Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old October 19th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 0
jgreely Citizen
Okay, I've read Slink182's post on the troubles he ran into automating the system for Windows, but while I did have the same "too darn many asteroid-belt mainworlds" problem, I have enough other questions about the system as presented to justify a new topic.

</font>
  • In step 3, when a red dwarf is generated, it says "you may skip step 4". Setting aside the fact that this is a must not a may, should you also ignore step 4's temperature modifier for class M? I'm guessing yes, based on the white dwarf example above it.</font>
  • In step 4, does the comment on "no K5-K9 sub-giant stars" mean "size IV" or "anything smaller than a giant"? I assumed "size IV", on the theory that they'd have written non-giant otherwise.</font>
  • In step 7, why does the first row of the habitable zone table exist, when by step 3 all white dwarfs are class W with no habitable zone?</font>
  • Is it correct that there is exactly one habitable orbit (0) for a red dwarf? Other discussion suggests yes.</font>
  • Still in step 7, when placing companion stars, they are "occasionally" found in the main orbits. I decided this meant "roll 3 or less on 2d6" (~8%).</font>
  • By the way, if you place companion stars in orbits this way, there's a one-in-several-million chance that the "forced empty" rule will eliminate all other orbits in a trinary system, leaving you no place for a mainworld. I liked this so much I blessed it with size code Z in the UWP. </font>
In the world generation rules, the only thing that really caught my eye was that the population multiplier in step 8 is called an "exponent" (when the actual exponent is the UWP Pop code). And there are a few places where the rules can produce out-of-range results, like Hydro and TL (I was really surprised to find a TL 19 world in my output; "woo-hoo, anagathic supply run!").

My way of dealing with the "way too many orbit 0 asteroid belts around red dwarfs" was to add an additional roll of 1d3. On a 1, the mainworld is placed in orbit 0, otherwise it ends up in a random outer-zone orbit. I've also added the suggested "ignore size mods for close orbits" option, which increases the variety and makes the output look more Traveller-y.

The other major problem I found was a number of low-tech asteroid-belt mainworlds with thousands of people and no starport. To fix that, I added code so that if a belt mainworld had a TL below 8, then it should be rerolled based on population. For Pop 0-2, roll 1d3 + 6 + Pop, else 1d3 + 9.

This leaves you with a small chance of a Pop 0, TL 7 belt, which I decided represented a colony ship that broke down several generations ago, stranding a small (and steadily decreasing) number of people here. The survey Scout ship either didn't have room to evacuate them, or couldn't convince them to leave (no common language, etc).

-j

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.