Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown (Post 450744)
I see tailored vaccsuits as different from skin suits - they still have all the rigid joints, the hard neck ring for a helmet, lots of comm/air/liquid/control ports, etc. They just fit a lot better than trying to find a size 7 petite in the airlock. I wouldn't wear one all the time. I would wear a skinsuit.

Well, a tailored vaccsuit is different from a skinsuit - I think you and I discussed these awhile back in blog notes or somewhere - but is not just a better-fitting vaccsuit. CT and MT had tailored vaccsuits starting at TL 14, which I think is too high, so I lowered them to TL 12, which makes them cutting edge top-of-the-line in this setting.

But they do not have the hard neck ring or joints, etc. Like I said, they are not just a better-fitting vaccsuit, they are actually worn like a uniform, or work coverall, so the idea is that if you have one, you do wear it all the time, at least when awake and dressed. In an emergency, a soft helmet comes up out of the collar, and there is about 15 min air supply built-in - after that you need a PLSS or air-hose connection. You can also substitute a regular helmet in place of the built-in helmet for safety, added functionality (comms etc), etc. (There is no discussion of sanitary connections, which is fine w me.)

I do not know how they make a fully-functional vaccsuit that you can wear as comfortable clothing; I guess that is what makes them ultra-tech. But book descriptions say that is what they are.

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 450747)
Doc has his own vacc suit

If he received that in mustering out, he can have a tailored vaccsuit if he wants, since he was in a TL 12 Navy (see discussion elsewhere in this thread of functionality). Of course, it would be Imperial Realm Navy issue, although up to you if you have removed patches or not; that could be good or bad depending on point of view of who notices. I think that would be an especially appropriate uniform for a Navy doctor; in an emergency w possible casualties, they wouldn't want him running around looking for a vaccsuit, rather just hook up an air-supply and get to work treating the wounded.

Quote:

As for gunners in the turrets.

IMTU, military often has controls in the turrets, at TL 12 and higher not needed, but still there

civilian has them until TL 12 then often does not build in space for gunners unless requested by ship owner/designer as space wasted (not the space in the turret but corridor space to get to the turret.

That all sounds reasonable to me, and the TL 12 switch-point makes it a rare thing in this setting. I think you can operate a turret from a crew workstation on the Fortunate Son, just with some penalties for not being right there in the turret with the guns, which is why they aren't all done that way until TL 12 interface improvements. Thanks, Dave, it is always good to have some fluff to explain why things are done the way they are!

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 450758)
Ok just some WAG thoughts:
A new Laser installed at a yard costs 1 MCr [The Traveller Book price]

Refurbished used parts typically cost less than 50% of the cost of new, so let's guess 500,000 credits for a used Laser.

Scrap Yards typically are something like 10% of the cost of new, so let's guess 100,000 credits for a Junkyard Laser ... but they are usually that cheap for a reason, so I would assume that they need repair costing 1D6 x 100,000 credits to bring them up to 'Refurbished' condition.

Those are just some off-the-cuff thoughts.
Feedback welcome.

All of above sounds OK and reasonable to me.

Problem will be finding some on backwater place like Devonia. There just may not be any there to find - but it can't hurt to look.

sabredog August 29th, 2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Doc has his own vacc suit

As for gunners in the turrets.

IMTU, military often has controls in the turrets, at TL 12 and higher not needed, but still there

civilian has them until TL 12 then often does not build in space for gunners unless requested by ship owner/designer as space wasted (not the space in the turret but corridor space to get to the turret.

IMTU it is the opposite since any military purpose-built ship will be capable of firing batteries of turrets in addition to breaking those down to less than a full battery. And military ships are built around a warmaking philosophy. A guner is only needed at a one per battery rate for turret batteries. Civilian ships are less sophisticated and turrets are manned affairs with the gunner inside acting as an indepedent fire control system supplementing the one the computer uses.

Thats why Gunner Interact allows for the gunner to add his skill. And it adds something to the game having the gunner in the turret.

sabredog August 29th, 2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 450727)
If by "under weigh" you mean whenever the vessel is in space, going somewhere, I think that constantly wearing vaccsuits would be so annoying that no one would do it, even knowing risks involved (there are rescue balls stashed all over the place, I really went nuts on those since they are pretty cheap, but OTOH no real spacer ever wants to be in one of those...). (EDIT: I also added more combo-masks besides the ones that Sabredog already had listed in lockers, because I was thinking that if the ship is losing atmo but still has at least Very Thin atmo remaining, a combo-mask gives you time to get your vaccsuit on, while keeping out smoke and noxious gasses that may be around from damaged equipment.)

That is the beauty of skinsuits and tailored vaccsuits, you just wear them in comfort, all the time you are out in the Black.

Well, Sabredog [points finger] was the one who suggested that it was good for a gunner to be physically inside the missile turret to reload. If you have automatic reloaders, why do that?

But I think the standard missile launcher only holds about 5 or 6, doesn't it? So what we are talking about it reloading from the storage magazine into the actual launcher. How big/massy are ship's missiles, anyway?

Per the LBB2 TTB rules missile racks and sand casters have 3 rounds loaded, and a turret can have another 3 rounds ...per launcher...stored as a ready reload the gunner has to spend a round loading. Any ammo beyond is stored elsewhere and has to be carried to the turrets.

So thats why the gunner would need to be manning the missile turret....BUT....if we can assume either gunnery skill isn't needed for reloading OR gunnery-0 is sufficient for reloading, then we could have the gunner in a laser turret since the missiles dont get his skill DM anyway, but the lasers do.

Missiles don't get any DMs to hit- its dependent on range and if it gets through AA fire and ECM is all. Sand is just chaff chuffing out the tube.

sabredog August 29th, 2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 450712)
OK, following so far, so gunners actually have a seat in a turret "to feel it move" or whatever. But as for reloading, there isn't space for extra missiles or sand in the turret, so wouldn't they need to climb out to get their reloads (or preferably have someone who isn't busy on gunning or damage-control standing by with the spares to hand them in)?

That works for me. As I said in the above post, so long as you are ok with someone not needing gunnery skill (or skill-0) to do the reloading I'm good with that.

sabredog August 29th, 2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 450711)
But with fuses or circuit-breakers so things don't explode all over the Bridge in combat, and maybe some seat-belt harness arrangements in case of momentary lapse in inertial compensators? :file_23:

Did anybody have a tailored vaccsuit for daily wear? I think Donoma has emergency skintights under her coveralls, but would prefer a regular vaccsuit from ship stores - or does she have a vaccsuit as well?

Anybody else have their own vacc gear, or all using fitted Crew suits from ship stores?

I think when in Jump it is safe to lock up the Bridge and leave it unmanned until you are approaching the predicted exit time, then it is a good idea to have someone on around the clock until actual exit in case you emerge into a hazardous situation.

Normal space, hmm. I'm sure regs require someone actively Piloting on the Bridge for any maneuvers within a reasonable distance of other vessels or stations, or when in atmosphere. Not so sure why it would need manning 24/7 otherwise, as we all know Space Is Big and that is what sensors and alarms are for.

Sound reasonable?

I can mostly see this - slaving the two laser turrets together under your best Gunner. Wouldn't it be a distraction for the same gunner to handle missiles/sand, since the targeting is all different? Also, reloading those could be a problem if he/she really needed to be concentrating on aiming and firing lasers at that moment...

Although having two crew w Gunner-2 would be nice (cough-LiNeNoiSe-cough) in case they needed to fire lasers at two different targets.

What kind of lasers did you specify for Fortunate Son, pulse or beam?

Also, does Gunner skill matter for Missiles, or just give them a shove in the right direction and roll to see if they hit?

I did not intentionally change that, probably just missed it when copying/editing your stuff. Does the plan specify where those get stored? Maybe in that unused fire-control space rear of the Bridge, or did we put something else there, like a broom closet?

Hampton has a fitted suit designed for extended wear while manuevering the ship. It is stored on the bridge. There are plenty of regular vacc suits stashed all over the ship tha he'll use the rest of the time.

Kalos' duty station is the bridge. So is Hampton's. They don't have to be hands on but they have to respond if needed per their respective shift. They will alternate duty for routine flight ops every 8 hours.

The turrets have beam lasers.

The missile rack has 3 missisles loaded...a reload of three missiles in the turret...and two more three missile reloads stored in the unused FC space across the passageway. Ordinarily they would be stored at the end of the passage/lock running along the launch dock.

SpaceBadger August 29th, 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 450780)
Per the LBB2 TTB rules missile racks and sand casters have 3 rounds loaded, and a turret can have another 3 rounds ...per launcher...stored as a ready reload the gunner has to spend a round loading. Any ammo beyond is stored elsewhere and has to be carried to the turrets.

So thats why the gunner would need to be manning the missile turret....BUT....if we can assume either gunnery skill isn't needed for reloading OR gunnery-0 is sufficient for reloading, then we could have the gunner in a laser turret since the missiles dont get his skill DM anyway, but the lasers do.

Missiles don't get any DMs to hit- its dependent on range and if it gets through AA fire and ECM is all. Sand is just chaff chuffing out the tube.

Sounds like it would be best to have the best Gunner manning the lasers (slaved together) and one of the other gunners (both Bruno and Benjamin have Gunner-1) manning the missile turret, where Gunner skill doesn't really add anything.

That way the laser gunner doesn't have to stop manning the lasers and leave them idle for some crucial period of time to reload some missiles.

sabredog August 29th, 2013 02:44 PM

Works for me!

atpollard August 29th, 2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 450820)
Henry is going to sow MacPherson his data pad.

"Well, Mr. MacPherson, I can certainly appreciate beautiful pair of Hawley-Ridger's. I am not sure what my chief engineer will think, or whether we can afford them. What are you asking?"

Henry is going, with MacPherson's permission, to comm pictures to Max, along with the price info if it's high, and his opinion that they would be supremely useful, and his opinion of the price. He will then buy them or not, based on Max's say-so, and see what MacPherson can do about the new parts Max has asked about.

Time for a little OOC discussion ...

The Ship's Maneuver Drives needs Cr 33,360 worth of repairs (at a Starport) to be in 100% condition ... so a 30,000 credit Hawley-Ridger that would apply towards the 33,360 credit maintenance debt would go a long way towards catching up without 'saving a fortune' and 'spending a ton of crew time'.

... but all of this is a Referee call.

As a 'wish list' type of suggestion ...
... Max can pay for the Hawley-Ridger's out of his own pocket (spending some of his cash)
... We can pick up the Hawley-Ridger's and load them aboard the ship.
... We can fly to the mine to load the cargo.
... While the cargo is being loaded, we can spend a few hours swapping out the Hawley-Ridger's.
... we drop off the old units with MacPherson (like an alternator swap in an auto repair where you get the new one and they get the old one to rebuild).
... The rest of the crew arrives with the other cargo that they are running down (comm and guns).
... we get out of dodge with shiny new grav drives (only needing another 3,360 credits worth of maintenance at a starport to be 100% up to date).

.. that's my wish list.