Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 19th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Some initial thoughts.

I think CT+ ship combat should be based on...

the range band system from CT Starter Edition.

Ships are either trying to close distance, open distance, or maintain distance, with evasive maneouvers possible in all three cases.

To which I would add rules so that everyone on board a ship with relevant skills gets to use them - maintaining player interest.

Sensors should have a part to play.

Lasers and particle beams for close range, missiles for long range.

Sandcasters and armour for defence.

Damage control parties.
Old August 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
As much as the vector system was fun I agree we want to avoid it but is this too simplified? What about a simple hex based and G-rated movement system. Something table top playable. The basic range system is (to me) too boring and lacking of what space combat should be somehow.

I'd take a stab at it if I had some time. What about adapting Brilliant Lances or something?

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old August 19th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++
you'll have to decide whether you want ship combat to be a wargame, or simply an add-on to an rpg.

if you really must have a wargame then why not mayday?

if it's an rpg add-on then perhaps the best approach is freeform informed by some basic rules.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

jappel Citizen
I'd take a cue from whichever game it is (and there are probably several) that include both a "realistic" and "cinematic" combat system - include a simplified system as Sigg suggests as well as a more detailed, miniatures-friendly version (ooh, an opportunity to hawk the forthcoming ship minis!). The two don't even necessarily have to yield identical or even really close results, though you don't want too much divergence.

Hey, we're in blue sky, wish-list mode at the moment, so why not?

- John
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

jappel Citizen
BTW, Sigg, your small-ship ideas from a couple of years ago need to be included - the heavy turrets, etc. They really allowed for differentiation between military and non-military ships at the small scale under essentially Book 2 rules. Those have to be the single best enhancement to Traveller starship rules since High Guard, IMHO.

- John
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
I'd keep the wargame as a separate add on.

For the basic game you need a quick way to resolve the sorts of situations that a role playing group will find themselves in.

Hence the suggestion of basing it on CT Starter, although MT is pretty similar to this idea as well.

A sheet of file paper is all you need to track relative movement and range, the drama comes from getting all the players involved.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Well I still think "The Role-Playing Space Combat System"* put out as a free pdf for T4 was a great way to go. Unfortunately I can't seem to find current sources for it as a download. Maybe my google-fu is weak, no time to try harder at the moment [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll have time later to look at my copy and propose an abbreviated version for this.

* Copyright 1996 by Joseph E. Walsh. Collaboration by Eris Reddoch, Guy "Wildstar" Garnett (who did the great QSDS), and Allen Shock.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally posted by jappel:
BTW, Sigg, your small-ship ideas from a couple of years ago need to be included - the heavy turrets, etc. They really allowed for differentiation between military and non-military ships at the small scale under essentially Book 2 rules. Those have to be the single best enhancement to Traveller starship rules since High Guard, IMHO.

- John
Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

I would like to include a greater range of turret/barbette options, and armour is a must.

But I'd like it as simple as possible...
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
Well I still think "The Role-Playing Space Combat System"* put out as a free pdf for T4 was a great way to go. Unfortunately I can't seem to find current sources for it as a download. Maybe my google-fu is weak, no time to try harder at the moment [img]smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll have time later to look at my copy and propose an abbreviated version for this.

* Copyright 1996 by Joseph E. Walsh. Collaboration by Eris Reddoch, Guy "Wildstar" Garnett (who did the great QSDS), and Allen Shock.
It's in the BITS archives here.

25 pages long and too complicated for basic CT+ methinks
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++
is there any reason this couldn't be a computer program?