repairs, so Doc can get the two bots working properly. I don't recall if we have anyone w Electronics-2 or better, so might need to hire some of the work done on diagnostic machines - wouldn't want one to turn a patient Extra Crispy when all you wanted to do was look at his liver!

So I'll put down that the Med drug situation is good, but the equipment still needs some work.

The diagnostic machines in the sickbay are not up to speed yet, the other 2 that Doc bought are brand new. So, once the sickbay machine gets fixed, this ship could act like a mobile hospital if we had the right staff. I figure that the diagnostic machine in sick bay is bigger and better than the two portables that Doc purchased

The gurney (if I remember correctly) still needs some grav work done. I figured Doc took it apart and cleaned it and updated the files/programs on it besides giving it a new cover/bedding.

Doc actually spent 80KCr on the drugs (wholesale price) and some of the drugs are what the ship can use as merchandise on some planets.

Note: I did not look up all the PM and other discussions we had on this, and am only speaking from memory.