Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

SpaceBadger September 1st, 2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 451204)
I would probably say 2dT per day (for a total of 14). Otherwise, you're saying they are usually short 5.5dT out of 10. That's a lot of short. But, obviously, it's your call.

But remember it has been six weeks, so if the shortage of 5.5 were spread out over six weeks it would regularly be about 3 tons short per month, which is I think what Wallis said was more usual, then filling out the rest w other metals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 451204)
(And, yes, you don't get much La per ton of ore, from what I've been reading.)

Wait, reading what? You mean lanthamax is a real ore of Lanthanum? I've just been pulling that all out of my, umm, head. :rofl:

SpaceBadger September 1st, 2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 451210)
How much did they produce before? Running triple shifts will allow a tripling of production, but it does require three times as many workers, especially three times as many who are qualified to operate the heavy machinery. Did the population hve that many unemployed mine workers? It will also more than triple the wear on the equipment, but breakdowns probably won't occur in just one week. Anything more than tripling of production will require more heavy machinery (And more people to operate it).

Before this vein they were producing about 7 dTons/month of Lanthanum, plus 15 of other metals. But they were producing a lot less efficiently, because 1) they had to dig a lot of rock for the ore they got, and 2) the ore wasn't as high quality so they had to process more ore to get a given amount of Lanthanum.

Now this new rich vein is better quality ore, plus they are digging out more ore and less rock, so by working the same amount they get much better production. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :smirk:

DaveChase September 1st, 2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 451227)

[OOC: I think Doc would be back by now w the Launch, just haven't heard from Dave for a few days. Henry and his bunch are obviously back already, since he has been assisting w security on cargo transfers. Donoma just now arrived back and has her grav bike parked on top of the ship, but should be away and gone again before you lift off.]

Two things.

I have been kind of busy farming and 3 different doctor appointments on 3 different days last week.

Secondly, I have lost a bit of excitement in this game. I am trying to stay involved and I do not really want to let the other players down. But the headache comment bummed me out a lot.

As for why Doc hasn't done much besides the above, I have no idea how long or where he is on the deliveries. I just kind of waited until you (GM) told me since you were trying to straighten out the timeline of actions.

Fritz_Brown September 1st, 2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 451223)
Wait, reading what? You mean lanthamax is a real ore of Lanthanum? I've just been pulling that all out of my, umm, head. :rofl:

I don't know about "lanthamax", but lanthanum is real, and it is a "rare earth metal". It evidently oxidizes very rapidly, so it is found in heavy ores. Those ores are mostly non-lanthanum stuff.

Fritz_Brown September 1st, 2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 451231)
I have been kind of busy farming and 3 different doctor appointments on 3 different days last week.

Ouch. Hope both things went well.

SpaceBadger September 1st, 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Secondly, I have lost a bit of excitement in this game. I am trying to stay involved and I do not really want to let the other players down.

Please see PM re non-game issues. As for losing excitement in the game, what can I as GM do to help? What kinds of stuff would you like for Doc to do? Any suggestions for his planned get-together this evening w Sgt Blaser?

Quote:

As for why Doc hasn't done much besides the above, I have no idea how long or where he is on the deliveries. I just kind of waited until you (GM) told me since you were trying to straighten out the timeline of actions.

Sorry, I guess I dropped the ball there. I recall we decided that Doc would get back to the ship abt 1130 shiptime to get back on schedule w the others, then just assumed that after we got past that time you would post some action for Doc. I guess we were each waiting on the other to do something. :o

SpaceBadger September 1st, 2013 04:31 PM

Now that I have the subsectors for our primary adventure area pretty much laid out, I think I am going to work this afternoon on plotting out a bit more of the history of this area, so that I can have that as a framework for going back to fill in more details on individual worlds/systems.

Having that historical framework documented will also make it easier for players to develop some of the world/system details and stay consistent w the overall campaign setting.

I also wrote a section on the Wiki last night acknowledging my thanks to all who have inspired or helped with this campaign to this point, but I have gotten used to the idea that many of my players will not read all of the stuff that I write :rolleyes:, so I want to repost that part here in hopes that it will be seen by those to whom it is addressed:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger_on_Wiki

Thanks!!!

First I have to thank all of my players in this campaign: so far that is Sabredog, ErianFrost, ChaosBennett, Fritz_Brown, Samuelvss, DaveChase, and ATPollard (in order of signing up for the campaign). We have only just barely started, but I would not have been inspired to create this whole Wiki thing here if not for the enthusiasm you guys have shown so far. Thanks!

Sabredog has been especially helpful, and deserves special thanks for designing the ship that the players will be travelling in, the Fortunate Son. ErianFrost (who also happens to be my eldest son) and Fritz_Brown (a friend I never even knew before meeting in the CotI forums) have been very helpful for discussing and brainstorming ideas.

Two more guys aren't even part of our campaign, but deserve some special thanks for special websites that they administer that are of service to all Traveller fans, which have been vitally important to my efforts to organize and document this campaign setting to make it as real and understandable as possible to my players.

Joshua Bell (aka inexorabletash) has created an amazing resource at Travellermap.com [1], with data-driven maps of the Third Imperium and all of the areas surrounding it, that can be zoomed and scaled and customized and printed to PDFs as maps or booklets - and then has gone above and beyond the call of duty by making his site useable by individual GMs to create maps of custom ATUs! The maps for this campaign would be much much MUCH poorer in quality without the availability of Travellermap to turn all of my data into pretty and informative maps.

Then there is this TravellerWiki right here, on which you are reading these documents. I haven't found any credits here as to who created this Wiki, but the current administrator is Thomas Jones-Low (aka Tjoneslo), and he has been very helpful every time that I've been stumped as to how to do something in creating this reference for our SBRD campaign. In fact, when I was asking around about places to set up a wiki for this campaign, it was his idea to make a sort of sub-wiki for us here at the TravellerWiki, and he did the work to set up the foundation for it. I would not have been able to create all of this without his help.

Thank you all!!! :D

DaveChase September 1st, 2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 451237)

Sorry, I guess I dropped the ball there. I recall we decided that Doc would get back to the ship abt 1130 shiptime to get back on schedule w the others, then just assumed that after we got past that time you would post some action for Doc. I guess we were each waiting on the other to do something. :o

Sorry, I missed that timeline.

Doc works on cleaning up the sickbay and checks the rooms to make sure that the former passengers did not leave any bugs around (virus).

He will tell Alfred to inform the new crew member of their physical at 2000 hours with the option of doing it at 0600 hours, ship time.

Fritz_Brown September 1st, 2013 09:36 PM

Can you set off an ultraviolet bomb? Sort of like a fogger, but with UV? How many kilowatts would that need to get in all the nooks and crannies? (Vice getting in all the crooks and nannies... which is a different website, nvm.)

samuelvss September 1st, 2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancke (Post 451201)
Very few people commute to a world.
Hans

There is a big interval between a daily or weekly commute and permanent residence. In our current world, oil rig crews stay there temporarily, as do some ship crews. Good friend of mine was the captain of a commercial dredging ship; he and his crew were two weeks on and two weeks off, and the company flew them and the second crew back and forth.

I would envision miners, military, and others who worked one place and lived another. The cod fisherman from the Grand Banks would fish the whole season there before returning home.

So if you have a world like Pixie, TL13, Starport a, pop 0, then you can say it's a mistake, or you can say the starport's run by those who live therein, but not on the planet proper, or by those who are there temporarily.