Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:53 AM
EvilDrGanymede

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by Jame:
I, too, like the Alternity: Star*Drive setting, too. But my comment on the similarities between it and TS was meant more as an aside - to *try* to get back on topic, does anyone know if there are plans to move the TS timeline up? Or any plans at all, since it seems to be going nowhere at the moment?
There's a vague idea to do a "Transhuman Stars" setting, which would be the future of TS, where humanity has (somehow) moved beyond the solar system. But I have no idea when that might be on the cards, if it ever happens.

As for it 'going nowhere at the moment', if you mean in terms of books then Broken Dreams and Toxic Memes are due out soon (in November and early 2004 respectively). Broken Dreams is the last of the 'core supplements' to be released - those that were originally planned when the line was created. After Toxic Memes, I'm not sure what's on the cards - there were rumours of setting books that focussed on individual cities but I don't know if those are going to actually happen or not.

If you mean in terms of timeline, that's a deliberate choice - all the books assume a January 1st 2100 date, and it's left to GMs to develop the setting as they please.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jame Citizen
I was referring more to the books - I'd forgotten about Broken Dreams and didn't think Toxic Memes was going anywhere. As for the calendar within the books, yer right - I'd forgotten that.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Erik Boielle Citizen
>>I was referring more to the books - I'd forgotten about Broken Dreams and didn't think Toxic Memes was going anywhere.<<

Incidentally, the people in charge feel that they put out the books to quickly - retailers felt they were tripping over each other, and I know what they mean.

You may have noticed I'm a fan, but I'm still a book behind as I don't feel like reading it right now.

Hence the release schedule will now slow.

Theres also, I think, eventually going to be a book called Postmodern Firepower, which will be about guns and army men.

Frothing Viking Fanboy In Residence
Old November 11th, 2003, 12:45 AM
EvilDrGanymede

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Boielle:
Incidentally, the people in charge feel that they put out the books to quickly - retailers felt they were tripping over each other, and I know what they mean.
Presumably that applied after In The Well came out, considering that was delayed almost 18 months because it got stuck in SJG's production bottleneck.
Old July 13th, 2013, 03:43 PM

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Anyone thought about this lately?
Old July 13th, 2013, 04:53 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe View Post
Anyone thought about this lately?
I almost replied to some of those posts up above, until I noticed that this conversation was from 2003 and none of the posters except Whipsnade are around anymore.

HOWEVER, I am interested in this subject, so your thread necromancy has been successful - IT's ALIVE!!!

As for making THS-2300 by adding stutterwarp to the THS setting, that sounds like a pretty good idea if you want to play THS without worrying so much about delta-V and long travel times in-system. I hadn't looked at it that way bc the cyberpunk and transhuman aspects of THS are not that appealing to me, so I look at THS more as a source to steal stuff that I like and transplant that stuff to 2300AD. If you can get hold of a copy of GURPS Terradyne, that is another excellent source of ideas for 2300AD, or a relatively low-tech Traveller setting.

What kind of setting do you envision making with elements of THS and 2300AD? Are you using anything from Traveller?

My current Traveller universe-in-progress began as an extrapolation from 2300AD forward a century or two, to include better FTL drives allowing a larger area of travel and contact w more traditional Traveller races. As I worked on it I eventually decided to dump the 2300AD history, while keeping some of the aspects of early expansion that I liked, and keeping something sort of like stutterwarp for the M-drive and FTL.

One specific area that I am mining material from THS and Terradyne for is the dominance of the Chinese in Solar politics. IMTU the whole European Union is a pretty solid bloc, with none of those wars from 2300AD leading to French dominance. However the Chinese rule India as a protectorate, and have also taken Mongolia, Korea, and Eastern Siberia, so they control a huge portion of the world's population and resources. Africa and South America are the most energetic, growing areas of the world, as problems of education, health, and hunger have largely been solved and their people are no longer second-class participants in world affairs. North America is the "old world", tired and a little depressed over not being the dominant powers anymore, and still home to a few rebels against the New World Order dominated by China and the EU. I haven't really decided where Australia and NZ fit in; probably with North America.

Outside the Solar System, human space is divided into a large number of systems under the control of the Chinese-dominated Solar Confederation (trying to think of a better name, any suggestions by those who speak either Mandarin or Cantonese?); a smaller number of systems branching from the "American Arm" allied primarily for common defense (to avoid being forcibly integrated into the larger bloc); and a few independents trying to stay independent.

Both major human governments also have connections into the larger galactic scene with other sapient races.

So... what are your plans/ideas for Transhuman 2300AD?

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old July 13th, 2013, 06:00 PM

Gallowglacht Citizen

Take stats from the CIA world factbook for the largest 30 or so economies on Earth. Translate them into Pocket Empires stats. Take data from the near stars lists and make my own updated maps. Generate the start systems using Gurps Space. Write some small programs to do the heavy lifting. Wait until it looks interesting, introduce a bracewell probe and Eclipse Phasify the place a bit. Run using SpaceMasters Blaster Law instead of the Eclipse phase combat system.

At least I'd love to. If I every get any of the free time stuff I vaguely remember having in the past...
Old July 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
Take stats from the CIA world factbook for the largest 30 or so economies on Earth. Translate them into Pocket Empires stats. Take data from the near stars lists and make my own updated maps. Generate the start systems using Gurps Space. Write some small programs to do the heavy lifting. Wait until it looks interesting, introduce a bracewell probe and Eclipse Phasify the place a bit. Run using SpaceMasters Blaster Law instead of the Eclipse phase combat system.
Had to google Eclipse Phase - looks cool: "transhuman conspiracy and horror" - maybe not what I'd choose for IMTU, but I'd love to be a player in someone else's game. (Another Eclipse Phase link.)

OK, now what is a bracewell probe? Ah, very interesting!

So will you have FTL travel? What kind?

Contact w other sapient races aside from probes?

Quote:
At least I'd love to. If I every get any of the free time stuff I vaguely remember having in the past...
Silver-linings may come inside of dark clouds. I currently have lots of free time because I am too sick to work. Thank God my kids are old enough to help out and take care of themselves a lot; don't know how I would have managed if this had happened 10 years ago. Also helps that I remarried; my wife keeps me going; definitely could not have done this as a single dad w four kids at home!

EDIT: Ugh. Sorry to be gloomy. Here's hoping that you may gain some free time for gaming, without any nasty side problems!

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old July 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

I almost replied to some of those posts up above, until I noticed that this conversation was from 2003 and none of the posters except Whipsnade are around anymore.

HOWEVER, I am interested in this subject, so your thread necromancy has been successful - IT's ALIVE!!!

How many experience points is "Revive Dead Thread" worth?

As for making THS-2300 by adding stutterwarp to the THS setting, that sounds like a pretty good idea if you want to play THS without worrying so much about delta-V and long travel times in-system. I hadn't looked at it that way bc the cyberpunk and transhuman aspects of THS are not that appealing to me, so I look at THS more as a source to steal stuff that I like and transplant that stuff to 2300AD. If you can get hold of a copy of GURPS Terradyne, that is another excellent source of ideas for 2300AD, or a relatively low-tech Traveller setting.

I was actually more interested in the CP/TH aspects. If I were to run a game, I'd probably abstract (wing) space combat.

What kind of setting do you envision making with elements of THS and 2300AD? Are you using anything from Traveller?

I was thinking along the lines of a High Colonies/THS fusion at first. No aliens or FTL drive.

I've always thought it would be interesting to run a new "Great Game" using THS instead of T2K as the backdrop.

My current Traveller universe-in-progress began as an extrapolation from 2300AD forward a century or two, to include better FTL drives allowing a larger area of travel and contact w more traditional Traveller races. As I worked on it I eventually decided to dump the 2300AD history, while keeping some of the aspects of early expansion that I liked, and keeping something sort of like stutterwarp for the M-drive and FTL.

Years ago I tinkered with the idea of a "Vilani 2300" campaign. I just never much cared for either stutterwarp or jump drive. I did waste months of time plotting out local space with Gliese 3 and Hipparcos data

One specific area that I am mining material from THS and Terradyne for is the dominance of the Chinese in Solar politics. IMTU the whole European Union is a pretty solid bloc, with none of those wars from 2300AD leading to French dominance.

I never liked the French or the Twilight War. I'm not sure whether I'd go for the EU or turn it into Eurabia. I'm starting to think of some possibilities here that nobody's ever tried.

However the Chinese rule India as a protectorate, and have also taken Mongolia, Korea, and Eastern Siberia, so they control a huge portion of the world's population and resources.

I kinda like this general idea. Chinese make great Bad Guys

Africa and South America are the most energetic, growing areas of the world, as problems of education, health, and hunger have largely been solved and their people are no longer second-class participants in world affairs.

I haven't given this much thought. Africa looks pretty hopeless. I thought I'd let the Chinese take it over maybe with some Small Wars going on with the Russians and/or Indians. Maybe throw in some US mercenaries from the Banana Wars.

North America is the "old world", tired and a little depressed over not being the dominant powers anymore, and still home to a few rebels against the New World Order dominated by China and the EU. I haven't really decided where Australia and NZ fit in; probably with North America.

I'm afraid that my ideas are a lot more dystopian which is why I've been considering THS and High Colonies as backgrounds.

Outside the Solar System, human space is divided into a large number of systems under the control of the Chinese-dominated Solar Confederation (trying to think of a better name, any suggestions by those who speak either Mandarin or Cantonese?);

I'd planned on making the Chinese a major power.

a smaller number of systems branching from the "American Arm" allied primarily for common defense (to avoid being forcibly integrated into the larger bloc); and a few independents trying to stay independent.

I'd like to update the maps to GL3/Hipparcos which pretty much screws up GDW's Arms.

Both major human governments also have connections into the larger galactic scene with other sapient races.

I'm thinking about throwing some of the races from FTL 2448.

So... what are your plans/ideas for Transhuman 2300AD?

Not quite sure yet, except for the US being a police state with varying degrees of Chinese hegemony. I'm gonna have to find my copy of Terradyne. It's been so long since I've seen it that I've forgotten what it was about.
Old July 13th, 2013, 07:48 PM

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Take stats from the CIA world factbook for the largest 30 or so economies on Earth. Translate them into Pocket Empires stats.
Good idea. I've thought about it before. Also thought about using World Tamer's Handbook to devlop a few colonies.

Quote:
Take data from the near stars lists and make my own updated maps. Generate the start systems using Gurps Space. Write some small programs to do the heavy lifting.
I'd probably just snatch some of EDG's files for AstroSynthesis, if I could afford AstroSynthesis

Heaven & Earth works pretty good for world generation.

Quote:
Wait until it looks interesting, introduce a bracewell probe and Eclipse Phasify the place a bit.
Great. Now I gotta review Eclipse Phase

Quote:
Run using SpaceMasters Blaster Law instead of the Eclipse phase combat system.
ICE charts are hilarious, but I've always thought that the rules would be virtually unplayable.

Quote:
I think we've all got that problem.