Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

Fritz_Brown September 6th, 2013 08:50 PM

SB - I sent you an email with some technical questions.

SpaceBadger September 7th, 2013 03:08 AM

Nexus system info on Wiki

Added more detail on Nexus, since that is the next place you'll be visiting.

Fritz_Brown September 7th, 2013 07:26 AM

Having read that information, and with her experience there, does any of that provide pause about shipping a REALLY valuable shipment of metal there? These guys are very scrupulous about their trade, right? (I hope.)

SpaceBadger September 7th, 2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 452063)
Having read that information, and with her experience there, does any of that provide pause about shipping a REALLY valuable shipment of metal there? These guys are very scrupulous about their trade, right? (I hope.)

Nexus? No, you wouldn't expect any problem.

rancke September 7th, 2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 452063)

I'm sure the dictator is as trustworthy as most dictators. ;)

Hans

atpollard September 7th, 2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 452017)
FYI: one of the automatic skills that every character has is skill-0 with whatever is the most common personal transport for them.

So each of y'all has at least skill-0 w Grav Vehicle, and none of you is showing any other vehicle skills in what you have publicly disclosed.

Max probably doesn't.
He was raised in a boarding school and shipped out with the Navy before turning 18.
It is probably one of many 'normal' things that he always wanted to learn but hasn't had a chance. Along a similar line, Max has skill-0 in Shotgun because he learned to use a shotgun on his previous ship but probably never had the general weapons familiarity training of most characters, so he has no skill (like the Doctor career) in most weapons.

Part of the price to be paid for high technical expertise at a young age ... no private life.

samuelvss September 7th, 2013 11:55 AM

IMTU, I allow any with a skill to, with the appropriate training aids, equipment, time and facilities, to bring another up to -0 level.

Training aids, such as holographic tutorials that interact with physical training aids, such as weapon inserts, make training such as weapons training possible in more limited circumstances.

One with, for instance, a holo training program, weapon, physical training aids, and a live "instructor" could pickup Gauss Rilfe-0 in 40 hours of work and practice, even in a stateroom, where the face-to-face instruction is about 10% of the total (throw DEX- and INT- on 2D6 every 10 hours after 30).

Without the holo training program, this same amount of time would likely be required with a fully interactive (e.g.: pop-ups, etc) range complex, 50-60% of the time face-to-face, and probably about 100 live rounds.

My hack at this. Most grav and space vehicles, TL9+, have either embedded or plug-in trainers to facilitate familiarization training.

atpollard September 7th, 2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 452090)
IMTU, I allow any with a skill to, with the appropriate training aids, equipment, time and facilities, to bring another up to -0 level.

Training aids, such as holographic tutorials that interact with physical training aids, such as weapon inserts, make training such as weapons training possible in more limited circumstances.

One with, for instance, a holo training program, weapon, physical training aids, and a live "instructor" could pickup Gauss Rilfe-0 in 40 hours of work and practice, even in a stateroom, where the face-to-face instruction is about 10% of the total (throw DEX- and INT- on 2D6 every 10 hours after 30).

Without the holo training program, this same amount of time would likely be required with a fully interactive (e.g.: pop-ups, etc) range complex, 50-60% of the time face-to-face, and probably about 100 live rounds.

My hack at this. Most grav and space vehicles, TL9+, have either embedded or plug-in trainers to facilitate familiarization training.

I would agree with all of this.
As the game unfolds, I would expect that Max would probably like to take advantage of this.

At one point SpaceBadger pointed out that Max had unspent character points to buy some of his skill-0 up to skill-1 if I wanted to do so before the start of the game, but I would prefer for Max to lean and grow over time as the game progresses.

I like playing characters.
I like the character interaction.
Growing up 9 minutes from downtown Manhattan (in northern New Jersey), I know of many people who never learned to drive. Living in Manhattan makes driving a car very hard to learn and somewhat pointless since there is almost no parking except $25 per hour lots and abundant mass transit.

I imagined Max as one of those people who lacks many common skills due to his background. This serves as justification for a 25 year old with Engineering-3 and Steward-2 when Engineering-2 and Steward-0 or, maybe, Steward-1 would IMHO be more age appropriate. The character vision justification reflects someone whose life to this point has been narrowly focused to service to the state. Max is only now struggling to discover who he is as a person.

Of course, the story to this point has kept Max a little too busy to focus on learning to drive the air-raft, or shoot a pistol or check out a really cool grav bike (although Max might be more tempted to tear down and examine the internal details on how a high performance miniature grav drive works than learning to actually drive it - that's why he is an engineer rather than a pilot.) ;)

Fritz_Brown September 7th, 2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 452093)
(although Max might be more tempted to tear down and examine the internal details on how a high performance miniature grav drive works than learning to actually drive it - that's why he is an engineer rather than a pilot.) ;)

Well, keep an eye out for when Donoma starts working on it. She really doesn't mind sharing that sort of fun. ;)

samuelvss September 7th, 2013 07:40 PM

"Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living..." ;)