Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old September 23rd, 2017, 07:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
Pyromancer Citizen
Default Trade volume between the Aslan Hierate and the 3I

How big is the trade volume between the Aslan Hierate and the 3I?

I try to get a picture of how many ships pass through the Borderlands subsector.
Old September 24th, 2017, 03:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromancer View Post

I try to get a picture of how many ships pass through the Borderlands subsector.
I guess the question is what does one group have that the other wants. As different species. a lot of equipment is not going to transfer readily, unless custom-made, and I do not see Aslan custom-making things for humans. I do suspect that there is a good trade in meat going to the Aslan from the Imperium, but it is hard to say what might flow in the other direction. Raw materials maybe, but again, the Aslan as described do not seem to me to be the type to do a lot of trading.
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Nail to the mast her holy flag,
Set every threadbare sail,
And give her to the god of storms,
The lightning and the gale!
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:34 PM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromancer View Post

I would start with the trade map:

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/images/...ach_Sector.pdf

From this you can see there is a main (BTN 11) route going from New Moscow (in the Imperium) to Tyokh (in the Hierate).

There is another route from Pryme (in the Imperium) to Akhwohkyal (in the Hierate), which is a BTN 10 route.

Based upon the general rules, there is about 1.1 million Dtons per week along these two routes. So a number of major freighters, and a larger group of liners and smaller traders.

If you want more exact number, let me know and I'll read through the economic data output and get you some better numbers.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:43 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
I would start with the trade map:

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/images/...ach_Sector.pdf

From this you can see there is a main (BTN 11) route going from New Moscow (in the Imperium) to Tyokh (in the Hierate).

There is another route from Pryme (in the Imperium) to Akhwohkyal (in the Hierate), which is a BTN 10 route.

Based upon the general rules, there is about 1.1 million Dtons per week along these two routes. So a number of major freighters, and a larger group of liners and smaller traders.

If you want more exact number, let me know and I'll read through the economic data output and get you some better numbers.
If I may ask, what general rules, and do the rules say what this massive amount of cargo consists off? What does the Imperium have that the Aslan want so badly, and what does the Aslan have that the Imperium wants so badly?
Do you have a security clearance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old September 24th, 2017, 11:54 PM

Visit tjoneslo's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
If I may ask, what general rules, and do the rules say what this massive amount of cargo consists off? What does the Imperium have that the Aslan want so badly, and what does the Aslan have that the Imperium wants so badly?
The general rules make no assumption about the nature of the goods being traded. This is the contradiction of trade in Traveller. Most systems, especially the high population worlds, should be self-sufficient.

For a real world example what does Australia trade with Scotland? Mostly it’s boring things like raw material (e.g. wool), sources of raw materials (e.g. sheep), or small scale manufactured items specific to the source (e.g. haggis).

The Aslan worlds in the Trojan Reaches are mostly colonies. They have an ongoing need for tools, parts, building supplies, and consumer goods. And while they may prefer to have Aslan designed tools, the closer manufacturing base of the Imperial worlds means theirs are cheaper. Not to say the tools and such are not manufactured to Aslan designs and standards.
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:09 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Again, where are these "General Rules" located? What book or version?

Old September 25th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Baron

Gallery : 44
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen

Quote:
I am fairly certain they are talking about GURPS: Far Trader. It posits a very busy Traveller universe with a lot of traffic based on various factors.

I don't recall if it takes into consideration trade outside the Imperium - I seem to recall the model was only for intra-Imperial traffic.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Bloghttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Traveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliver988 View Post
I am fairly certain they are talking about GURPS: Far Trader. It posits a very busy Traveller universe with a lot of traffic based on various factors.

I don't recall if it takes into consideration trade outside the Imperium - I seem to recall the model was only for intra-Imperial traffic.
Essentially, it reduces trade half an order across any border.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Visit tjoneslo's Blog

Quote:
GURPS Traveller: Far Trader, p 10 to 18. This is the rules used to generate the trade routes. I recommend the sidebars on the same pages for more detail.

Sidebars on p20,21 has the description of the gravity trade model used as the basis for the rules.

Sidebars on p38-40 have a listing of examples of good to go with the speculative trade system
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

GT Far Trader only works if you buy into its underlying assumptions - stuff the authors made up. If you don't agree with their underlying assumptions then GT Far Trader is not much use for the OTU.

There is probably a way of generating RUs in T4/T5 that may give a more OTU model of trade volumes.

Failing that I would just make up the levels of trade you need there to be for the scenario or campaign you have in mind.