Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old July 8th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
CaptRet Citizen+CaptRet Citizen+

I plan on rechristening it The Lady Agatha and using it as an expeditionary vessel. One of the retired Captain's colleagues is a retired Marine Colonel who earlier in his career successfully completed a Black Ops - as the Captain had been on "Special Duty" as a Commander, they could have met then (perhaps the Commander's vessel had inserted or retrieved the Marine's team - this also provides a situation in which they dealt with an Agent, who rendered aid to the Marine's team).
Given both the Captain's social status and clique from his Academy days, I see a possible future of special assignments from the Navy and Imperial govt.
Old July 8th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

You could give it a limo?

Daimler Lancer 8LS Limousine TL-9

600,000 CR

The Daimler Lancer series of town grav-cars is famous for its luxury standards and performance. The 8LS is the stretch limousine of the line and features seating in the rear for 6 passengers, a full entertainment suite, and full wet bar. The vehicle is fully enclose, but cannot fly to or from orbit. It does, however, have a full overpressure system as part of the environmental controls, along with filtration so that the passengers can ride in air conditioned comfort even on worlds with thin and tainted atmospheres.

The passengers in the rear compartment are separated from the front seats by a retractable partition and intercom system for driver. The vehicle datalink communications support all standard navigation control systems on worlds that prohibit driver-controlled flight over urban centers.

The Lancer 8LS comes in either hand-rubbed Piano Black or Ivory Cream lacquers with matching leather interiors that are trimmed with panels of hand-selected, deeply hazed, maroon Heffalump hide. Optional equipment for a sealed passenger environment is available.

Dimensions: 7.5mL x 1.6mH x 2.75mW Ship Tonnage: 6 tons

Speed: 250kph (150 kph NOE) Power Plant: Fusion

Fuel: 30 liters (10 hour range) Armor: Composite Laminates (Cloth for Classic Traveller)

Cargo Capacity: 2 cubic meters Passengers: 6 passengers/ + driver and front passenger

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old July 9th, 2019, 11:12 AM

I was thinking of something a bit more practical, able to take on special jobs for those linked to the Navy and Imperial/Sector government (and perhaps sometimes earning some money via providing frontier excursions to the rich - or appearing to). One of the possible missions could be acting as a Q-Boat. Pirates could get a nasty surprise to find that what appears to be a rich man's toy is actually carrying a well-armed boarding party (Safari ships and yachts could provide double bunks in their staterooms - and the average Corsair crew is less than ten).
Old July 9th, 2019, 11:36 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRet View Post
I was thinking of something a bit more practical, able to take on special jobs for those linked to the Navy and Imperial/Sector government (and perhaps sometimes earning some money via providing frontier excursions to the rich - or appearing to). One of the possible missions could be acting as a Q-Boat. Pirates could get a nasty surprise to find that what appears to be a rich man's toy is actually carrying a well-armed boarding party (Safari ships and yachts could provide double bunks in their staterooms - and the average Corsair crew is less than ten).

The original yachts WERE pirate hunters, that is what the name means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht
Old July 9th, 2019, 11:40 AM

Yes, from the Dutch for "hunting ship." And so it comes full-circle.
Old July 9th, 2019, 03:32 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Pop-up turrets? A bigger computer to run more combat programs? Maybe something really nasty in the cargo bay, like a missile rack or three? You can use the fixed mount rules in the Solimani book (or wherever they are nowadays) for that.

Old July 9th, 2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Pop-up turrets? A bigger computer to run more combat programs? Maybe something really nasty in the cargo bay, like a missile rack or three? You can use the fixed mount rules in the Solimani book (or wherever they are nowadays) for that.
I also was thinking along the lines of a pop-up turret for a Yacht (together with an armed Ship's Boat, that would make for a nasty surprise, Another possibility for a Q-boat would be additional "passenger" space for a Safari Ship (in place of one or both of the controlled environment tanks) as barracks for a well-armed boarding party. An additional possibility could be an after-market application of reflec to the exterior surface (enough to turn an initial laser hit).
Old July 9th, 2019, 06:04 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

A Yacht or Safari ship refitted for use a Q-ship or privateer ought to be able to carry two pop-up turrets, of which one can be loaded with triple sand launchers and the other with two lasers and a missile rack. The real ship killers in the game (on the adventure ship level) are missiles, so a burst of laser fire across the bow (or hitting something not too important using a good target select program) with the threat of a missile salvo if they don't heave to ought to work. At least with the average small cargo ship.

Especially with a small craft lurking around that is well-armed as well. You could even put the missile racks on the Launch (you can get three on it since they don't draw power) and arm the yacht's second turret with triple beam lasers.

Tactically, lasers are close range and missiles are long. So I'd have the launch stand off a good ways to make it hard to detect unless someone is really looking for it. Then unmask the yacht's turrets, fire a burst over the target's bow and demand surrender. If the target tries to make a run for it (or fight) then the yacht fires off three clouds of sand to neutralize the usual laser or two a ship might carry (but I guess that also depends on how dangerous your universe is) while having the Launch fire a missile or three (again, depending on the size and attitude of the target)....keeping the triple laser turret in reserve for anti-missile defense.

It's likely to cripple, and probably even effectively kill, the target if all three missiles hit. But, you can salvage what's left and when word gets around about it there will be more captains willing to comply with your demands and let the insurance companies sort it out. Of course, enterprising pirate hunters (of assorted legal ilk depending on what they think you are) will start showing up, but that just makes things even more fun.

Anyway, that's what I'd do but your mileage will vary. IMATU small traders don't usually carry weapons anyway, or if they do then it's just a laser and sand caster more often than not. I mean, shooting it out with pirates, privateers, and commerce raiders can get you aerosoled across your bridge deck pretty quick; best to let the ship's carrier/sponsor/insurance agent worry about it and just go home in one piece.

Old July 9th, 2019, 11:33 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Last time the players got a battered old cutter that had been painted with a huge wrap-around dragon breathing fire across the bow, and with a red-headed warrior amazon wielding a flaming sword and no clothing.
I recognize that ship! Wild's Ride! Although it was a launch rather than a cutter when serving as auxiliary to Fortunate Son.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old July 10th, 2019, 11:09 AM

Sabredog, very interesting discussion of applied naval tactics. I particularly liked the idea of mounting missiles vice a laser on the launch. But the overall concept seems more suitable for a privateer (attacking enemy cargo ships) (or pirate) vice a pirate-hunter. Thinking along the lines of an adventure where you dangle bait for outlaw ships (Corsair, repurposed Free Trader) in a system that is having piracy problems. A pirate that would run from a Cutter might think a Yacht or Safari ship could be a rich plum (rich passengers and owner - and the ship itself) and therefore approach it. The pirate's boarding party can be met with a nasty surprise (well-armed party aboard the target), or the armed Launch can carry a boarding party to the pirate ship (and as Corsairs typically carry ten or less, a well-armed boarding party could take their vessel).