Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

SpaceBadger September 2nd, 2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 451283)
Instead of the Model 317 Advance base, I would like it to be this made up one (see image below) called the Model 321 Medical Base.

For 60KCr (10KCr extra for the medical equipment, only holds 3 (2 in beds, 1 on surgery table, no robots or smart gurneys)

then 25KCr for Medical scanner
10.5 KCr for pocket Medical scanner
3 KCr for mulittool (scanner)
1.5 KCr for Botanist program, Chemistry program, Geologist program (there is no price in the book so I assume 500 Cr each program)
Which means Doc spent 500 Cr more than earlier

See description below and where the items came from
(this takes the 50KCr for the former lab and wraps it into the Model 317 to make up the difference. No lab, no chemistry set, no manufacturing of drugs the easy way.)

All sounds pretty good. I don't know if TL of these devices all need to be 12 - I think similar devices are in use in our campaign setting at TL 10. Unless there is something special these can do, that I am missing, that would not be available until TL 12?

Same thing on the vaccsuit contact points, I think those would be in most TL 10+ vaccsuits (such as the ones y'all have on this ship).

I see about 13 tons on the Med Base unfolded. Does it still pack up for storage at 6 tons?

SpaceBadger September 2nd, 2013 06:30 PM

So, back to the salt mines on the regional history and maybe another subsector or two.

atpollard September 2nd, 2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 451387)
All sounds pretty good. I don't know if TL of these devices all need to be 12 - I think similar devices are in use in our campaign setting at TL 10. Unless there is something special these can do, that I am missing, that would not be available until TL 12?

Same thing on the vaccsuit contact points, I think those would be in most TL 10+ vaccsuits (such as the ones y'all have on this ship).

I see about 13 tons on the Med Base unfolded. Does it still pack up for storage at 6 tons?

I have no idea about the 'shelter' that it is based on, but as a Registered Architect in the states of Florida and Tennessee, I am telling you that I could design that place (with very minor adjustment) to fold down into a 3m x 3m x 6m (4 dT) standard cargo container size. ;)

First, the beds fold up against the wall ...
... gosh I love designing stuff.

SpaceBadger September 2nd, 2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 451392)
I have no idea about the 'shelter' that it is based on, but as a Registered Architect in the states of Florida and Tennessee, I am telling you that I could design that place (with very minor adjustment) to fold down into a 3m x 3m x 6m (4 dT) standard cargo container size. ;)

First, the beds fold up against the wall ...
... gosh I love designing stuff.

As this is a medical base, the beds are probably hospital-type, and may not be so readily foldable.

Fritz_Brown September 2nd, 2013 07:56 PM

You don't have to have bulky beds for them to tilt and such. My late mother-in-law had one in her apartment, and it was actually pretty thin and lightweight. If you set it flat, then fold it up against the wall, it wouldn't be more than 9" deep. That's at TL8. Even traction equipment would be very easy to fold away.

DaveChase September 2nd, 2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 451387)

Your universe, your choice. I just copied what was the rule set that listed them from.
Quote:

Yes, it still folds up to 6 tons of space. I only changed out the room for an operating table and the other room of bunks to single hospital beds with monitors instead of cabinet storage.

SpaceBadger September 3rd, 2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 451444)
As for flight plan, yes we talked about it before...but I must have missed the part about jumps being trackable? They will be able to know where we jump to? Even if it can be done....would a TL8 world have that capability in this milieu?

[Moving this to OOC thread]

Well, I don't think that's ever been given as firm rules either way in CT/TTB, but hinted at a few times, and I've certainly seen it debated here and elsewhere.

My take is, you can't exactly be tracked, for example if there are several possible destination systems in the same general direction, no one could tell which one you went to. But if you have filed a flight plan to jump to a system that is due coreward from where you are leaving, and instead you jump to one in the opposite direction, due rimward, then yeah, if anyone is paying attention they can guess you went to the one instead of the other.

Just a little bit of flavor, IMHO.

Hadn't thought about the TL angle, really.

On reflection, I'd say that for the starport comm lasers and detection gear, they probably would buy some TL 10 stuff, as that is the interstellar baseline around here at this time. Probably detection satellites out around the GGs, plus comm sats in orbit and at the port on Devonia. Otherwise I don't know if TL 8 would really have much in the way of system traffic control.

Fritz_Brown September 3rd, 2013 06:56 AM

And, of course, what have the reavers destroyed? Did they leave some com-sats out by the GGs? Or did Devonia find those important enough to replace? And, yes, much like the transient pop issue, we can re-open that can (jump detection and tracking) and dump it into this OOC thread, too. ;)

If we did it on a regular basis, I would suggest renaming the thread "The Glue Factory", Spacebadger. ;)

SpaceBadger September 3rd, 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 451460)
And, of course, what have the reavers destroyed? Did they leave some com-sats out by the GGs? Or did Devonia find those important enough to replace?

Pretty sure we went trhough this also when y'all first came out of Jump. Devonia used to have a Highport and orbital Battle Station (and probably small defensive fleet, and some other useful stuff out on various moons and so forth). That all got destroyed by various Reaver raids over the centuries, and has not been replaced.

But we have already used in the story, and I am not going to retcon, that Devonia currently has comm/GPS sats in orbit, and a decent traffic control system covering at least Devonia itself and the GGs, so either those survived or got replaced.

Can anyone tell me Devonia's current defense policy (not official, but pretty well known to all residents) and current defensive fleet? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 451460)
And, yes, much like the transient pop issue, we can re-open that can (jump detection and tracking) and dump it into this OOC thread, too. ;)

If we did it on a regular basis, I would suggest renaming the thread "The Glue Factory", Spacebadger. ;)

No, would rather not get into jump-tracking debate here. Just take what I said above as "Word of GM": they can't track you, but there are signs of general direction in a jump for anyone who is paying attention.

(And while we are on the subject, if you are trying to enter a system and hoping for your jump-exit not to be noticed, better aim for someplace not likely to be watched, like the far far outer reaches of the system, or near a minor unoccupied planet currently on the far side of the sun from the mainworld.)

And let's not even get started on stealth-in-space, heat-sources against the cold background of the universe - it is part of the genre, so it is possible, through running "cold" and other measures, no matter how silly to the objective scientist-minded.

samuelvss September 3rd, 2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 451540)
Can anyone tell me Devonia's current defense policy (not official, but pretty well known to all residents) and current defensive fleet? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Two Gazelles and something else? A Partridge? A Pear Tree?